Author Topic: Marriage look up request - BOOTH / JAMIESON  (Read 5310 times)

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage look up request - BOOTH / JAMIESON
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 08:08 GMT (UK) »
I wish I Knew the answer to that one. I know that my Grandfather was born in Castleton Dec 1904 and I can't find a record of that on Scotlands people! I also have an Annie Scott whom I'm sure was born in canonbie and I can't find that one either.

Lesley
A Dec 1904 birth could well have been registered in January 2005, and that year's birth index and images won't come on line until Jan 2006 due to the 100 year closure period in force for births.

ibi

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 08:10 GMT (UK) »
....snipped ...............

I'm not quite sure what OPR's are...something Parish Registers? I've never come across the site before so it's all new to me. Maybe it might mean something to you?

OPR = the Old Parochial Registers, - the parish registers of the Established Church of Scotland.

ibi

Offline lesley084

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 November 05 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi recieved my certificate today very impressed with the speed but very disapointed with the info on it, the only extra info on it is the parish the Groom came from, no mention of parent names or address so not worth the £10 PAID.

Regards Lesley
amos,scott, armstrong, hume.

Offline Treemaker

• I am sorry my email and website are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Genealogists don't die.They just lose their census
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 November 05 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesley,

Many thanks for the info - sorry there wasn't any more detail, but such is life!

Regards
Martin
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Ormondroyd - North Bierley, Harwood - Leeds, Hilton - Lancashire, Hunt - Kidderminster, Ackroyd - Liversedge, Hooson - Cleckheaton/Halifax, Ashworth - Liversedge, Grainger - Hartwith, Ellis - Cleckheaton/Halifax, Hutchinson - East Ayton, Asquith - Liversedge, Denton - Leeds, Clegg - Cleckheaton, Prince - Leeds & Firth - Liversedge

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 November 05 02:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Martin,

Did you also notice the following in the IGI:
Sarah BOOTH, christened 10 Oct 1816 Wilton Roxburgh Scotland, parents Thomas BOOTH and Betty JAMIESON.

Does Sarah appear in any of your later records in Yorkshire?  That might help confirm that you have the right marriage.

Also, interestingly(?), there's a birth of a Thomas SCOTT, 4 May 1813 Wilton Roxburgh Scotland, parents William SCOTT and Betty JAMIESON; perhaps this is the same Betty having a child before she married Thomas BOOTH ...

It is impossible to know in advance what will appear in an entry in a church register - I've had ones which have nothing more than appears in the IGI but have also had very imformative entries.  So who knows - the entries might say nothing more than the IGI but, on the other hand, might even mention where Thomas comes from and his occupation ...

If you live near an LDS Family History Centre - you can search for locations of these at
http://www.familysearch.org
- then ordering in the film(s) of the particular church register to consult at the FHC is a much cheaper option than purchasing copies of entries from GROS; added to which you might come across other entries of interest when you have the film(s) in front of you.

Good luck,

JAP
PS: There is some good information about Scottish research in the posts at the top of the Scotland General board.  A couple which are very useful are Boongie Pam's posts at:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24468.0.html

Offline Treemaker

• I am sorry my email and website are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Genealogists don't die.They just lose their census
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 November 05 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi JAP,

Thanks for your input. I was aware of the IGI entries you mention and the following 1841 census record seems to back up those details:

1841 Census
Dwelling: Crabtrees, Heckmondwike, Yorkshire
Thomas BOOTH  Head  50  Woollen labourer  Yorkshire
Elizabeth BOOTH  55  Scotland
Thomas BOOTH  25  Woollen labourer  Scotland
Mary BOOTH  15  Yorkshire
Sarah BOOTH  15  Yorkshire
Hugh BOOTH  13  Woollen labourer  Yorkshire

Although it looks like Thomas (jnr) has now taken the BOOTH surname in favour of SCOTT, which is not uncommon.

I am more or less satisfied I have the correct marriage, I just wanted some extra info to put the icing on the cake, so to speak.

Regards
Martin
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Ormondroyd - North Bierley, Harwood - Leeds, Hilton - Lancashire, Hunt - Kidderminster, Ackroyd - Liversedge, Hooson - Cleckheaton/Halifax, Ashworth - Liversedge, Grainger - Hartwith, Ellis - Cleckheaton/Halifax, Hutchinson - East Ayton, Asquith - Liversedge, Denton - Leeds, Clegg - Cleckheaton, Prince - Leeds & Firth - Liversedge

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 06 November 05 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin,

Well, it will certainly be interesting to hear what all the church registers say if you manage to see them in due course.

JAP