Author Topic: Pay to view Sites Covering County Clare  (Read 17478 times)

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pay to view Sites Covering County Clare
« on: Sunday 17 March 13 03:40 GMT (UK) »
Are there any Pay to View  Birth and Marriage sites that cover County Clare. From NZ records John Butler was born circa 1863 to parents William and Bridget nee McMahon. Not expecting to get any furthur back but would like to trace where in County Clare he was from. William is listed as a Labourer

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pay to view Sites Covering County Clare
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 March 13 04:51 GMT (UK) »

Are you aware of the following registered in Gort (soth Galway)?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FR4M-FSQ

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 March 13 05:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gaffy Had seen it on a free search at a P2V site but only knew Galway not Gort. Unfortunately she is the only birth showing up in Galway to a William and Bridget nee anything. The dates are very close though. Verbal history says John was an only child but another of my Greats had the same story told. Turned out to be one of 12 births , but the only one to survive childhood. That name Bridget McMahon is so common and William Butler is hardly rare either so had tagged it as a maybe but possible double up.

Offline Canterburynorth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 March 13 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Did John die in NZ? If so perhaps purchasing his death printout  will give you his place of birth. :) I have had to do this with my County Clare family.

Cheers
FORD family,     Devon England, Amberley  New Zealand

KIDD family,      Keith Bannfshire, Scotland

DOODY family   County Clare, Ireland- Canterbury  NZ.

ALEXANDER GRANT & JANET JAMIESON,  BANFF SCOTLAND

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 March 13 06:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leandra Both Marriage and Death just said Co. Clare. Hit the same wall with all my Irish ancestors ie only County listed.

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to the person who sent me the PM listing off the one place that offers a "package deal" Pity for the person wanting to look up a single record that may exist near the beginning of record keeping.

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 May 13 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hey Gaffy. The birth of Bridget to William and Bridget McMahon suddenly looks more hopeful. Have found it listed elsewhere under Crusheen baptisms, with more details. Turns out they were from the Townland of Bun(n)ahow which is a tiny sliver of 157 acres in Clare that juts into the townland of Beagh in Galway. The Union is Gort  hence probably the confusion. When you do a search of "Bunnahow" most of the hits are for well off Butlers but they seem to have been there for a while so the younger son of a younger son etc could easily have "descended" to being a labourer.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 May 13 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hey Gaffy. The birth of Bridget to William and Bridget McMahon suddenly looks more hopeful. Have found it listed elsewhere under Crusheen baptisms, with more details. Turns out they were from the Townland of Bun(n)ahow which is a tiny sliver of 157 acres in Clare that juts into the townland of Beagh in Galway. The Union is Gort  hence probably the confusion. When you do a search of "Bunnahow" most of the hits are for well off Butlers but they seem to have been there for a while so the younger son of a younger son etc could easily have "descended" to being a labourer.

Yes, I see what you mean, most hits coming back refer to William Butler of Bunnahow,  JP and High Sheriff of Clare... and there's a William Butler of Bunnahow (not sure if the same man) whose estate in the early 1870s was so important (750+ head of cattle / sheep) that when they auctioned it off they put on a special train to bring in potential buyers.

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 May 13 10:34 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk