Author Topic: Hare and Hounds, Wepre, Northop.  (Read 6432 times)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hare and Hounds, Wepre, Northop.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 May 14 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Liverbird50,

I am surprised at the response from Flintshire RO. I have an ancestor buried at St Mark's myself. He was a 3xgt grandfather, buried there in 1868. There are others as well. I have seen the transcriptions of the gravestones, or Monumental Inscriptions as the booklet is titled. I looked at this in Connah's Quay library within the last 12 months. I suggest you try there and see if they are more helpful.

Jo.

Offline liverbird50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 May 14 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo,
It seems I am to be baulked at the final hurdle! Thanks for your information yet again. I have been back on to the Clwyd Family History Society. I now understand that theirs is voluntary work, and they didn't come into being until the 1980s after the gravestones had been moved, and probably hadn't recorded the stones before they were moved, therefore no record to give to the Archivist.
However, you have actually seen it for yourself, wow, not what I had just been told then. I have just phoned Mold Library. Apparently Connahs Quay library is closed until June for refurbishment - again things are straightforward on this final leg of my search. He looked and said they only had records of inscriptions for the town cemetery!! I am now totally confused having been bounced back and forth between Clwyd FHSoc, Library, Flint Records Office!! Its also further complicated by the fact that there is no Vicar in post at St Marks now, and wont be until the new incumbent arrives in June.
Would you happen to know if I could contact a Church Warden there? You have been so helpful Jo, I just cant give up now!
Liverbird50 (Lynda)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 May 14 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Liverbird50,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing such difficulties with this quest.

I don't know whether there is a church warden in existence for St Mark's. I should have thought that there would be someone responsible however. No idea who that might be. They have services there on a Sunday and another day in the week. I think it may have abeen on a Wednesday.

Your luck is running true to form with this as I lived in that area for a brief time until recently. I am now 300 miles away, too far to be of help.

If all else fails, I suggest you hang on until Connah's Quay library reopens as they hold many local records there. These include transcriptions of parish registers for Connah's Quay, Northop and some more. There were other records including the monumental inscriptions which filled 2 books I think.

Sorry I cannot be of more help to you.

Jo.

Offline liverbird50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 May 14 16:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for responding again Jo. As you say nothing has run easily with this search, just makes the challenge all the more satisfying when it is conquered!

Looks like June is the month for answers. There should then be a new Vicar in post at St Marks, and the library at Connahs Quay will be reopened. Failing that I will just make the trip up to CQ and use my eyes!!
Kindest regards,
Lynda

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Lynda,

There is a second cemetery in Connah's Quay, so just bear that in mind. The one at St Mark's is relatively small, so I presume they used another area as time went on. I don't know what date the new one commenced in use. This is at Bryn Road, Connah's Quay.

I did find this but cannot see the name you are seeking.

http://www.tom-mercer-mi-indexes.org.uk/Connah's%20Quay%20Cemetery.htm

Also, Genuki carries information on Connah's Quay generally.

http://genuki.org.uk/big/wal/FLN/ConnahsQuay/

Good luck!

Jo

Offline iforonwy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 August 14 16:50 BST (UK) »
Just came across this request this afternoon. I was born and bred in the Quay although live a long way away now. My late father was the local funeral director and so I am familiar with the graves/cemeteries in the Quay.

I am not sure when the cemetery opened in Bryn Road/Kings Road. It is possible of course as you say that there never was a headstone.

One line of enquiry might also be that there may have been an inquest as you say he died in or near the river. I concur with the other poster to this query that he might have been taken to the Hare & Hounds following the tragedy.

You mention the name Oldfield in your enquiry. There are still members of the Oldfield family in Connah's Quay so it might be worth trying to contact one of them.

As regards St Marks church the new vicar is in place but as a newcomer and not local to the area might not have much information. There is a Churchwarden for the church but I would think that your best line of enquiry would be the verger. As I am living away and my cousin who was a lay reader at the church sadly passed away a few months ago I do not have to hand the name of the verger.

Hope that this goes a little way to help you in your search.

Offline iforonwy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 August 14 16:53 BST (UK) »
Just another quick thought. As the person with him was from Runcorn could he have been taken back there for burial?