Author Topic: Edward Peters, Buckley  (Read 8538 times)

Offline Devablue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Peters, Buckley
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 06 November 14 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Just had a look on NWales BMD for John Edward Iball 1879 and there are two very similar entries - Mold/35/47 and Mold/35/47a. Anyone know if they are different versions (eg long and short) of the same birth certificate?

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 06 November 14 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I haven't used the North Wales BMD to order any certificates... just the Free BMD numbers and the GRO site...  (costs just under 10 pounds I think)

The Free BMD only has one John Edward Iball reference in 1879. 
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
Iball John Edward   Holywell   11b 278

Here is the GRO site
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

This is the only way that I have ordered anything in the past.  Perhaps other people could give you direction about using the NW BMD numbers to order a certificate.     

RK

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 06 November 14 19:39 GMT (UK) »
The NorthWales BMD references are used for ordering from the local office.Clicking on the reference brings up a summary form,and clicking on the reference again provides an order form with details.
The office for Flintshire is at Llwynegrin Hall Mold Tel 01352 703333
I would ring them to ask about the "dual reference"

http://www.flintshire.gov.uk/en/Resident/Registration-Service/Certificates2.aspx

Regards
Roger

Offline Devablue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 07 November 14 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both - again.

In the past I have written to the local offices but it is probably time to register with GRO and give it a go. It also appears to be cheaper. I have ordered the certificate today and will post the details when received.

Regards,

DevaBlue

Offline Devablue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 23 November 14 11:12 GMT (UK) »
This is an update for those who have kindly helped in unravelling the life of Edward Peters of Buckley  – my great grandfather.

Edwards Peters, funeral report for December 1932. Some progress here. It was suggested that Edward Peters died and was buried on 15th December 1932 at Bistre given that there is a Parish record of a burial of an Edward Hall (actually Iball) of 132, Mold Road aged 75. I have checked the Mold, Deeside and Buckley Leader for December 1932 and in the last week of December there is report of a funeral of an Edward Peters held at Bistre on Thursday (15th December). There are no details of his life other than he lived at Mold Road, was the eldest son of Mr and Mrs John Peters and was 75 years of age. This is almost certainly our man but yet again there is the conundrum of the parish register referring to Edward Iball and the newspaper report Edwards Peters. My impression is that when he had dealings with the family (eg his son’s wedding) he reverted to Peters but otherwise used his mother’s maiden name - Iball. Why, therefore, the Parish register should show a burial for an Edward Iball in December 1932 is difficult to understand. 

John Edward Peters. We guessed that my grandfather might have been originally John Edward Iball given that my great grandfather often used his mother’s maiden name, Iball, on leaving the family home. On this basis I have had a look at the birth certificate for a John Edward Iball born on 6 July 1879. However, this looks like a dead end. He is the son of John and Margaret Iball of Daisy Hill, Buckley.

Difficult to know where to go next.

Edward Peters/Iball. The baptism record for Bistre in January 1857 looks right. In addition there is a birth certificate in 1857 for an “Edward Ibal” Holywell 11b 275 – possibly the Edward baptised at Bistre in January.

John Edward Peters. It may well be that, given that he was illegitimate, his birth was registered under his mother’s name. There are a few options in the Bistre parish records for 1879/80 eg  a John born to Mary Anne Hughes in October 1880. Worth investigation.

DevaBlue

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 24 November 14 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Very interesting Devablue.  You are certainly making progress with this part of your tree. 

Good news that you found the 1932 funeral notice in the paper... I agree that this certainly sounds like your Edward.

It looks like Edward Iball Peters uses his registered/legal name of Iball for official/church purposes.  He was baptized, married and buried under this last name.  The newspaper report of his burial used the name most people would know him by.  I guess the important thing was to let the local people know who had died and where/when he was buried ... the "official" legal name wouldn't be necessary.  So, Peters was used instead of Iball. 

For your records  -- the baptism date for Edward Iball, son of Anne Iball, was Jan 24, 1857 (in my previous post, I just gave the month, not the actual date). This could very well fit with the birth registration you found for January 1957. 

The John Edward Iball record for 1879 looked really promising.  Too bad it is for another man.   You are right, he could have been registered and baptized under his mother's maiden name.  I also wonder if you need to widen your search to Cheshire and possibly Lancashire.  Sometimes, unwed mothers went away to have their children.  I have run across this... where someone was actually born in a neighbouring county, but listed Buckley as place of birth on census records, etc.

I still wonder if the John Peters living with William Crofts (next door to Edward Peters and Elizabeth Crofts) in 1901 is your John.   He was said to be 19 then, so born about 1881 or 1882?? 

RK