Author Topic: index for burials  (Read 11423 times)

Offline mad for trad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
index for burials
« on: Saturday 27 September 08 22:22 BST (UK) »
hi have been researching husbands family,at least four generations were born in kilsyth and died there, we have uncovered a few unfortunate pit disasters. how do we find out where his relatives are buried.thanks ;)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: index for burials
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 September 08 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi mad (or would you prefer trad)  ;D

Probably the best idea would be to post as much detail on each individual that you already know and ask for info that you'd like to know. If you keep each individual as a separate thread, that way, anyone finding info on them can add it accordingly. Threads can become mixed up very quickly and end up about something or someone completely unrelated to who or what they start out about!

I've photographed and transcribed all the existing legible grave stones in the Churchyard (the oldest part of Kilsyth Cemetery) and all the stones mentioning men/women killed in WW1/WW2 in the Cemetery. I would need to look through all the inscriptions to see if I could find anything relating to a death in one of the local collieries but if that wasn't mentioned, I wouldn't really know who I was looking for. Some stones have lots of info while others only have the bare minimum.

One example I found of men killed in collieries is the following: (in the cemetery)

James Farrow and Catherine Stark                     
Erected by his parents and fellow workers in memory of JAMES FARROW aged 25 years
Who died on March 24th 1903 from injuries received at Aberfoyle Slate Quarries

The above CATHERINE STARK died 22nd October 1904 aged 52 years
Their son Pte. WILLIAM FARROW killed in action in France 5th October 1914 aged 30 years   
The above JAMES FARROW died 28th June 1918 aged 72 years
Their daughter MARY FARROW died 14th March 1919 aged 29 years            
Also JOHN MACKIE FARROW killed at Greyshill Colliery 15th July 1943 aged 57 years
Also ALEXANDER STARK FARROW died 10th July 1965 aged 82 years.
[/i]

Obviously the above stone was of interest to me because of Pte. William Farrow, but I try and transcribe the whole MI as well.

In the meantime, I'll have a look through the records I've got and see if I can find anything else.

Anne

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 September 08 20:19 BST (UK) »
Found another: (also in the cemetery)

In loving memory of WILLIAM CHALMERS, late Scottish Rifles               
Died 22nd September 1932 aged 72 years
Also my beloved son JAMES W. CHALMERS accidentally killed in Dumbreck Colliery
10th May 1940 aged 37˝ years

Also CHRISTINA WRIGHT beloved wife of the above William Chalmers
Died 23rd March 1946 aged 85 years
Also her beloved son-in-law JOHN CRAWFORD McCRAE died 27th March 1952 aged 63 years

Anne

Offline mad for trad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 September 08 13:27 BST (UK) »
hi Apanderson thanks my husbands gt grandad was david shaw marshall he was found on 8th of dec 1897 he died due to a stone in th e pit he was working on becoming dislodged and hitting him it appears it was actually later as a result of the accident at work he died,his father john marshall also died when the roof collapsed in the pit where he was working that was in Kirkintulloch 1858 he was 28, John lived in Kilsyth his wife was agnes marshall nee shaw my husband and I both went up to Kilsth on Saturday and visited the graveyard to see if we could find them but did not know where to look local library was shut or we would have tried there thanks again trad  :-*

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 September 08 14:04 BST (UK) »
I've had another look through the MI's I've got but unfortunately don't have any which match the names you have.

There is a stone in the Churchyard bearing: 1820   John Marshall & Mary Shaw but this is obviously from a lot further back than your Marshalls

You'd need to contact North Lanarkshire Council to find out the Section and Lair Number for Kilsyth Cemetery. There's a wee map just as you go in the gates on the notice board which would help you locate the correct section and after that, it would just be a case of finding the stone (presuming that there is one). Not every stone has a number, but a lot of them do and it's just a case of figuring out which way the lairs run by a process of elimination (very technical stuff!!  ;D )

The lairs in Kilsyth Cemetery have 3 feet 'centres', so even if you find there isn't a stone, you'd be able to work out quite easily where the grave is.

Now and again, you can locate a grave by comparing the first dates on each inscription, but this wee theory doesn't always work as some lairs can be in the possession of families for years before they're actually used whilst others around it are only bought when necessity arises.

http://www.northlan.gov.uk/living+here/births+marriages+and+deaths/deaths/burial+grounds+and+churchyards.html#oc

Marshall and Shaw seem to be quite common names in Kilsyth so I wish you the best of luck in finding them.

Anne

Offline mad for trad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 September 08 14:59 BST (UK) »
hi anne thanks for youre help will look up the websites . we noticed there was lots of Marshalls buried in the graveyard probably some will be related since my husbands family lived in Kilsyth for at least six generations that we know of cheers for now Sylvia

Offline carolblu

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hiya, if you go into the little building to the left of the cemetery gates you will find one of the guys who will give you the burial books.  If there is no one there then look around the cemetery for one of the keepers they are never far away.  Only open Mon - Fri.  Good luck, I have spent many hours there LOL...Take sandwhiches! regards Caroline

Offline mad for trad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carolblu sorry havent answered sooner havent been on the site for a while thanks for youre help really appreciated :)

Offline awd7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 November 10 13:31 GMT (UK) »
I wish I had found this earlier. I am doing some work for a friend in the US and this is one of the leads

"There is a stone in the Churchyard bearing: 1820   John Marshall & Mary Shaw but this is obviously from a lot further back than your Marshalls"

I am going to Kilsyth tomorrow (my daughter lives in Glasgow) - so if you have any ideas where in the cemetery this stone is it would be great. My visit is a bit rushed and I didn't have time to contact the cemetery itself (and the office is closed tomorrow).

Alan