Author Topic: MACKAY/MCKAY Family at Dornoch and Assynt  (Read 42229 times)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Re: MACKAY/MCKAY Family at Dornoch and Assynt
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 February 11 21:17 GMT (UK) »
One never knows
Did you manage to send a PM
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline DeeMackay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 12 February 11 10:43 GMT (UK) »
yes thanks.
Webster, Mackay, Oldmeldrum,  Nicholson, Sutherland, McCallum, Dunoon, Harker, McLellan, Russell, McAlpine, Kennedy, Smith, Cumming, Lane, Devon,  Cloete, Vienings, Leemhuis, Schoonraad, Auret, Raatjes,  Kuiper, Holland, Germany, Myers, Yorkshire, Goodger, Penfold, Watson, Coates, Williamson, Marshall,  Wallis, Galer, London, Horrell, Radford,  Howe, Ruff, Oelrichs, Brown, Brenchley, Treviranus, Lorent, Kohne, Timmerman,  Dwerhagen, Huneken, Schlepe, Schnedermann, Von Aschen,

Offline momkow5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 06:23 BST (UK) »
The following are my ancestors and would love to hear from anyone who knows of these people. (*)
1841 Scotland Census- Fourpenny, Dornock (civil parish), Sutherland
William McKay, age 40, born Sutherland, Scotland, occupation ag lab
Also:
Lilly Fraser 70
William McKay 40
Jane(Gray) McKay 32
Robert McKay 11
Lilly McKay 9
Leny McKay 7
Andrew McKay 5
John McKay 3
Sarah McKay 3
Margret McKay 1

This is my family's ancestors. In 1855, on the ship Andrew Foster, they would sail for the New York, US and Canada. Saulte Ste. Marie, Onatario and also Saulte Ste. Marie, MI, the UP. They also lived in West Zorra, Oxford and possibly Lambton County, at least the children did. More children that were born to William and Jane were: Georgina, William, James, Mary, Hector, and Jane, an infant in 1855. That is the last record of this family so I don't know if they had more children after that. I think William died in 1873 in West Zorra with Angus being the informant, if I have the correct William Mckay's death record. Need to verify this.
I don't know when Jane died, although I know her maiden name was Gray. Andrew McKay, one of the sons and my g,g grandfather, was the first Reeve of Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. in 1871. After his wife's death (Mary Jane Walt was his wife) who died in 1899 in Dafter, MI of typhoid, He, Andrew, moved to Washington state with several of his children.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline christmack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Photos of MACKAY/MCKAY Family at Dornoch and Assynt
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 01:10 BST (UK) »

Mike Webber,

You left messages on this page some time back now regarding our Mackay family and just recently I have been given some photographs that I think you might be interested in and I thought that you would like copies of these.

The family was of Robert Mackay who married his cousin Margaret Mackay ? Some of the photographs appear to taken of their children.

I have tried to contact you on your e.mail address that I had from our earlier contact but I have not had any reply.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Cheers,
Christine Mackay
ATTRILL    (Isle of Wight)
BULL        (I of W)
COLLINGWOOD (Lincs, Eng)
ERHAR(D)T (Baden,Germany)
HAIDLE     (Wurt, Germany)
HENNESEY (Limerick}
HORWOOD (Isle of Wight)
JUDD        (I of W)
KREUTZMANN(Lubeck-West & Gustrow-East Germany)
LAWLOR (Lim, Ire)
LENEY     (Sussex,Eng)
MACKAY  (Suth, Scot)
MCKEON (Ros, Ire)
NEWIN    (I of W)
NICHOLSON (Ross, Scot)
O'BRIEN (Tipp, Ire)
PAXFORD (Oxford,  Eng)
ROWDEN (M/sex,Eng
SMITH (Hants)
TURNER (Surrey & M/sex, Eng)D
WULFRATH (Gustrow - East Germany)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 09:07 BST (UK) »
What a great find

I have found a Robert Mackay married to my grt grt grandfathers( Adam McKenzie)
sister Alexandrina McKenzie they sailed to New Zealand in 1877 .

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline christmack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 11:33 BST (UK) »
Aspin,

Sorry but your Robert must be a different fellow to ours.
He married his Cousin Margaret Mackay and as far as we know they stayed in Scotland.

Cheers,
Christine
ATTRILL    (Isle of Wight)
BULL        (I of W)
COLLINGWOOD (Lincs, Eng)
ERHAR(D)T (Baden,Germany)
HAIDLE     (Wurt, Germany)
HENNESEY (Limerick}
HORWOOD (Isle of Wight)
JUDD        (I of W)
KREUTZMANN(Lubeck-West & Gustrow-East Germany)
LAWLOR (Lim, Ire)
LENEY     (Sussex,Eng)
MACKAY  (Suth, Scot)
MCKEON (Ros, Ire)
NEWIN    (I of W)
NICHOLSON (Ross, Scot)
O'BRIEN (Tipp, Ire)
PAXFORD (Oxford,  Eng)
ROWDEN (M/sex,Eng
SMITH (Hants)
TURNER (Surrey & M/sex, Eng)D
WULFRATH (Gustrow - East Germany)

Offline Catherine McC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 30 March 12 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hello DeeMackay,

I might have some answers about William McCallum -- and have plenty of questions! My grandmother, Josephine McCallum, born in Oldmeldrum, was the youngest sister of William McCallum. William and his two brothers fought in the Boer War, then decided to settle in South Africa. If you're a grand-daughter of my great uncle, then we're related!

I just joined rootschat after seeing your message -- shall we continue discussions via email (not sure how to do that)?

Cathy Kristiansen

Hi Christine,

Am new to this site and so very excited to find confirmation of desendents of Donald James Mackay who married Margaret Nicholson.  Donald is my 3 great grandfather.  His son George Levison Gower Mackay married Elizabeth Hardie in Oldmeldrum, Scotland.  One of their daughters, Maggie Jane Mackay, Married John Webster, and their daughter Annie was my grandmother, born in Old Meldrum, Scotland, came to live in South Africa and married William McCallum.

I haven't been able to find out why Annie came to live in South Africa - would anyone know?   

Many thanks
Dee
McKay McCallum Robertson Halket Harper Steel Milne Lumsden Park Wilson

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 30 March 12 22:47 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Cathy
What you need to do is make two more posting just write whatever you want
then you can send a PM to Dee

There you can exchange e-mails
Good Luck
Elizabeth

Offline Catherine McC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 31 March 12 02:48 BST (UK) »
Not sure I understand, but I'll post another message to DeeMcKay. William McCallum was part of the family that included my grandmother, Josephine. The family of 8 lived in Oldmeldrum until the boys went to the Boer War in 1900. They decided to stay there after the war. William eventually came back to Scotland, died in Aberdeen. I wonder if it's the same William you refer to.

I hope to hear back (after figuring out this initial hurdle!)

Cathy Kristiansen (descended from McKays and McCallums)

Hi Christine,

Am new to this site and so very excited to find confirmation of desendents of Donald James Mackay who married Margaret Nicholson.  Donald is my 3 great grandfather.  His son George Levison Gower Mackay married Elizabeth Hardie in Oldmeldrum, Scotland.  One of their daughters, Maggie Jane Mackay, Married John Webster, and their daughter Annie was my grandmother, born in Old Meldrum, Scotland, came to live in South Africa and married William McCallum.

I haven't been able to find out why Annie came to live in South Africa - would anyone know?   

Many thanks
Dee

McKay McCallum Robertson Halket Harper Steel Milne Lumsden Park Wilson