Author Topic: Crosby  (Read 10110 times)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crosby
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 January 14 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Carndonagh is in the RC parish of Donagh. Unfortunately their baptism and marriage records only start in 1847, so you are not going to find William’s baptism for his parents marriage (assuming they married in that parish) from that source.

I have searched on the Irish civil indexes for deaths for William & Ann Crosby/Crosbie in Inishowen 1864 – 1900 but there are none listed. That might suggest both died before 1864. There are however a few births and marriages listed, so the name was certainly found in that area OK.

There were a couple of William Crosbies who lived in Ramelton. One died 25.3.1894, the other 5.6.1905. Both had probate files.

http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie

Looking at the 1901 census for Co Donegal there are only 11 Crosbie names listed. All were either Church of Ireland or Presbyterian, save for 1 RC who was the local Magistrate, and he was born in Scotland. So I wouldn’t be too certain that your family were RC. None of the Crosbies on the 1901 census lived particularly close to Carndonagh.

Carndonagh Presbyterian records start in 1830 and are on-line on the rootsireland site. However there are no Crosbies listed. The local Church of Ireland’s records were lost in the 1922 fire, so no joy there either.
Elwyn

Offline mstechr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 January 14 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elwyn,

William Crosby & Anne Shea were in the US by 1850 so they died here.  I'm thinking it might be hard to track them if there aren't any records in Carndonagh until 1847.  I think they emigrated in 1847 or 48.  I'm not sure how to connect them to other Crosby's in the Carndonagh area.  I seem to be at a deadend with them.

Thank you.

Tammy

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 January 14 11:15 GMT (UK) »
http://www.castlegarden.org

William Crosby age 23- ship Fidelia arrived 23.2.1848

William Crosby age 26 Ship Columbia arrived 1851