Author Topic: McGregor (McGrigor) brickwall(s)  (Read 13331 times)

Offline n4mv3t

• RootsChat Member
  • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: McGregor (McGrigor) brickwall(s)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 03:54 BST (UK) »

... I had a look at James McGregor and Ann Wilson, as you suggested, and yes they looked very promising ... but then I looked at the 1841 census and found a John McGregor aged 55 and Ann aged 58 living at ????? (refer image 1 below) ... so maybe they are not right

Is this the entry you mean:

John Mcgrigor 55 schoolmaster b. Inverness-shire
Ann Mcgrigor 58 b. Inverness-shire
Marin Mcgrigor 30 b. Inverness-shire

Address: Camerory, Cromdale, Inverness-shire

Not sure this would necessarily connect with the christening entries in Glass at the turn of the century...

Monica

yes, thanks ... I can't see a connection either ... think I'll put that one in the "wrong file"
CHADWICK - Amersham/Bethnal Green, UK
FOSH/FOUACHE - London, UK
ESTALL - Bethnal Green, UK
LOCKHART - Airdrie/Springburn/Baillieston Scotland
McGREGOR/McGRIGOR - Gartly, Scotland
RUSSELL/RUSSEL/RUSSAL - Mortlach, Scotland

Offline n4mv3t

• RootsChat Member
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 04:25 BST (UK) »
You know what it is like for sure with spellings of those unique Scottish places for this period....you have to be open minded!

There is this entry in 1841 which I wondered whether it is the same as you are seeing on Alexander's 1832 christining entry:

There is a farming family, headed up by a 73 year old William Bruce in 1841. The address shows as Burncruinock, Gartly.

For this, you are likely to also find it as Burncruinack/h etc. A number of wills & testaments showing on SP for the various farmers and family members through the 19th C.

Monica

my thanks again ... re Burncruinack/h etc, I have now had a look at the wills on SP and  the names are Bruce to 1851, Ronald to 1890, Grant to 1894 and Ronald to 1895 and no helpful maiden names ...  ???

Offline n4mv3t

• RootsChat Member
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 04:59 BST (UK) »
I've just had a look through James Godsman's book on Glass to see if there are any McGregor blacksmiths - no sign. However, at Marketroad, Glass, were Alexander McGregor, master tailor (1832-1916) and his wife, Annie Lobban (1834-1899). Their son, Peter, built the neighbouring house of Roselea, where he carried on a grocery and tailor's business.

many thanks for that information ... because of it (no McGregor Blacksmith in Gartly) I am now looking further afield, figuring that as a young man James McGregor became a tailor/journeyman for who ever he was apprenticed to and had an opportunity to "look around" and decide where he wanted to settle and progress with his trade, and he chose Gartly, away from his fathers town/village ... so, how far would journeymen travel? I guess the answer to that is "as far as necessary to make a good living" ...  ???

Offline n4mv3t

• RootsChat Member
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 05:15 BST (UK) »
"... I have attached another image (Burnbrunach ... [?] ... ) ... it is the word that follows Jane Adam's name on Alexanders birth on OPR ... I am assuming that it is a place name (it doesn't come up on Google maps), but have noticed it appearing on some trees as a surname."

It is a farm name, but spelt "Burncruinach". It was/is in the parish of Gartly, North West of Culdrain.

If you go to Google Maps, search for "Culdrain", at the top left of the screen, you will see "Burncruinach Wood", if you zoom in on the wood, there are 2 steadings above and left, Burncruinach is the upper, larger of the two. It has a loop road around it. You can also get a "Street view" of it.

Regards

Malky

Malky ... thanks, that is most helpful, because following on from my reply to GR2, where I state that I am now looking further afield for John McGregor, Blacksmith, your info after I had checked the street view (and "Burncruinach" wills) is leading me to think that maybe John McGregor was not a town/village Blacksmith, but a resident on farm blacksmith because judging from all of the "outbuildings" Burncruinach was a very busy place and so I am guessing a resident blacksmith would be viable ... I would appreciate anyones thoughts on this ... thanks

Offline n4mv3t

• RootsChat Member
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 05:29 BST (UK) »
Further, he is buried in Gartly, in the same plot as

Jane Adam 30 Dec.1853,   George McGregor 3 May 1858,   Jane McGregor 10 Mar.1862 James McGregor    24 Jan.1892

Info from ANESFHS MI Index.

Regards

Malky

more great information!! ... how lucky am I!! .... thank you ... btw, so that I can follow up that info, what is ANESFHS (my Aussie brain thinks that part of it is Elgin Shire with Historical Society at the end) ... again, thanks.

... now I am wondering if there is a headstone ...  ::)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 20:08 BST (UK) »
As per your request

http://www.anesfhs.org.uk/databank/miindex/miindex.php

In all probability, there will be a headstone, as the contents of the previous post are from a headstone reading.
Aberdeen and North East Family History Society main web page below.

http://www.anesfhs.org.uk/

If you contact them, they may tell you the whole reading from the headstone. You can only ask!

Regards

Malky

Offline MaLoCo1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 September 13 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hi n4mv3T,  I've just seen your postings on Roots Chat and have joined up in order to reply.  Our family is directly descended from James McGregor of Drumbulg (1803-1892) and I have much information.  I also live in Australia and would be very interested to learn of your family connection.

Offline MaLoCo1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 September 13 08:56 BST (UK) »
Re James McGregor who was born on 10th May, 1803 in Glass.  His father was John McGrigor of Netherton and his mother was Anne Wilson.  John was a blacksmith and died on 12/5/1857 aged 8s.  He died from asthma at Cookshill, Kildrummy.  His two children were Margaret, born in 1801 and James, born in 1803.

James and Jane Adam had 8 children and my family's connection is through the eldest, Alexander (Sandy) who was born at Burncruinach, Gartly on 23/9/1832.  I have extensive details of all James' children and personally know many of the descendants.

Offline n4mv3t

• RootsChat Member
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 24 October 13 23:16 BST (UK) »
G'day MaLoCo1 ... thanks for posting, I've been having a "rest" from researching the tree 'cos "man brain" was getting confused ...  ;D ... but am back again, rechecking my research and so hope you will reply ... am in northern rural SA