Author Topic: lightfoot  (Read 7316 times)

Offline stevel

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
lightfoot
« on: Friday 05 March 04 14:50 GMT (UK) »
looking for LIGHTFOOT data documented  for Accrington area. John Emanuel Lightfoot Accringtons first mayor had a family bible in 1892, now? Steve

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
Re:lightfoot
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 March 04 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steve,

I would love to help you with your quest for knowledge but I am not sure what it is you are asking for help with  ???

Are you looking for the bible ?

or

Are you just looking for any information on John Emanuel Lightfoot ? If so it would help a great deal if you could give a guide as to what year you are researching.

RootsChat  :)
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline stevel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 March 04 20:19 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the reply, ideally Im trying to trace the bible. John Emanuel and my direct line split around 1760, so the data on him that I have found are purely a side interest. Most of this data and the bible reference is from his funeral and epitaph from the Accrington paper of 1892. However all info is of interest - the disturbing thing  however was that the photo of John Emanuel circa 1890 that I have bears a frightening resemblance to my father in his later years.
Are you of John Emanuel' line?

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 March 04 21:51 GMT (UK) »
I am not connected to John Emanuel at all, my only interest is in trying to help you.

I found this site which gives you some background on Accrington
Our journey begins outside the Town Hall. In 1858 - the year Queen Victoria was proclaimed Sovereign of India - this magnificent building in the Italianate style was built as a memorial to Prime Minister Sir Robert Peel. Peel (1788-1850), whose forebears lived at Peel Fold, Oswaldtwistle, and whose family were the largest employers and the most extensive landowners in the district, is best remembered as the founder of the modern police force (‘Peelers’ Bobbies’)

Following his death in 1850 a subscription fund was opened and a total of £1,056 was raised. The money was incorporated into a company called ‘The Peel Institution, Market and Baths Company’. With the aid of a mortgage, the company raised about £11,000 which was sufficient for building the Peel Institution but the ambitious plans for the Market and Baths were later abandoned.

The building was originally leased to the Mechanics Institution for social and educational purposes when it opened in 1858 before becoming the Town Hall when Accrington was granted its charter as a Borough in 1878. The first Mayor was John Emanuel Lightfoot His portrait now hangs above the stairs in the Library.

http://www.lancshistory.co.uk/hyndburn/acorntrail.htm

There is more archived records held at Manchester Central Library
.W. Grafton and Co. of Broad Oak Printworks, Accrington, (formerly Fort, Taylor and Bury, then Hargreaves, Dugdale and Co.), calico printers.

This firm benefited from the management and scientific expertise of John Emmanuel Lightfoot, his brother Thomas Lightfoot and Thomas’ son John. The dye, aniline black, was discovered by John Lightfoot. Broad Oak Printworks was also the site for experiments by John Mercer, works chemist and later partner at Oakenshaw Printworks, whose ‘mercerisation’ process improved the finish of cotton fibre.

Business memoranda books, notes and diaries of John Lightfoot, his sons Thomas and John Emanuel Lightfoot and grandson John, 1818-1869; trial books, 1831-post December 1864 (9 volumes); receipt books, 1831-1871 (12 volumes); swatch books, 1841-1871 (8 volumes); pattern books and pattern samples, 1840s, 1867-1872 and un-dated; pattern books, 1850-post 1857, 1863 (2 volumes); newspaper cuttings, 20th century; papers and notes on patents with printed specifications.

There are some good links to try on the Lancashire board surrounding manufacturing and Industry which may help you with your research.

Best Wishes

RootsChat  ;D
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline stevel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 March 04 15:11 GMT (UK) »
thanks for that data, i will add it to the list.
I have tried several sources, local FHS, Accrington newspaper included, in an effort to trace the bible, so far no success. Its either travelled down a female family line or long destroyed. One can only hope its the first ......................

Offline Fredaml

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: lightfoot
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Steve, my husband is a direct descendant of John Emanuel Lightfoot, 1st mayor of Accrington, but he has no family bible.  Was it something specific you needed to know?  I have some details on the family tree.
Fredaml

Offline Bejantine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 October 08 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My family were great friends of JEL - he was executor to a will and I think his daughter (Mrs Bunting) died at one of my family's homes.

Also a child was named after him.

I am wondering if there is a connection through either of his wives but I am having trouble finding out who they were and who their parents were in case their is a blood relationship.

Do you know if there is any HAWORTH, CLAYTON or BIRTWISTLE connection there?

I have a copy of his obituary document (several pages) produced at the time of his death.
Fife - JOHNSTON, FOULIS,BATHGATE,KIRK<br />Edinburgh - BATHGATE, HARDIE<br />Angus - KIDD<br />Perthshire - STEWART, MacFARLANE, MENZIES, CAMPBELL, ROBERTSON<br />Lancashire: PILKINGTON, HALL, BOSS, PARTINGTON, JUBB, VARLEY, SNAPE, HAWORTH<br />Yorkshire: MORRIS, PILKINGTON, FITTON<br />Co Durham - OATES, SMITH, JONES<br />Northumberland - McCLAIN<br />Worcestershire- JONES, DARBY

Offline Fredaml

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 October 08 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hellow Bejantine, it's interesting to hear your connection with JEL.  His first wife was Mary Hutchinson b. June 15, 1800.  Her father was also called John, I think.  They m. August 12, 1824 at Altham in Accrington, and had 6 children, Joseph, Ann, James, John, Elizabeth and Joseph II.  Most of whom died, save for Ann who survived the longest, I believe.  JEL's second wife was Sarah Hartley, b. September 24, 1804.  They married May 4, 1837 and had 2 children: John Bernard, and Emma Grace.   Emma Grace b. July 31, 1840 as you rightly say, m. William Bunting, we think in 1865.  They had 5 children:Wesley, William, John Emanuel, Annie and Ernest .

JEL the mayor was my husband David's GGG Uncle.  David's G grandfather was John L the chemist who invented aniline black.  He died aged 40: June 19, 1872.  He and his wife, Anne Rider, had 7 children: Thomas, Emma, Kate, Lucy, John Emanuel, Bessie, Maud.  This John Emanuel, b 1868 is David's grandfather.  Lucy Lightfoot b. October 13, 1866, also had a daughter Lucy, and this is where you get the Haworth connection.  Lucy born 1898 m James Edwin Haworth b. August 2, 1894.  He was David's uncle and he owned a cotton mill near to Howard and Bulloughs in Accrington.  They had 2 ch: Norman and John.  Norman is dead now.  David still has contact with John Haworth, son of Lucy and James.  We have no record of any Birtwistle or Clayton connection.

Do tell us a little more about yourself.  Do you have connections with the Haworths or others in this family tree?  If the obituary you refer to is the one by RS Crossley as it appeared in the Acc Observer, then we have the first two sections: the man who founded the dynasty, and the man who discovered the rainbow.  Frustratingly, at the end of this 2nd article dated April 22 1988, it says Next Tuesday: More about this family of chemists.  Do you have this follow up?  If so we'd love a copy, if we can swop details somehow.

Best regards,
Freda

Offline Fredaml

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 October 08 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I must make a correction to my previous post.  Lucy, d. of John L (aniline black) and Anne Rider, had no children.  Lucy was the d. of John E (1868) and Emma Lill (1871), obviously named after her aunt, who m James Edwin Haworth.  Sorry about that.  Lucy and James were my husband David's aunt and uncle, as I said.

The parents of Sarah Hartley  (b.1804) were, I think called Bernard and Ellen.

Best regards,
Freda