Author Topic: Cumberland to Lancashire via Potugal and Brazil - Carruthers & Co.  (Read 11355 times)

Offline Brazuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cumberland to Lancashire via Potugal and Brazil - Carruthers & Co.
« Reply #27 on: Friday 11 April 14 23:30 BST (UK) »
Was the artist Richard the younger then ?

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 12 April 14 09:48 BST (UK) »
What a fascinating thread, have you looked at Directory of Manchester & Salford, 1853, hopefully not to late! Previoulsy Historicaldirectories

http://leicester.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/p16445coll4/id/218268/rec/26

According to the profile of Richard CARRUTHERS against Wordsworth's paiting, b 1792 Kirllinton

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 13 April 14 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

My email didn't come about these two posts.

Yes, we started with Richard's prowess as an artist from various art sources on the area.  the main interest was more details on local artists.  I expected it to lead to more artistic finds, but we ended up going half way round the world - osms and r he did!

Yes, the main well known picture is the Wordsworth portrait which figures in many books.  Apparently he visited Wordsworth over here.

He was associated with Carlisle Academy and exhibited at the Royal Academy but the evidence we have is as a merchant.

We have loads of family baptism and marriage entries and between us have quite detailed family information.

The main holes are in the foreign research.  Most information has come form comments in books on Maua and also literary figures over here and their letters.

I think that's why he doesn't seem such a character in business.  I think he actually was, but the records aren't there.

Yes, he was much younger than his older brothers - twenty years? from memory.  They appear to have had a large hand in bringing him up.  William, and older brother was in Portugal as a wine merchant and Richard went there first.   William died there, also Isaac, though I think he may have been a cousin or uncle.  We've not found births and marriages in Portugal or Brazil though we have burial records for William and Isaac.

Thank you for the reference.
I have looked before with no results but I can't get it to let me view the reference at the moment.

Best wishes

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline Brazuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 13 April 14 12:16 BST (UK) »
We did a quick trip up to Crosby-on-Eden yesterday and saw (bits of) Eden Grove from a drive past.  Also got access to church there, which has just one plaque inside: and yes, it's to Richard Carruthers !  Didn't stick around long enough to go thru the cemetery to find his grave.
Thanks for all your info - I did know that portrait of Wordsworth.
I have a good collection of fine art prints in books on Brazil (in store) which I will eventually go through with the mission of finding anything by RC.
Good luck with the research- it's an interesting project.
cheers John K

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 13 April 14 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi John

Wow, you've been already!  Yes, I thought I remembered I plaque but couldn't remember the details without checking.

We have  quote from the memorial though and I think  a photo, so you can have those to put you on when I find them.

Yes. I'd love anything on paintings when you get chance.

I'll get together what I've got but I'm between packing and unpacking family struff and between moves and visits so it's a bit hitty missy!

You love in a lovely place at Arnside.  I went through last week in the pollution and I never thought I'd see it looking so murky and airless.

Take care.  Glad you found "him"

Emms

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 13 April 14 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry, I should say, we do have two addresses for the firm in the 19C, Springfield Gardens including33 and from memory, possible King Street - 84?  might not be exactly right.

When I had it in front of me I did some searches and decided that the Springfield Gardens address had gone but the King Street one was a boutique.  Not sure though due to street numbering changes and this is only from memory.

Main thing is I've never found records of what they got up to.  I know Richard was a partner for various places such as the gas company in Brazil and elsewhere but no details here or family details in Manchester.

Best wishes

Emms