Author Topic: William Johnston and Jessie Ann Sim  (Read 3155 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
William Johnston and Jessie Ann Sim
« on: Sunday 30 November 14 11:12 GMT (UK) »
William Johnston was born in Falkirk in 1853, and Jessie Ann Sim in Sligo the same year. They were married in Glasgow in 1880, and had three of a family: Eric Archibald, born 1881; Laura Eugenie, born 1884 died 1887; Alexandrina Kathleen, born 1889 died 1920 in New Zealand.

William was a bank manager, but I don't know which bank he was with. In 1881 and 1891 they lived in Hale, in 1901 in Rochdale and in 1911 in Bromborough. I have all the relevant census information.

The last sighting of them is in the announcement in The Times of Alexandrina's marriage in 1918 to Hugh Stewart. At that time they lived at 26 Abercromby Square, Liverpool.

I have looked at FreeBMD; there are too many William Johnstons, and no Jessie Ann Johnston of the right age in either Cheshire or Lancashire. Their son Eric may have died in Newbury in 1959, but as he spent at least part of his career working on the railways in Argentina, this may not be the right Eric A Johnston.

Can anyone suggest how I might find out when and where William and Jessie Ann died?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Johnston and Jessie Ann Sim
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 November 14 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Going by passenger lists William and Jessie Ann went to NZ 25/1/1922 and returned on 31/10/1922.   Their future residence given as Holyshead (as written), Beer, Devon.

On 8/8/1925 Jessie travelled to NZ with John M. Stewart 4 - she returned alone on 18/12/1925 and gave her proposed future address in UK as Marchmount, Dumfries.

Can't see any more travels for her after that but would suggest that William possibly died between 31/10/1922 (return from NZ) and 8/8/1925 when she travelled alone.   This narrows down the timespan for his death but from addresses given seems they were still moving around the UK.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 November 14 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Have you ruled out this one?

Jessie A Johnston

Birth Date about 1852

Date of Registration April/May/June 1940

Age at Death 88

Registration district Blandford Dorset

Volume 5a Page 389

Probate
Johnston Jessie Anne of Coverack Carroll-Avenue, Ferndown, Dorsetshire. Widow died 10th June 1940 at Wimborne Cottage Hospital, Dorsetshire. Probate Lewes 31st July to District Bank Ltd. Effects £4183 6s 6d

Heather

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 November 14 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Probate

JOHNSTON William of Hollyshead Beer, Devonshire died 22nd February 1923 at Colon Panama Confirmation of Frederick Johnston Sealed London 10th August.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 November 14 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Goodness, thank you, that is all quite astonishing.

I suppose they could have gone to NZ to visit their son-in-law Hugh Stewart, and I assume (no, no, don't assume anything in genealogy!) speculate that John M Stewart is their grandson Michael, born two weeks before the death of his mother.

31 October to 22 February seems a long time to take to get from NZ to Panama if it was the same trip. No idea, either, who Frederick Johnston was.

But several avenues to explore. Many thanks.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.