Author Topic: Seeking information about Knossingham and/or the Rawlings family please.  (Read 14199 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking information about Knossingham and/or the Rawlings family please.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 16:09 BST (UK) »

Poor law records or bastardry bonds? How do I access those?

I did manage to find Mary Jane's family on the 1841 Census and one of the problems I am finding with these Rutland people is that they seem to often cross the border to get married etc LOL. I always have my google maps and genuki by my side - though nothing is as good as a local geographic knowledge - which of course I don't have.

Thanks for your information and help,
Jaahda

I can't find any Rutland/Leicester Bastardy bonds online but this explains about them
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LIN/poorbastard.html

Rutland is the smallest county and not only did people move but boundaries/registration districts  too and I do agree with you it is difficult if you don't have local knowledge, but that is where rootschat can be so good, others do and many will help as it is local knowledge that often breaks down those walls....keep chipping away you will break it down ;D
I know Leicester/Rutland it was my home, although not now or I would be off to Wigston for you to find the records ... along with loads that I need, now I am no longer there  ::)
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend