Author Topic: Stopher of Dennington/W. Ham  (Read 7125 times)

Offline Rogier

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Stopher of Dennington/W. Ham
« on: Saturday 23 August 14 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi all
Free census at Ancestry has meant I can look at the lodgers with my family and learn a little about 'social movement'.

On the 1871 Census for 29 Star street W. Ham I see a Geo. Staffel, 22 Dock labourer from Dennington.  Guessing this spelling is wrong I checked with the Suffolk Surname List and noticed Stopher and so to the 1901 Census and there is a Geo. Stopher, now married, working as a "coal porter"? giving his birth place as Dennington. Both entries reveal a birth date of 1849.

Allum: Worlingworth/Horham Sfk/Canning Town
Read: Badingham/Framlingham Sfk
Ke(a)ble Horham/Worlingworth
Poague: any
(H)avis: Sry/ Stepney
Bird: Newington Sry.
Burrows: Badingham/Canning Town
Goldfinch:  East London

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stopher of Dennington/W. Ham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 August 14 08:01 BST (UK) »
Looks like your detective work could be good - George STOPHER bpt 8 April 1849 Dennington, St Mary - son of Robert & Mary (late Aldous).

K

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 August 14 10:48 BST (UK) »
Is this your George?

Marriages Sep 1871   

Cracknell    Kezia        W. Ham    4a   47    

STOPHER    George         W. Ham    4a   47    
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dulverton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 May 16 19:44 BST (UK) »
Suggest that you may wish to visit this site;
http://uk-surnames.com/Suffolk/places.php?place=Brundish

You will find Stopher, Stoffer, Stofer marrying in Brundish, Tannington Dennington, Worlingworth, Saxtead (& Syleham) in the 18th & 19th century. All villages situated within a walk across a few fields short enough for any swain to plight his troth!

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 22:14 BST (UK) »
I have seen Stopher graves in the churchyard at the chapel at Walpole - http://walpoleoldchapel.co.uk/ and you may like to know that the Suffolk Surname List can be found at https://www.facebook.com/groups/suffolksurnamelist/

SM ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Rogier

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 June 16 00:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks S M

And if we're not registered Facebook?

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 12:25 BST (UK) »
You can still view the page, from what I have been told.

SM ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Rogier

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 12:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks S. M. I'll ask how.

Offline Dulverton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 June 16 20:11 BST (UK) »

Jonathan STOPHER and Martha POLLARD were married on 22 Apr 1803 in St Lawrence, Brundish. Martha POLLARD was born (date unknown).

Jonathan STOPHER and Martha POLLARD had the following child:

+2   i.   Robert STOPHER, born 1804, Brundish; married Mary ALDOUS, 23 May 1831, St Mary, Dennington; died Jun 1861, Dennington.
2.  Robert STOPHER was born in 1804 in Brundish. He died in Jun 1861 at the age of 57 in Dennington. He was buried on 14 Jun 1861 in St Mary Churchyard, Dennington.

Robert STOPHER and Mary ALDOUS were married on 23 May 1831 in St Mary, Dennington. Mary ALDOUS, daughter of Millicent ALDOUS, was born in Oct 1805 in Dennington. She was baptised on 22 Oct 1805 in St Mary, Dennington. She died in Jan 1869 at the age of 63 in Owls Green, Dennington. Mary was buried on 29 Jan 1869 in St Mary Churchyard, Dennington.

Robert STOPHER and Mary ALDOUS had the following children:

3   i.   Caroline STOPHER was born in Apr 1832 in Dennington. She was baptised on 15 Apr 1832 in St Mary, Dennington. On 3 Apr 1881 she was  in Union School, The Ling, Wortham.
   +4   ii.   Alderman STOPHER, born May 1834, Dennington; married Jane NOBLE, 10 Jul 1861, St Lawrence, Brundish; died 15 Mar 1895, Dennington.
   +5   iii.   James STOPHER, born Jul 1836, Dennington; married Esther BRIGGS, Sep 1860; died Mar 1863, Owls Green, Dennington.
   6   iv.   Walter STOPHER was born in Sep 1838 in Dennington. He was baptised on 23 Sep 1838 in St Mary, Dennington. He died in Jul 1849 at the age of 10 in Dennington. Walter was buried on 11 Jul 1849 in St Mary Churchyard, Dennington.
   7   v.   Walter STOPHER was born in Jan 1846 in Dennington. He was baptised on 5 Jan 1846 in St Mary, Dennington.
   +8   vi.   George STOPHER, born Apr 1849, Dennington; married Kezia CRACKNELL, Sep 1871, West Ham Registration District, Essex.

4.  Alderman STOPHER was born in May 1834 in Dennington. He was baptised on 25 May 1834 in St Mary, Dennington. On 3 Apr 1881 he was a Farm labourer in Mill Road, Dennington. Alderman died on 15 Mar 1895 at the age of 60 in Dennington. He was buried on 21 Mar 1895 in St Mary Churchyard, Dennington.

Alderman STOPHER and Jane NOBLE were married on 10 Jul 1861 in St Lawrence, Brundish. Jane NOBLE, daughter of Obed or Obadiah NOBLE and Abi or Abba STANNARD, was born on 28 Nov 1829 in Wilby. She was baptised on 20 Dec 1829 in St Mary, Wilby. She was buried in Jan 1902 in St Mary Churchyard, Dennington. Jane died on 2 Jan 1902 at the age of 72 in Dennington.

Alderman STOPHER and Jane NOBLE had the following children:

9   i.   Herbert STOPHER was born in Apr 1865 in Dennington. He was baptised on 23 Apr 1865 in St Mary, Dennington.
   10   ii.   Walter STOPHER was born in Oct 1866 in Dennington. He was baptised on 7 Oct 1866 in St Mary, Dennington.
   11   iii.   Ellan STOPHER was born in Oct 1868 in Dennington. She was baptised on 12 Oct 1868 in St Mary, Dennington.
   12   iv.   Ann STOPHER was born in Apr 1869 in Dennington. She was baptised on 18 Apr 1869 in St Mary, Dennington.
   13   v.   Charles Chester "Chester" STOPHER was born in May 1871 in Dennington. He was baptised on 7 May 1871 in St Mary, Dennington.
   +14   vi.   Clara STOPHER, born Dec 1872, Dennington; married George BANTHORP, Dec 1903, Hoxne Registration District; died 8 Jul 1938, Blyth Registration District.

5.  James STOPHER was born in Jul 1836 in Dennington. He was baptised on 6 Jul 1836 in St Mary, Dennington. He died in Mar 1863 at the age of 26 in Owls Green, Dennington. James was buried on 7 Mar 1863 in St Mary Churchyard, Dennington.

James STOPHER and Esther BRIGGS were married in Sep 1860. Esther BRIGGS, daughter of Edmund BRIGGS and Hannah CROWFOOT or CRAWFORD, was born in 1835. She died in Aug 1880 at the age of 45 in Bruisyard. She was buried on 29 Aug 1880 in St Mary Churchyard, Dennington.

8.  George STOPHER was born in Apr 1849 in Dennington. He was baptised on 8 Apr 1849 in St Mary, Dennington. On 3 Apr 1881 he was a General labourer.

George STOPHER and Kezia CRACKNELL were married in Sep 1871 in West Ham Registration District, Essex. Kezia CRACKNELL was born in 1851 in Horseheath, Cambridge.

14.  Clara STOPHER was born in Dec 1872 in Dennington. She died on 8 Jul 1938 at the age of 65 in Blyth Registration District.