Author Topic: MARRIAGE CAPETOWN 1880 - 1885 - SURNAMES RICHARDS & PLINT  (Read 3550 times)

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: MARRIAGE CAPETOWN 1880 - 1885 - SURNAMES RICHARDS & PLINT
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hello again Nookie
Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction and following further research of my own, I now have quite a lot of detail about the RICHARDS-PLINT connection both UK, South Africa & Australia.
But I still don't have:
MARRIAGE William Tredwen RICHARDS to PLINT, Elizabeth Jane c1881 - c1884
- or -
BIRTH William Christopher RICHARDS (or subsequent children, believed from brief details in Elizabeth's Will, to be Frederick John and Henry).
I have shipping records for W T RICHARDS on "ROMAN" arriving Cape Town 12 Sep 1881 & Elizabeth PLINT arriving on "WARWICK CASTLE"  4 June 1880.
When you say to "start looking at the Cape Town records on familysearch first before going on to the suburbs" - when I do a SEARCH on familysearch I don't come up with those names at all.
So maybe I am not looking in the right place.....
Presumably their Marriage was between 1881 & 1884 when I have been told their son William Christopher was born.
I have seen DOB for William Christopher RICHARDS as 03 July 1884 but don't know where this date came from...!
Any suggestions...?
Barb
Researching:
BEST, BRAME, KNIGHT, LEWIS, McSHEEHY, O'NEIL, SCHUETZE & WILKE

http://www.kirchneryoungtreeoflife.bndon.com
Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MARRIAGE CAPETOWN 1880 - 1885 - SURNAMES RICHARDS & PLINT
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi
If you look at familysearch - South Africa - Church of the Province of South Africa, then click on search all images, then Cape, you will see that they give images for each of the churches.  Some are just for Cape Town, and the Church name, and others will be for Cape Town, a suburb or two and the Church name.  Unfortunately not all the entries would have marriages for the dates you need.

I would assume that, given that he only arrived late in 1881 they would have had to meet, then go out for a bit before they married.  Given that William was born in 1884 I would be looking for a marriage probably round July 1883 - October 1883 bearing in mind that there was no contraception in those days!  That could narrow the search down a bit.  Obviously if that didn't work then I would go backwards from July.

The other thing you could do would be to look for the baptism of William as the chances would be that he was baptised in the same church as they were married in.  The problem there is that children were often baptised quite some time after their birth!

No-one ever said that this family tree business was easy :)
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods