Author Topic: Electoral roll/census info NSW please - DAVIS  (Read 10607 times)

Offline iwonder_who

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Electoral roll/census info NSW please - DAVIS
« on: Thursday 30 April 09 15:05 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on Charles John DAVIS and Martha DAVIS.  It appears they had a son Albert John DAVIS in Orange in 1886.

Am looking to find them on travels after arrival in Australia in Queensland through to eventually settling in WA.  They had one other son Charles John Steven DAVIS somewhere along the way but am yet to find where.

Appreciate any help. 

Yvonne
Davis, May, McAuliffe, Hanks, Jetson, Merrifield, Curtin, Collins,  Achilles, Fenner, Hourigan, Crocker, Chapple, Mormon, Stephens, George, Richards

Online tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral roll/census info NSW please - DAVIS
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 May 09 04:17 BST (UK) »
What information  do  you  have  for  Charles John Stephen Davis  ie  where  does his name appear etc.

There are no  census records for NSW  available to  the  public  except a couple of early  ones. 

If you  can  tell  us  when  they arrived in Qld  and when  they got to Was  it will all help in  the search

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline iwonder_who

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 May 09 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenn....

Ahhh I searched for ages to find something for NSW online and couldnt.  Funny how some states have some information and others dont.

OK am still searching for information on when they arrived in Australia...   I found a Charles and Martha on the Nowshera which arrived in Sept 1883 in Queensland which may be the same couple.   Again am not 100% sure they arrived there... but assuming they came to Qld first because on Charles John Steven Davis' death certificate it states he was born in Queensland, in Rockhampton.  Yet seach as I may I cannot find any birth there for him.

As far as the family know he only had one sibling Albert John Davis.   I just happened to think to try other states for his birth when I could also not find his birth in Queensland.  I do also remember my father saying when he was alive and when I moved from WA to NSW that some of his family used to lived here in NSW. 

We know his son Charles John Steven Davis married in Western Australia in 1908 to Elizabeth Hough

I have ordered a possible marriage certificate for Charles & Martha from England in Exeter in 1881 which would seem to tie up with the dates of immigration.   

I think that should mean time frame between arriving in Australia and an event we know occurred in WA .....between 1883-1908.   A census look up on WA records may be able to narrow that down.
Davis, May, McAuliffe, Hanks, Jetson, Merrifield, Curtin, Collins,  Achilles, Fenner, Hourigan, Crocker, Chapple, Mormon, Stephens, George, Richards

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 May 09 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi
ALBERT John Stephen Davis says he was born in Orange in c. 1887 when he enlisted in 1915 for ww1.  He was a motor driver.
his father was C. Davis and was  next of kin and was living at Noresman WA.

This file is available to read on the National Archives website

Sue

http://www.naa.gov.au/

Edit:
By Sparrett to correct wrong typing
The man on the NAA script is as now shown..Albert John Stephen Davis.
Sorry for carelessness :o
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iwonder_who

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 May 09 13:31 BST (UK) »
Oh Sue thank you so much!  Each bit of informsation is helpful

Means a whole lot more just after ANZAC day too.... appreciate your help.

Online tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 May 09 21:53 BST (UK) »
Albert's birth is on  the NSW online BDm's, sorry  I  didn't mention it before  just  thought you  had it,

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/search.htm
reg no 32216/1886  DAVIS  ALBERT J  father CHARLES mother  MARTHA  at ORANGE

if you order  this  certificate it SHOULD  say  where and when  parents were married and any other issue.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,300394.0.html
You can use a transciption agent who are a lot quicker and around $10 cheaper :D
Jenn 
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline iwonder_who

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 May 09 01:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that....

I already have the details for Albert ....  and already ordered that certificate,   it's his brother I am looking for!  Charles John Steven DAVIS  I cannot find his birth anywhere,   it says on his death certificate he was born in Queensland but no record can be found,  thats why I posted here in the hope someone might find details that I cant see.

Offline markwahl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 April 14 11:34 BST (UK) »
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2014 10:54 PM
To: 'Mark Wahlqvist'; 'Robert Newman'
Cc: 'Prof Mark L Wahlqvist'
Subject: Albert John Davis husband of Isabella Whalqvist & your immigrant Davis ancestors , Charles and Martha , who married in England in Exeter in 1881 and arrived in Queensland aboard the Nowshera

Dear Julie Newman
I think I may have found your immigrant Davis ancestors , Charles and Martha , who married in England in Exeter in 1881 and  arrived in Queensland aboard the Nowshera ,which arrived in  Queensland in Sept 1883.   They  had one son Charles John Steven DAVIS  in Rockhampton Queensland and your great grandfather, Albert John Davis,  in Orange in 1886. Eventually , they moved to Western Australia .
See below
Hope this helps
Prof Mark Wahlqvist AO MD FRACP
PS Albert John Davis married Isabella Whalqvist ,eldest daughter of my great uncle Frans Lorens Wahlqvist (1852 Trensum, Sweden-1925 Pyrmont Sydney) (known as Frank Whalqvist) . My grandfather , Axel Hugo Wahlqvist , was his younger brother.

Offline iwonder_who

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 April 14 12:25 BST (UK) »
In reply to the latest comment by markwahl....

Not sure your comments are correct. These may be different people.  My Albert John Stephen Davis married an Albertina Thompson née Albertina Dudenberg in Fremantle Western Australia 1920.  Albert  John Stephen Davis died in Beaconsfield fremantle 22nd October 1940 aged 53.

Please let me know should you discover otherwise