Author Topic: Address search - "The Hutch", Ermington NSW  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Beth42

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Address search - "The Hutch", Ermington NSW
« on: Monday 14 April 14 05:09 BST (UK) »
In 1918 during World War 1 my husband's grandmother wrote to the Officer in Charge Base Records with a change of address - her new address was to be "The Hutch" Ermington. There was no street in the address !!  Does any know the location of this property? Family members think it might have been a poultry and/or strawberry farm fairly close to the Parramatta River. It is all very vague but I just thought someone familiar with the area might know where "The Hutch", Ermington is or was. The letter referred to is online at the National Archives of Australia   Lieutenant Sidney Phillips   digital record                page 36 of 72
I have done some searching in Directories and Electoral Rolls without luck.
Phillips in South Barrow, Somerset, Greenwood in Lambeth
Mitchell in Londonderry, McFarland in Drumneechy
Bale in Barnstaple, Devon and Richmond, Melbourne

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Address search - "The Hutch", Ermington NSW
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 April 14 05:30 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

May I quickly mention that "The Hutch",  Ermington would have been sufficient address in that era for mail and for the locals too.   I have 1903 and 1913 Electoral Rolls, hardcopy, and happy to look up, but the letter is more recent than these  :(

Have you tried the Sands Directories as these are now free to search and the keyword option is fantastic? 

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=682338.0

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 April 14 06:00 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Perhaps you already have these?

NSW ER 1903 CANOBOLAS, polling at Forbes
Sidney PHILLIPS, Forbes, draughtsman
Ida Muriel WEEKS, Battye Street, domestic duties.

(NSW BDM has their 1905 marriage indexed as Forbes District)

NSW ER 1913 CLARENCE, polling at Grafton
Ida Muriel PHILLIPS, Mary Street, domestic duties
Sidney PHILLIPS, Mary St, C.P. Inspector.

Re C.P. Inspector (Sidney was a qualified Survey Draftsman as per his AIF papers)

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/62065518  Clarence and Richard Examiner, Grafton. 28 June 1913
The “C.P” Inspector

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 April 14 06:44 BST (UK) »
On the 1930 electrol roll there is an Ida Muriel Phillips (home duties) and a Sidney Phillips at 146 Gipps Street, Dubbo. Sidney is a draftsman.
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 04:26 BST (UK) »
Ermington is part of the City of Parramatta.
why not email the Council there, attention: City Archivist, and ask if they know.

Alternatively, The Ryde City Archivist may know the answer - this lady used to be the librarian at SAG, Angela P. - and I've found her quite helpful in that area.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 04:29 BST (UK) »
Another source might be the Parramatta FH Group which is part of the Parramatta Historical Society,
(or both arms of the Historical Society as it would be local history) at
www.parramattahistorical.org.au/fhg.html‎

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 05:26 BST (UK) »
 I am not sure when Ermington was absorbed into Parramatta Council, but back in 1918-1919 it was a separate council area.

Sands Suburban 1918 from page 313 

(entries for 1918 closed Oct 1917, entries closed Oct each year for the next year’s publication)

Ermington and Rydalmere (Council)  Area 1762 acres,  population about 1000  with 250 ratepayers.  (So two suburbs in that council district)

The Ermington and Rydalmere Council Chambers were on Victoria Road.  (Town Hall was next door to the Rydalmere Post and Telegraph Office , on Western Side, Cnr Victoria Rd and Wharf Rd)

Pages 313 to  314 of Sands 1918 list all the households, by street (so not alphabetical by surname), and as far as I can see, NOT one entry has a house number, or house name).   
Ermington Streets: 
Atkins Road (Off Victoria St)
Ermington Rd (Kissing Point Road to Ermington Wharf)
Hope St (off Atkins Lane)
Hughes Rd (Parramatta River to Victoria Road)
Kissing Point Road (Ermington Wharf Road to lane, Parramatta boundary)
Spurway St (Kissing Point Road to Parramatta River)
Stephen St (off Kissing Point Road)
Victoria Road (Kissing Pt Rd to Spurway St)
Wharf St (off Ermington road)

Sands Suburban 1919 has Ermington and Rydalmere across pages 318 & 319.  The boundaries are same as 1918’s entry…
" Commencing on the left bank of Parramatta River at its intersection with the eastern boundary of the borough of Parramatta; bounded thence by part of that boundary northerly to centre of Kissing Point road;  thence by a line along centre of that road north-eastly, south-easterly, and again north-easterly to centre of Marsden’s road; thence by a line along the centre of that road, being western boundary of Ryde, south-easterly to left bank of the river; then westerly by the bank of the river to point of commencement" .-  (That's the boundaries for both suburbs, not just Ermington  :) )

http://cdn.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/history/archives/sands/1910-1919/1919-part4.pdf

Cheers,  JM

Offline Beth42

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 06:53 BST (UK) »
To majm, tedscout and Billyblue
Thank you all so very much for your input. I started looking on the new online Sands Directories and found them rather addictive and couldn't stop - I found a couple of extra little snippets of information. I haven't been able to find anything about "The Hutch" Ermington as yet and now I am going to start working my way through the other suggestions. Many thanks to you all - it is much appreciated. Regards from Beth
Phillips in South Barrow, Somerset, Greenwood in Lambeth
Mitchell in Londonderry, McFarland in Drumneechy
Bale in Barnstaple, Devon and Richmond, Melbourne

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 April 14 10:43 BST (UK) »
Good luck Beth, keep us informed please!
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk