Author Topic: WW2 and WAAF's  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Marilyn3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
WW2 and WAAF's
« on: Monday 24 August 09 08:30 BST (UK) »
hello everyone, I have been absent for quite some time but hope to delve back into my family history again. Hope I am posting to the right forum. Info from an aged aunt tells me that my mother served in the WAAF and I am hoping that "inside info" might tell me a little more.
Her name was Alice DODDS maiden name GASCOIGNE.She was born 1923 and married my Dad Robert DODDS (who was in the RN during WW2) on 3rd jan 1942.I have a wedding photo of Dad in uniform and Mam in Civvies.. What I don't know is whether they married before/during or after her service, or whether married women could in fact serve.
I really would appreciate more facts and will be attempting to obtain her service records later.Both my parents are deceased(my mother died when I was only 9 in 1957 so have little memory to call on.)I would be very grateful for any little "bits"that could help me.Thank you.

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 and WAAF's
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 August 09 09:29 BST (UK) »
Afraid the only thing I can contribute is that, yes, married women could join the WAAFs*, and many WAAFs did marry in "civvies".

* though this usually precluded them from overseas duty

K

Offline Marilyn3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 and WAAF's
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 August 09 10:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks kyt - that's one question I can tick off then. it all helps.
I have a photo of my Mam in civvies and also one in uniform but unfortunately can't see her hands in either,although she does look younger in the WAAF photo.