Author Topic: Roberts Family of Fachwen and Llandeiniolen  (Read 25077 times)

Offline welshpride

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roberts Family of Fachwen and Llandeiniolen
« Reply #90 on: Monday 01 July 13 11:41 BST (UK) »
Has there been anyone who has found more than one Ty Eiddaw other than the variant in spellings (Eiddaw, Eiddew, Ieddew, etc.)?

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Monday 01 July 13 13:41 BST (UK) »
There appears to be an entry in the 1841 census for Llanbeblig(HO107  1394  8/46  10),which is concurrent with the one in Llanfaglan(HO 107  1394  12/6  6).I cannot currently find similar parallel addresses in later censuses.I'll see if I can identify two such properties on old maps.

Regards
Roger

Offline welshpride

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Monday 01 July 13 18:35 BST (UK) »
It's just that since there seems to be a number of Ty Newydd's, I just wanted to eliminate any confusion over Ty Eiddew.  If there is only one in the parish, then we know we're dealing with just one abode.

Offline welshpride

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Monday 08 July 13 00:15 BST (UK) »
I've asked my friend to review the various baptism and burial entries for the offspring of Robert Jones with an eye towards understanding the correct spelling and definition of the name of the two abodes the family lived in from about 1750-1770.   As I'd hoped, he has reviewed these spellings and has offered the following:

I read the register entries as Tyddyn Ruffudd and Tyddyn y Dola gwnion

I don't think there is any doubt about the Tyddyn Ruffudd references despite the somewhat idiosyncratic handwriting. Tyddyn Ruffudd translates as "Griffith's smallholding", the Welsh form of Griffith being correctly Gruffudd (u pronounced like English i) and the initial G being lost because of rules of mutation which apply in the language to amend or omit certain letters at the beginning of words in certain circumstances.

Tyddyn y Dola gwnion is, I believe, a name which would now be written Tyddyn y Dolau Gwynion and it translates as "The smallholding of the White Meadows". Very poetic. It seems to be a different place from Tyddyn Ruffudd, unless (not impossibly) it was known by both names.

I feel confident in these interpretations.  Now to try and find out if they still existed in Llanfaglan at the time of the 1841 census?  The only way to do that is find all the entries for the 1841 Llanfaglan census and check every single page for abodes by these names. 

I will be leaving on a two-week holiday at the beginning of this week, so I'm not sure how much I will be able to post, however, if I can monitor responses to this website I certainly will try to keep up.

Offline Jwpines

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 18:16 BST (UK) »
Welshpride, Not trying to muddy the waters, but this thread came up on a search I was doing and there are a lot of what may still be coincidences. My ggggrandfather was also Robert Roberts. He was born 1787, location unknown. In the 1841 census he is in Conwy with his family, wife Elizabeth, children Richard, William, Robert, Grace, Jane, Mary, Elizabeth, Margaret and baby Moses. They immigrated roughly around 1848 and are in the 1850 WI census in Dodgeville with Richard, Elizabeth, Margaret, and Moses. Jane, Grace and Mary are married at this point and I know where they went. I believe he is buried in Cambria, WI  where Grace and her husband farmed for 30 years before going on to Oregon to join her sisters Jane and Mary. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Roberts&GSiman=1&GSsr=121&GScid=2288331&GRid=33097065&  as the dates are right and Elizabeth is buried in the same plot. On his tombstone is inscribed, "BrynGlas" which is why your thread came up in this search.

Jennifer
PS Roger you were right, Gwen is the mother of Winnie, not the sister of Moses.

Offline John Griffith

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Friday 14 August 15 18:00 BST (UK) »
There was a Tyddyn y Dolau Gwynion in Llanfaglan. It then became Tyddyn y Dolau, then Bont Faen. It was derelict since the late 1800s until about 1998, and is now known as Tyddyn Dafydd.