Author Topic: WELLINGTON/WILLINGTON surname  (Read 31150 times)

Offline MichaelCardiff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WELLINGTON/WILLINGTON surname
« Reply #54 on: Monday 19 July 10 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Jack,

Yes thanks, that fits - I was told she was buried in Mylor.

Would William be training as a teacher at 12?  He doesn't seem to be anywhere on the 1861 census, Cornwall or elsewhere, and the only possible person I can see in 1851 is born in St. Austell and in the workhouse.  William and Mary is an unfortunately common combination - I've already found two couples in St. Austell!  Do you have records of his parents' deaths, please?

Best wishes

Michael

Offline Jack Hayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 19 July 10 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hi ...... Michael

William died in 28, John Road, Penzance, Cornwall,.....
1903, (bur) at at St. Buryan Church Cornwall.  aged 80 (card 81)
Mary (Harvey) Wellington died October 28th  1907 Tolver Road, Penzance, Cornwall.
(bur) November 1st 1907 at St. Buryan Church Cornwall. aged 84, (card 81).

A piece of your family history...........

William and Mary spent a part of their life in France after 1855, when after the tin industry failed in Cornwall, one or two of their children were born in France where the French required miners and where many Cornish tin miners sailed to find work.

Best wishes.......... Jack  (Wales, UK)

Researching ........Wellington in Cornwall and overseas

Offline MichaelCardiff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Jack,

Thanks a lot - if William and Mary were abroad then that expalins why I can't find them on the census, and if William was a miner then that makes his son's metamorphosis from teacher to miner less surprising.

One more question - did they have a daughter Caroline?  My father once mentioned being taken to see a very elderly aunt in Penzance who wanted to inspect him to see if he had the family nose, but I don't know which side of the family that would be.

Thanks for all your help.

Best wishes

Michael

Offline Jack Hayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 20 August 10 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi ...... Kris and Phil

Remember Thomas Wellington (b) 1850, Calstockwell today I wemt to the Registry office here in Bridgend, The person who married Sarah Jane Rogers was not our Wellington son of Charles, but a man called Warmington, which we thought was a miss spelling!, they checked and showed me the handwritten certificate, indeed his sister Malinda Henrietta was married in Bridgend, I have ordered the certificate, daughter of Charles Wellington, this will be in the post by Monday, I also was shown the certificate too. This is why we thought both brother and sister married in my district of Bridgend, Glamorgan, Wales.
The senior Registrar believes that there was no marriage involved at this point and they just lived together, the next step would be to purchase the birth certificate of their first son Charles born in the  Pontypridd district, this would give the maiden name of the mother Jane!
Best wishes .....Jack

Offline Jack Hayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi ..... Kris and Phil

The marriage certificate of Malinda, (dau) of Charles Wellington arrived by snail mail this morning.

Melinda Ann was the name she married under.

At Bridgend Register Office on the  03 April 1875, Samuel could write his name but Melinda placed her mark. 

Melinda Ann Wellington
Aged 22, Spinster,  Occ .... Domestic servant, Residing in Llanharry, Glamorgan, Wales.
Father, Charles Wellington, Occ ......... Sinker.

Husband

Samuel White
Aged 25, Bachelor, Occ ... Laborer, Residing in "Little Mayrose", LLanharran, Glamorgan, Wales
Father, James White, Occ ... Laborer

I have researched this family on the 1881 census, Melinda Ann died in 1880, June Quarter, Ref:- 11a 145, leaving a son James, (b) 1876, her husband and child are living in Mill Lane, LLandaff, Cardiff, Occ now is a Coal Miner, birth place, Chefont Fitspaine, Wiltshire, England.

Best Wishes ..... Jack

Offline VictoriaE1987

• RootsChat Extra
  • Edwards, Blondrage/Drage, Baker, Wellington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 02 February 13 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jack,

I'm in Wales too, my grandmother was Edith Wellington, she married William Baker in Newport. I have lots of links to Truro. My Grandmother however, was born in Somerset. So it looks like the Wellingtons were moving closer to Wales!!

I'd love to know who you descend from and see if we can find a link!

Vicky
Interested in

Edwards & Blondrage/Drage in the Kent area.

Baker in Newport, South Wales.

Wellington in Truro and Somerset

Offline Peter Wellington

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 10 August 14 04:04 BST (UK) »
Dear Jack
I have begun investigating the Cornish Wellington's.  I am related to the Abraham Wellington who died in Victoria, and have traced back to Petrus Wellington.  I see your offer to others of information about this family and would appreciate learning of what has been compiled so far. 
Sincerely
Peter Wellington

Offline David Taylor32

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jack,

I'm in Wales too, my grandmother was Edith Wellington, she married William Baker in Newport. I have lots of links to Truro. My Grandmother however, was born in Somerset. So it looks like the Wellingtons were moving closer to Wales!!

I'd love to know who you descend from and see if we can find a link!

Vicky

Hi Vicky, Jacks family are not (our) Wellingtons.. his family was named Furse, or something, they married one of the heirs of Peter Wellington and began to call themselves Wellingtons.  Anyway, We are pretty much a main branch of the Celtic Royal Family that lived at Exeter Devon before the Romans, actually it was at Roborough Devon, called "Vxella" (namesake), which is in Devon (also at (pre)restormel castle Cornwall) and marked on Ptolamy's, 150 b.c., map of Britian.  This town was also called, (Walchentona), (Rueberga), (Walchentona), (Forinsecus), (Rouburge), (Roborough) from: (Exeter Domesday, Geld inquest, 1083. first list, fol.63.),( "" second list, fol.63.),( "" third list, fols.65-71.),(Hundred Roll 1274-75), (Hundred Roll 1275-76), (Modern name of Town), ...repectively. Back then our surname was "Wallia" or "de Dinan" (Dynham)(the castle), At the Norman Conquest, we (re)-entered into England from, De Gray, or, Croy Normandy,.. as, Wilton Grey's... Also the origins of the name Wilton is a long story, but to cut it short. it comes from our Grandfather the Visigoth King Wallia, (as in. corn(wall)ia, wallonia Belgium(thier other cash register (mine)), wallia (wales) Walia Orkney's, just to give you an idea of thier ancient jurastiction) you see Wallia in Goth is Valia and my own family (Wilton, "Trevilia") lived at Trevilia/Trevillis Cornwall and our coat of arms, which was (three towers, tripled towered) is the same arms as our other family members, namely Dynham, (ap)Howell (Hoel), Havilland, Spicer, Castille, Castro (Spainish Ferdinand) to name a few.. also, in Scotland Stewart, (Black) Douglas, Blair, Duncan, Clendenning (dinan), and from France, Lewis (royal capet's) Theriault, (T)hériot including Rankin, Hopkins who are the Acadians (cajuns) of 1640's Canada, that is, mostley Theriault families. Also in Turin Italy, Richard(s) and Turin, Turvin surnames, hence Turin(gton) Devon.. further, (Black) Torrington..get it? all of which are y-dna Genetic matches to me (R1b1). Also, my closest y-dna match is Pollard (Devon) and Pollard from Welltown "Trembraze" just north of Liskeard (Walter son of David Pollard (caption of seisin 1337), and Mcauley (Cooley) of Ireland -so named after the Cooley pennisula, ancestor of Duke of Wellington. Some of my dna matches, such as Clendenning came, in 1066 from, Cleden-Poher, Brittney (an ancient seat of Dinan's) in England after 1066 our name was Wylinton or Wylynton(e) if you would like to look-up ancient records. Also I descend from Henry de Willington, Earl of Cornwall (through Richard Wilton Sr and Jr. of Lanreath, taxed 1525) and I'd be happy to tell you more as there is a lot of disinformation out there since 1485, if you know what I mean. Other stuff for you to look up, -Trojans (which is who we are) coming to Devon, -Zarah-Judah and the Scarlet thread (which is who we are) at Kells (Tara,Dara,Darda) Ireland (book of Kells, book of (kil)=church), -ever hear of St. "Colum Macdinet" (Dinan) ,ever hear of St.Ninian, Whithorn (near castle Douglas) also St Nonna's Holy Well at Pelynt Cornwall where the Wiltons (later Abbessess) had a 5th century hospital and did heal..We are the true Saints. The (Black Irish) King, (zarah-Judah) who married the daughter of Zedekiah was called Eochaidh...see the Welltown Stone, attached, which is located at the old castle Cardynham Cornwall (=new-dinan, or new-castle).. interestingly, the arms of Newcastle (on tyne) are, three towers tripled towed as well.. Aberdeen, Dublin..  (Kin)cardine..
But most importantly, know who your people are.  I love my family, and honor my mother and father and I'm asking you Please, Worship, Our Father who Art in Heaven, on Sat (starting friday evening at dark) the REAL Sabbath-Day, Please do this, and know who your people Are!   ps. Lanteglos (inscribed stone, attached here with Welltown Stone) was the seat of "Walesborough" the heiress Mrs.Henry de Willington. Also note that after the 1485 victory of the tudurs (you know the one's with the big red dragon on their battle banner) masonic organizations began to use the (our Trevilia) arms, of three towers tripled towered. I hope that I have been clear, I'm Willington to answer any questions.