Author Topic: Hayes and Darling Families of Cavan and Fermanagh (and Leitrim)  (Read 1779 times)

Offline prufrockster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hayes and Darling Families of Cavan and Fermanagh (and Leitrim)
« on: Sunday 22 December 13 05:48 GMT (UK) »
I would be interested to hear from anyone who has information on the surnames Hayes and Darling from the Breandrum, Carn, Kildallan areas of Cavan. These locations are south of the road between Ballyconnell and Belturbet. My Hayes family - names Jeremiah and Francis - farmed this land in the late 1700's to mid-1800's. They married into the Darling family, who I believe originally came from Fermanagh - in the area of Kinawley and Lisnaskea.

According to Griffiths and the 1901 Census, there were a few Darling and Hayes families in Cavan and I am wondering if they may all be related, even though some were Catholic, and others, including mine, were Church of Ireland. Dare I say, I believe that some may have changed to being Church of Ireland as it may have been advantageous to do so at the time.

These families may also be present in County Leitrim, as the county border is not far away.

Thanks,

Drew Hayes - Melbourne, Australia.

Offline Katedu

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hayes and Darling Families of Cavan and Fermanagh (and Leitrim)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 January 22 22:09 GMT (UK) »
I can't offer much information, but a Francis Hayes (1792-1867) and family in my tree emigrated from Cavan to Fredericton, New Brunswick in 1836. I would like to know more about their origin.

The family was Catholic.

- Kate Dunlay