Author Topic: Herbert Oscar Dale born Harwich, Essex 1877  (Read 717 times)

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Herbert Oscar Dale born Harwich, Essex 1877
« on: Sunday 29 June 14 14:16 BST (UK) »
Herbert Oscar Dale was the youngest of 8 children born to David Robert and Maria (nee Manning) Dale.He was born 25 January 1877.  His birth was registered at Tendring. David was employed by the Trinity Service as the master of a lightship.
In 1881 aged 4 Herbert (referred to as Oscar) was with his parents in Harwich. In November 1884 Herbert, together with his next older sister Bessie Maria, was registered as a pupil at Oban St School, Poplar, their address was given as 35 Benledi Street.
In 1891 Herbert (again recorded as Oscar) was back with the family in Dovercourt. After that-nothing. ???
His mother died in 1895 and by 1901 his father was living with the oldest sister Lucy and her husband in Lewisham. I've traced the rest of his siblings -his brothers nearly all had a maritime connection-merchant seaman, sailmaker, ship's carpenter and lighthouse-keeper, and one who managed to be variously army pensioner, gardener and greengrocer's assistant to Lucy's husband.
But- there is no sign of Herbert Oscar  :(
I've looked on Ancestry and FreeBMD and can't find any census records or any obvious marriage or death records. He could have joined the navy or the army but I'm not sure where to look. He isn't on the Trinity list of lighthouse keepers and if he was on a lightvessel I would expect him to appear on the census.
Can anyone help please?
Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Herbert Oscar Dale born Harwich, Essex 1877
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 June 14 14:33 BST (UK) »
Could this be him joining the Army on 6th March 1899?

Herbert Oscar Dale

Birth year:1877
Birth parish:St. Nicholas
Place of birth: Harwich, Essex

Service number:885
4Th Bn East Surrey Regt.

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Herbert Oscar Dale born Harwich, Essex 1877
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 June 14 15:01 BST (UK) »
It certainly is him -thank you, sgf, and it explains why i couldn't find him in 1901. I wonder what became of him then?
His older brother Arthur Ashford is described as army pensioner in 1911, but if Oscar was still alive then presumably he was still on active service.
Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham