Author Topic: Fanning's of Cullenogue  (Read 17559 times)

Offline TheRedFox

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fanning's of Cullenogue
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 January 10 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Follow-up to my queries from last year.......

I had the fortune to travel over to Dublin towards the end of last year and spend a well earned day in the NLI reading microfiches....

After trawling through pages and pages of records I believe I did finally found my grandfather on Microfiche 4255 which covers Ballygarret, Ballyoughter and Killanerin parishes:

24 March 1865     Childs Name Patrick John    Father: Patrick Fanning   Mother: Ellen Murphy
                         Godparents/Sponsors: Freddie(?) Murphy/Julia Fanning

Interestingly it appears his marriage to my grandmother Elizabeth (DARCEY) has been written in the records, I guess by the parish priest, so at least now I know when my grandparents were married and my grandmothers maiden name!!
I have still to confirm what happened to his first wife?

My post relates now to a query to his birthplace as his birth certificate I sent for, it has his address as Ballylusk, but the church records have his place of residence as Seaview, which I'm more inclined to agree with as there does seem to be some ties on old gravestones I've seen in Kilninor Cemetery.

To add more confusion to this I also found a Patrick Fanning, place of residence Ballylusk:

18 February 1865     Childs Name Patrick     Father: William Fanning   Mother: Ellen Doyle
                              Godparents/Sponsors: John Darcy/Cath Mullings

Is there a chance the General Register Office could have picked up the wrong Patrick Fanning when responding to my request for the birth certificate. I'm not sure how open they are to reviewing previous requests as it is a good 6 months since I requested the birth certificate.

Any help gratefully received..

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 January 10 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately Patrick is quite a common name. To identify which is the correct 1865 birth record you may have to confirm the parents names through the birth cert of a younger sibling that had the same mother.

Dara.

Offline TheRedFox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 January 10 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Dara,

Thanks for your response - How true you are about 'Patrick', perhaps one of the most common male names, alongside 'Michael' in Ireland.
I did make note of any occurance I came across the name FANNING whilst in the NLI, as it's a long way from to go back, and you never know where it could lead.

I have a record for perhaps a sibling. Same parents in the church records but it had "Parents Unknow" written alongside the record
and Place of Residence was noted as Ahullen. All starts to sound like something out of a detective novel. I wish I could just find some more concrete evidence.

Offline Jytefas

• RootsChat Member
  • James and Winifred Kavanagh Abt 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 January 10 20:49 GMT (UK) »

Headstone Inscriptions taken from Kilnenor Cemetery. Nine FANNING memorials in a row, from 1) right to 9) left, there is a short gap between the first three and the remaining six: so is very likly all are related.

1) Erected by Anne Fanning of Monalee in memory of her beloved husband William Fanning who died 15th Oct 1880 aged 64 years also the above named Anne Fanning who died 18th Oct 1913 aged 89 years. Also their daughter Mary Fanning who died 25th July 1914 aged 43.

2) Erected/by/Elizabeth Fanning of Rathpierce in memory of her beloved husband Patrick Fanning who died 8th May 1889 aged 68 years. Also her daughter Elizabeth died young. The above Elizabeth
Fanning died 20th Oct 1915 aged 79 years.

3) Erected by Pat Fanning of Capetown in memory of his mother Mary Anne Fanning of Rathpierce who died 12th Dec 1870 aged 60 years. Also his father Michael Fanning died 13th  Oct 1884 aged 76 years his sister Johanna died 6th June  1885 aged 28 years his brother James fanning died 8th Dec 1899 aged 60 years his brother John died 15th  Aug 1914 aged 80 yrs. His sister Mary died 14th Jan 1918 aged 68 yrs.

4) Erected by Elizabeth Fanning of Tomcoyle in memory of her beloved husband John Fanning who died 1st May 1866 aged 68 years. Of their two daughters Eliza died 16th March 1850 aged 19 yrs.
Anne died 15th Sept 1852 aged 8 yrs and of their son Michl who died in America. The above erectoress who died 10 April 1868 aged 68 years.

5) Sacred to the memory of  Michael Fanning Sea View who depd this life 12th of April 1837 aged 68 years also his wife Catharine Fanning who depd this life 21 of Jan 1854 aged 79 years. Also his grandson James Fanning who died 28th  April 1867 aged 16 years and also Michael Fanning his son who died 18th  June 1876 aged61 years.

6) Beneath this stone in the hope of a happy resurrection is deposited the mortal remains of the Revd Joseph Fanning of (Ahullin?) who returned to his maker a life…………. and his god on the 20th  day of   January? Anno Domine one thousand eight hundred thirty four aged forty one years.

7) Here lieth the body of John (Fanning) who departed this life the 28 (day of?) June 1798 aged 23 years also the body of Michl Fanning his father departed this life March 15th  1812 aged 64 years also Wm Fanning June . . . . 1827 aged 19 years………………………………and of James Fanning of Gurteen son of the above Michael who depart this life the 12th  March 1861 aged 84 years also his wife Margaret Fanning who died/Sept 1870 aged 84 years John Fanning of Gauteen died 15th  Aug 1890 aged 76 years.

8) This tomb erected by Patt Fanning of Ahullin in memory of his belovd daughter Julia who depd this life February 5th 1836 aged 8 years. Also the above Patt Fanning who depd this life Nov 24th  1814 aged 62 years also his beloved wife Mary Ann Fanning who departed this life April 15th  1866 aged 75 years also his daughter Eliza Fanning who depd this life 12th  Jan 1878. His daughter Catharine Fanning depd this life 17th Feby 1879. His son Michael Fanning depd this life 23rd Feby 1885. His nephew Patrick Fanning who died 1st Mar 1941.

9) This stone was erected by James Byrne C° Wicklow in memory of his beloved wife Mary Byrne alias Fannen depd this life Decr 20th 1796 aged…..remainder of inscription under ground

Kindest
John G.
Kavanagh - (Wexford, Dublin, Manchester, Liverpool and Illinois USA)
Kinsella - Ballyconlore / Kilanerin.
Doyle, Mahon, Nolan

Offline TheRedFox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 31 January 10 20:42 GMT (UK) »
John,

Many thanks for your mail.

I'm assuming you've got a copy of Brian J. Cantwell's published works, compiled in May 1979 detailing the Kilninor Cemetery.

The only reason I say this as I managed to obtain a photocopy from Gorey Public Library whilst visiting back in July 2008.
Not sure if you are familiar with the actual graveyard but I had the opportunity to visit at the time, sadly it is now very overgrown, as like a lot of graveyards. However having been there once before over 20 years ago, I was able to quickly recall roughly where the FANNING's are all buried.

Brian's publication for some reason did not pick up my grandfathers headstone, which for the record is to the left of PATT FANNING tomb. Not sure why my grandfather headstone was not identified at the time of Brian research, perhaps it may have been at the stone masons ?  Several of his children are also buried in the same plot with him along with my Grandmother (Elizabeth)

For the record and perhaps for future research, my Grandfathers headstone reads as follows:

In Fond Memory of

PATRICK J. FANNING
Died 15th March 1940 Aged 75 Yrs

LELIA FANNING
Died 24th April 1941. Aged 19 Yrs

KEVIN FANNING
Died 24th April 1952 Aged 36 Yrs

BRENDAN FANNING
Died 30th Jan. 1955. Aged 38 Yrs

MARY ELLEN FANNING
Died 24th April 1956.

ELIZABETH FANNING
Died 5th Feb. 1964. Aged 77 Yrs

COLEMAN FANNING
Who Died in England
October 1980. Aged 57 Yrs

Late of Cullengue

R   I    P

If anyone else has further info let me know.

Thanks again  :)

Offline Jytefas

• RootsChat Member
  • James and Winifred Kavanagh Abt 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 February 10 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the updates,

Just a note of caution,  It is important to keep in mind that when referring to Brian J. Cantwell's published works, inscriptions bearing dates later than 1860 have not, with certain exceptions, been copied. The exceptions are:

1.  Where inscriptions bearing later dates are on the same memorial then all have been copied.

2.  adjacent memorials bearing the same or related names have been listed irrespective of dates.

Regards
John G.
Kavanagh - (Wexford, Dublin, Manchester, Liverpool and Illinois USA)
Kinsella - Ballyconlore / Kilanerin.
Doyle, Mahon, Nolan

Offline TheRedFox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 01 February 10 21:38 GMT (UK) »
John,

Thanks for the note of caution, I will bear that in mind for any future references.

By the way thanks for the details linking a PAT FANNING of Rathpierce Hill mentioned in "Alice Green Ballyfad 1850" post.
I've yet to make a connection back to my grandfather, who would have been around 22 Yrs old at the time of the evictions.

I noted that Peggy Doyle's book referenced in the Coolgreany Evictions post is no longer available/in publication.
Apart from the copy in Gorey Library are there any other copies available elsewhere?

Regards.

Offline terriosullivan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 February 14 02:31 GMT (UK) »
This is an old post so don't know if you have found this information, but in case not, here are records assembled by genealogist Hilary Murphy in 2001.

Patrick Fanning (b about 1790 in Ahullen, Kilanerin, Wexford) married Maryanne Tremble (1791 - 1866) about 1820. They had 8 children, the youngest of which was Patrick Fanning (b 1835)

Patrick (b 1835) married Ellen Murphy in 1863. They had son Patrick John Fanning (1865 - 1940) in Ahullen.

Patrick John married in 1886 Caroline Grant (b 1848, d/o William Grant and Eliza Keegan of Ballykillageer, Arklow) and they had Mary (1887-1956) and Patrick (1889-1980) before Caroline died I would guess around 1890. Patrick John married around 1915 Eliza (assume Elizabeth) Darcy (~ 1887 - 1964) and they had 7 children listed although there is another record someone in the family had that clearly listed an 8th child. They had Kevin (1915 - 1952), Brendan (1916 -1955), Aidan (b 1918), Fintan (b 1920), Lelia (1922-1941), Colman (1924 - 1980), and Martha (b ~ 1926). The additional child listed in a different account of the funeral of PJ Fanning, is Alice (b 1919).

Terri

Offline TheRedFox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 14 February 14 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Terri,

Thank You so much for getting in contact.
I appreciate it is an old post but any news is good news when individuals like yourself get in touch...  :)

Where exactly can I find the information you are referring to?
Is it within a book/document that is still available or is it out of print?, or is it available on-line?

Caroline Fanning was actually alive well into the 1900's as she can be seen in both the 1901 and 1911 census' living in the Parish of Kilnenor with my grandfather PJ Fanning and children Mary and Patrick. PJ Fanning married my grandmother 'Bessie' DARCY on 10th Feb. 1915

The additional child Alice, is my mother.....

The obituary I have seen a copy of (The Enniscorthy Guardian 23/2/1940) does not list my mother.
If you have seen a different obituary then I would be interested is obtaining a copy. I'm was never sure whether my mother was in attendance at the funeral as I believed she had crossed over to England and was training to be a nurse in London at the time of WWII.

I would be eternally grateful if you can get back to me either on this post or PM as the information you provided about my grandfathers family is very interesting and will hopefully enable me to 'pick up the scent' again as I had come to a grinding halt tracing the family further.

Kind Regards

Tony