Author Topic: Family of William O'Kelly & Ann Germaine, Baltinglass  (Read 29039 times)

Offline Weanie

• RootsChat Extra
  • T.J. Kelly Bega Au 1844 1918
    • View Profile
Re: Family of William O'Kelly & Ann Germaine, Baltinglass
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 13 September 12 21:28 BST (UK) »
This is a photo of T.J. Kelly who founded Bega Cheese, my great grandfather.
1844-1918.

Offline Weanie

• RootsChat Extra
  • T.J. Kelly Bega Au 1844 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 15:38 BST (UK) »
As previously mentioned my line is T.J.Kelly from Bega, but I now reside in the U.S. Does anyone know which brother of T.J.Kelly went to the United States?

Offline josearcadio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 07 March 13 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I found your post on Google while looking for some details on my fathers family.

My great grandfather was Edward P. O' Kelly, and my Grandmother was Muriel, listed on the 1911 census, aged 17, with her Mum and her sister, while I would imagine EP was in London.

I am trying to find out more details about the family and in particular, Muriel's brothers and sisters, as my father passed many years ago, along with all the family history.

Would you know if a photograph exists of EP O'Kelly, which I would love to see and show my children.

Many Thanks

Offline josearcadio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 07 March 13 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I found your post on Google while looking for some details on my fathers family.

My great grandfather was Edward P. O' Kelly, and my Grandmother was Muriel Carmella, listed on the 1911 census, aged 17, with her Mum and her sister and on the 1901 census at No 3.

I am trying to find out more details about the family and in particular, Muriel's brothers and sisters, but also, Uncle's Grandparents and Grand Uncles (Australian connections especially) as my father passed many years ago, along with all the family history.

Would you know if a photograph exists of EP O'Kelly or any of the family, which I would love to see and show my children.

My paternal Grandfather was a 'Kelly' from Carlow, however he became 'O'Kelly' when he married my Grandmother on the insistence that she retain her fathers name and it has continued to the present day.

I have some photos and information I could share on our particular branch.

Many Thanks

Gus

Offline Tissy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 09 March 13 03:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gus,

I'm sorry that I cannot help with any photos of E P O'Kelly. I've had a look on the Web but nothing comes up unfortunately. The only thing that I can think of is to contact the House of Commons to see if they have a portrait of him. The House of Commons Information Office can be contacted via email to hcinfo[ at ]parliament.uk. In Australia it was and is a common practice to have portraits taken of all sitting MP's so hopefully the same would apply in the UK. The only other place I can think of to look for a photo would be the Irish newspapers, The Freeman's Journal did have a lot of articles on him.
I'm in contact with quite a few descendants of the Kelly family from Baltinglass, I'll contact some of them to see if they can help. I do have a few photos of the Australian line of the family that came from Edward Peter's brothers, Thomas Joseph and John. When you have made another post, we will be able to contact each other via a PM and I can send you photos direct.
Good luck with the search,
Tissy

Offline Charlie J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 10 March 13 12:13 GMT (UK) »
There is a picture of EP OKelly in the book "Baltinglass Cronicles" by a Paul Gorry. I probably can't put a copy of the picture on here due to copyright issues but I could email a copy of the picture if you like.
Despite high infant mortality rates and lower life expectancies, not one of your direct ancestors died childless.

Offline josearcadio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tissy,

Thank you so much for your message. A PM about Thomas Joseph and John would be great. We have family in Sydney, who would love to know more about the Australian connections.

Since posting, I have spoken to some great people in Baltinglass. They were all extremely helpful, which was really appreciated as we knew very little about the family. I have also had a chance to speak to one of the O'Kelly's, my Dad's first cousin, which was really incredible as he was able to fill in most of our missing details.

As yet, no photo of E.P., however I spoke to Paul Gorry, author of 'Baltinglass Chronicles' and he tells me there is a photo of 'EP' in his  book. 'Charlie J' on this site (thanks Charlie), posted to confirm the same. So will hopefully track it down soon.

I will also attach some 'Press cuttings' and 'Hansard' that I have collated as soon as I can send a PM and forward copies of some photos at home we think maybe 'EP' with my grandmother, which we can confirm once we look at Paul's book.

Thanks again.

Kind Regards

Gus

Offline josearcadio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlie,
Thanks for your post about Paul's book. He told me about the photo on the phone so I have a copy on order from an on-line site.

I would love to know more about the circumstances surrounding his death, if anyone has more details. As Tissy suggested, I will also enquire from the 'Commons' and see if he is recorded in the gallery.

Thanks again
Gus

Offline Peter Roslyn Dunning

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hello
We found you on Google, but boy what a hassle to finally post.
My husbands Gt. Grandfather was T.J. Kelly from Bega. We have been trying to do some research on this side of the family. His Mother was a Kelly, her Mother was Lavinia Lewis and her Father was Daniel Kelly, who was the son of T.J. Kelly and Sarah Gowing. We went to Ireland last May (2012) & stayed at the Germaine's Hotel, which in past years used to be a store that a Kelly owned. We unfortunately were only there one night, so didn't get to meet any Kelly's, but we did make contact with Joe Germaine, who owned the hotel, and is related through the Germaine side of the family.
Look forward to hearing from other descendants of this line.
Best Wishes
Peter & Ros