Author Topic: William BYRNE - DOB 1845-1848 - County Wicklow  (Read 12107 times)

Offline essenes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William BYRNE - DOB 1845-1848 - County Wicklow
« on: Thursday 20 September 12 05:46 BST (UK) »
Hi folks

I have since discovered that my Great Grandfather was not from County Cork as the family so fondly believed
but was instead from County Wicklow, so now I'm on the hunt for any information
about his birth and family history.  My journey has turned long term beliefs into fallacies, so now armed with correct
documentation and information I am again searching for the truth of our family history and LOVING IT.

The information I have to date is as follows for WILLIAM BYRNE:

1845-1848  Birthplace, County Wicklow

1870-1878  Moved to Christchurch, New Zealand

1878 -         Married Sarah Jane Haughton:

Uncertain of whether Sarah accompanied William to NZ or whether they met in NZ.
                     On her NZ Death Certificate, Sarah Jane's birthplace was cited as County Wicklow.  Uncertain if this was true
                         because her husband was from Ireland??? Or whether she was actually born in County Wicklow and her parents
                         may have moved to Ireland from England???  Family sources were adament that Sarah Jane Haughton was English.

William (aged 30) and Sarah Jane (aged 20) married on 23 April 1878, in Christchurch at the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament in Barbadoes Street, Christchurch.
On the Marriage Certificate, only Sarah Jane provided information about her parents.  William's information was blank.

Father's name:     William HAUGHTON
       Mather's name:    Sarah SMITH

BYRNE Children:

1878:     Mary Margaret
1880:     Joseph Abner
1882:     James McCall
1885:     John Haughton

Sarah Jane and William BYRNE had four children and one adopted daughter.

Any information regarding the above information would be greatly appreciated.

Enclosed is a very cherished photo of William and Sarah Jane BYRNE.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William BYRNE - DOB 1845-1848 - County Wicklow
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 September 12 06:14 BST (UK) »
A William Haughton married a Sarah Smith in Dunganstown Parish Church of Ireland in County Wicklow in 1833. A number of children were born to a William Haughton and wife Sarah in Co Wicklow: William 1835, Susannah 1837, Mary 1839, John 1841, and Sarah Jane 1843.  Sarah Jane was born in Roscath and baptised in Dunganstown Parish. Father William was a farmer.

The following link shows graves at the church - once you're there, hover over the little pictures to see the surname, click to enlarge.  I checked quickly and there are at least three Haughton graves, if they display the same for you, they are 5th row down far right (William, possibly the William of 1835?), 13th row down far right (indecipherable to me, perhaps you can do better - looks very old) and 14th row far left (likewise, indecipherable to my poor eyes!):

http://www.igp-web.com/igparchives/ire/wicklow/photos/tombstones/wicklow-dunganstown/index.html

Offline essenes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 September 12 06:30 BST (UK) »
Hi gaffy

Your a gem, I'm impressed with the speed of your response,  thanks for posting, I'm on the trail right now
will contact you on the outcome of the lead.

Essenes

Offline tomahurra

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 September 12 16:10 BST (UK) »
those anyone have any further information on Sarah Smith

Offline essenes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 September 12 16:51 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry I cannot help, I have only learned of Sarah Smith in the past week, therefore know very little about her.  If I do come across any info, I will certainly pass it on.

Offline tomahurra

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 September 12 19:57 BST (UK) »
thank you - much apperciated

Offline J.M. Flannery

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi, 
I am researching the Haughton family of Roscath/Coolacork, Dunganstown, Co Wicklow.         Who? MARRIAGES  in GLENEALY CHURCH OF Ireland  Co Wicklow                                                                     
1830 Dec 20: John Haughton, Wicklow to Sarah Turnor (sic), Rathnew, by  Licence.   
                    Witnesses:  Richard (?) Turnor and William Haughton.

My Gr-Grandmother was Maryanne (Maria) Haughton (1841-1910) 3rd child of 9 children born to Richard Haughton (born circa 1800) and his wife Anne Leviston /Levingston.

Children: 
Richard1836-1865: William 1839-1906: Maryanne 1941-1910: James 1844: Robert 1847: Thomas ? died bef.  1901: John bc 1837: Eliza born 1852 and Peter 1855-1927.
These names crop up quite a lot in the Haughton family which I have been following.  This family, for me goes back to the Religious Census Parish of Dunganstown, (1766) where James is described as a householder.  My first Richard died circa c1788 Coolacock, Co. Wicklow, this Townland is beside Roscath, which also appears in my relations addresses.

Haughton Headstones in Dunganstown Cemetery:
William Haughton 1700-1727:   
Thomas 1705-1732:                                                                                                             James 1708-1784 his wife Anne 1715-1783, their son Thomas 1746-1769: Peter 1730-1736.     
Were William bc 1700: Thomas bc 1705: James bc 1708: brothers?

Religious Census 1766 = James Haughton & Richard Haughton are recorded as householders

Julia
Doyle, Malone, Ryan, Wicklow.
Murray of Arklow.
(O)Carroll of Annamoe, & Cornagower, Brittas, Wicklow, & Co Carlow.
Waters, Haughton, Leviston, Goggin. Kavanagh Wicklow.
Lavender and Newman of Ballyhad, Rathdrum.

Offline ekr104

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 December 13 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi. My name is Ena Regan & I am from Christchurch, NZ. William & Sarah are my great grand parents. I have started doing a family tree & found out my nana Kathleen Siebien (she used Francis as 2nd name) Byrne was adopted by William & Sarah. Nana was born 7th March 1903 & passed on the 19th March 1981. She was originally married to Edward Joseph Regan who passed when my dad was 12. She remarried to Daniel Nelson, whom I always knew as my granddad. I loved her dearly & was very close to her -I was 16 when she died. On nana's birth certificate it stated William was 55 & Sarah 58. Nana never talked about her younger life so I didn't know much about Sarah & William. My nana & dad often talked about my birth grandfather (Edward Regan) and that his family were from County Cork in Ireland.  I wonder if there are links between the Byrnes being from County Cork. My dad used to talk about his uncle Joe as one of his first jobs was working in a mortuary with his uncle Joe. My dad passed in 1991, so I have fragmented memories from childhood tales -lol. Id love to hear from you. Regards. Ena

Offline Banners

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 January 14 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Dublin, Ireland.

I am a relative of the Haughton family. 

Sarah Jane Byrne's parents were William Haughton (and Sarah Smith).  Willima Haughton was one of ten children born to Robert (1759-1823) and Anne Haughton (nee Anne Cunningham / Chamsey), who lived in Oatland House, in Coolacork, Wicklow.  You can look this house up under "Record of Protected Structures Wicklow County Council."

I am a descendant of William Haughton's brother, Thomas Richard Haughton.

Most of my information was found on: http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/norah_haughton.htm
Norah Haughton was my Nana's brother's daughter.

I am extremely interested in gathering as much family history as possible!