Author Topic: James Steele of Bewcastle, son of Sybil Steel  (Read 1677 times)

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Steele of Bewcastle, son of Sybil Steel
« on: Saturday 12 July 14 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hello

An ancestor of mine, James Steele was baptized in 1813 Bewcastle to Cumberland to Sybil Steel, father unknown.

I would like to know when and where he got married, so I can trace him on the census and locate a death and family

my thanks

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: James Steele of Bewcastle, son of Sybil Steel
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 July 14 23:29 BST (UK) »
I would like to know when and where he got married, so I can trace him on the census and locate a death and family

Without knowing his wife's name it's impossible to find a marriage as he may have married outside Cumberland.

It's better to find the census entry to get his wife's name and then trace a marriage. 

If he was illegitimate - where does he fit in your FH?  Are you descended from one of his children?

If not - how do you know he survived infancy?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Steele of Bewcastle, son of Sybil Steel
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 July 14 23:56 BST (UK) »
I am related by blood, though not direct descendency. James was the great grandson of Richard Steel, born 1746 in Stapleton Cumberland. Richard Steel is the son of John Steel. John Steel was my direct 10x great grandfather

He was illegitimate because a father isn't mentioned, there isn't a marriage anywhere for Sybil and she died still bearing her maiden name in 1839, she never married

I do not know if he survived infancy or not, but I cannot find an early death for him in Bewcastle, which is where Sybil lived her entire life