Author Topic: Matthew Cullen  (Read 20421 times)

Offline ailbhe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Cullen
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 01 September 11 16:52 BST (UK) »
Two births for Mathew Cullen Wicklow yet the chirstenings were in Rathvilley, which is Carlow these are from the IFH. Keep them on record they might be useful.

Mathew Cullen, 1813 Baraderry parents Daniel Cullen wife Mary.

Mathew Cullen Dec., 1819 parents Daniel Cullen wife Mary. it was not unusual if a child died to give another child the same name. The theory was if God took one he would not take the second.

Offline jro001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 01 September 11 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hmmmm...very interesting.  My Catherine (Cullen) and Matthew O'Brien had the following children:  Eleanor (Ellen), James, John, Daniel, Margaret, and Mary.

Of course, I realize that these are very common names,  but nevertheless, Daniel and Mary are parents of Matthew with a possible brother named James.  We are just missing Eleanor, John, and Margaret at this point.

By the way, is there anyone on your Cullen side that has or had asthma?  My Catherine Cullen died at age 49 of asthma.

Jackie
Matthew O'Brien (County Carlow or Wicklow) and Catherine Cullen (Ballinguile Wicklow)

Offline ailbhe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 01 September 11 17:26 BST (UK) »
Jackie I don't  have direct Cullen ancestry. My connection to Ballinguile are Byrne and Doyle. I think you and I originally made contact re Ballinguile. I'm just trying to help with your Cullens.

Offline jro001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 01 September 11 17:30 BST (UK) »
Do you know if any of your Doyles went to U.S.?
Matthew O'Brien (County Carlow or Wicklow) and Catherine Cullen (Ballinguile Wicklow)

Offline mschramm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 02 September 11 04:41 BST (UK) »
Jackie - This is so great chatting with you.  For some reason I have always failed to locate Matthew in the 1850 Census, which is why some of your news was really news to me (Mary's parents, being in CT for a bit, and Matthew and Mary's daughter Ellen are all news to me ... Ellen must have died young, as she is not in the 1860 census for the family).  What county is the 1850 census record in (and page, etc)?

The starting point of my research had been a letter written by Michael Cullen in which he said " ... I knew my father [Matthew]'s brother Ed Cullen of New Orleans, LA.  Father had another brother James Cullen who went out west."  I always imagined "out west" meant something exciting and exotic.  Turns out James ended up a Jackson, Brown Co., Indiana.  I guess that seemed like a dramatic move out west back then ...  You can also find James in the 1860 Census in Noble Co., Ohio with wife Rozannah and their many, many children (they didn't stop at just four).

Also in family lore, Michael took an extended trip (months or years) to Ireland in the 1890's to visit family still in Wicklow Co.  So apparently there were still some Cullen's there at that time who possibly had stayed in touch with Matthew's immediate family.

This is great!  Keep in touch!  - Michael
Cullen, Doyle, Myers, Schramm, Pfaff, Best, Sprankel, Steuber, Berg, Jackson, Kidd

Offline ailbhe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 02 September 11 10:54 BST (UK) »
Jackie, Several Doyles were on the Fitzwilliam Clearance. As I said before forty families left Ballinguile on one day in 1847.

When you asked about my Cullen connection I said I don't have any, I meant in the 1800's. I do have first cousins who are Cullens.  Lots of them, and several sets of twins. My mother's sister Elizabeth married a Charles Cullen also from Wicklow. Charlie was from Ballynocken. West Wicklow.  They were married in 1940. I have sent an email to a cousin who has done Cullen research in Wicklow to see if he has anything.  Maura

Offline jro001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 04 October 13 16:44 BST (UK) »
Michael,

I found additional information on your side of the Cullen family in my research for my Catherine Cullen. 

Matthew's eldest son, John, was born in Ireland 27 March 1847 according to his death certificate.  However, a search of the Irish church registers found that he was baptized in the parish of Dunlavin, County Wicklow, on 7 March 1847.  This is the same place Matthew Cullen and Mary Doyle were married on 4 February 1845, so it is likely he was born there as well.  The witnesses to the marriage were Edward Doyle and Mary Cullen, likely relatives.  Dunlavin lays on the northern part of  County Wicklow, bording county Kildare, about 10 miles north from Ballinguile where my gg grandmother, Catherin Cullen was born.

Jackie