Author Topic: John Parker of Wicklow Town  (Read 13150 times)

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Parker of Wicklow Town
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 April 12 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan.

I have had that Chapman information sitting in my notes since we last researched. I should of had it sent on to you before now.I will have to find out more on the marriage of Benjamin Joseph Chapman to Sarah Smith in so much that I think my Scratna Smiths are connected to the Dunbur Smiths. If I find anything new I will post over the weekend.

John.
Webster , Parker and Smith in Wicklow. Power , Lewis and Livingstone in Carlow and Wexford. Forde in Monaghan . Orr in Cavan.

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 April 12 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan.

The following information is from what was know as The Marriage Notice Book. Judging from the date of the first entry for Wicklow Parish Church (The 5th of May 1845) the keeping of this book must have come about at the start of Civil Registration for non Catholic Marriages. A notice of marriage was to be given within three months of the intended date of marriage. Where I have found these books helpful when I have been lucky enough to find them still at a Church is that they give the lenght of time a person has resided at their dwelling place. While the book gives a notice to marry which may not have eventually come about , it is another source worth looking for where a Marriage Register may no longer exist for whatever reason.

The following informatin is from a Marriage Notice Book held at the RCB dated 1845 to 1870. The continuing years are still held at the Church which I will see if I am able to get back to and have a look for you.

Marriage Notices Wicklow Parish Church.
22nd July 1847

John Chapman/Widower/Farmer/Full age/ From Three mile water in the Parish of Dunganstown/Living there 5 years.

To

Ann Hill/Spinster/Full Age/ From Ballyrogan in the Parish of Redcross/Living there 10 years.

Marriage to take place at Dunganstown Church.

27th of January 1848.

Robert Kearon/Bachelor/Mariner/Full age/From  Arklow in the Parish of Arklow/Living there since birth.

To

Catherine Parker/Spinster/Full age/ From Ballyfriffin in the Parish of Arklow/ Living there 20 years.

Marriage to take place at Arklow Church

19th of October 1848

Henry Chapman/Bachelor/Farmer/Full Age/From Dunbur in the Parish of Wicklow/Living there 20 years.

To

Sarah Chapman/Spinster/Full Age/From Callary in the Parish of Delgany/Living there since her birth.

Marriage to take place at Wicklow Church.
                                         _______________________________________

The 9th of October 1851.

Henry Chapman/Bachelor/Farmer/Full Age/From Calary in the Parish of Calary/Living there 21 years.

To

Anne Sharpe/Spinster/Full age/From Cornagower in the Parish of Dunganstown/Living there since her birth.

Marriage to take place at Dunganstown Church.
                                            _______________________________________

The 25th of March 1852.

Abraham Chapman/Bachelor/Revenue Officer/Full age/From Wicklow in the Parish of Wicklow/Living there since birth.

To

Elizabeth Davis/Spinster/Full age/from Wicklow in the Parish of Wicklow/Living there 7 years.

____________________________________________

The 11th of December 1862

Edward Smith/Bachelor/Farmer/Full Age/From Dunbur Wicklow/Living there all his life.

To 

Martha Chapman/Spinster/Age 20/From Dunbur Wicklow/Living there a lifetime.

____________________________________________

The 13th of July 1865.

Benjamin Joseph Chapman/Bachelor/Labourer/Full Age/From Dunbur in the Parish of Wicklow/Living there 2 years.

To

Sarah Smith/Spinster/Full Age/ From Dunbur in the Parish of Wicklow/Living there a lifetime.

________________________________________

I had thought I would have found possibly more Chapmans. The Parker I found is one of mine but it was the only Parker in the book.

John.

Webster , Parker and Smith in Wicklow. Power , Lewis and Livingstone in Carlow and Wexford. Forde in Monaghan . Orr in Cavan.

Offline Newey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 April 12 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Thanks very much for all that info.  I'll spend some time sorting through as a few must be related to the elusive Catherine.

Jan.
Newbold, Parker, Chapman  - Wicklow
Blanch - London & Gloucester
Carpenter - Wiltshire
Barker, Lazenby - West Riding Yorks

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 April 12 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan.

I managed to go through the rest of the Marriage Notice Books . The last entry is 1925. There was only one Chapman entry to be found and no Parkers.

Dated 24th January 1896.

George Henry Chapman/ Bachelor/ Coachman/ The Rectory Killiskey, Co Wicklow/ Living there 18 months

To

Elizabeth Whitton/ Spinster/ Full Age/ Windgates , Delgany Co Wicklow/ Living there a lifetime.

Marriage to take place at Killiskey Church.

I thought there would have been more but I will keep an eye out for your family names as I go along.

John

Offline tomahurra

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 September 12 13:05 BST (UK) »
Very interested in Edward Smith and Martha Chapman and their families. As they are my Great Great Grandparents

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 September 12 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Are you able to connect your Edward Smith of Dunbur with a George Smith of Scratna Arkow.

John.

Offline tomahurra

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 September 12 19:17 BST (UK) »
Sorry all I know is that Edward Father John and his Mother Marianne. Edward son John lived at Seven Churches /Camderry and is buried in Rathdrum and he had 10 children

Offline JasonChapman1971

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 October 13 03:39 BST (UK) »
Hello :)

I believe I am a distant relative of the Chapmans and Tyndalls of Wicklow, Ireland.  If you are a member of Ancestry.com please send me a message and I will be glad to give you access to my tree.  I'm fairly certain a Henry and Sarah Chapman emigrated to the U.S. (Minnesota) in approximately 1867.  Sarah died within 2 years from cancer.  I'm trying to clarify my connections to the Chapmans prior to 1867 in Wicklow, Ireland.  I'm a descendant of their son Benjamin Chapman who married (I believe) his 1st cousin, Ann Louisa Tyndall.  It appears Sarah Chapman's maiden name may also have been Chapman.  I want to be very careful I'm not jumping onto the wrong branch of a different family.  If anyone has any corroborating data such as birth/death records, tax records, obituaries, etc. ...that would be wonderful.  I have scanned many such documents into various Chapmans in my Ancestry.com tree.  Thank you, Jason Chapman
Chapman, Wicklow Ireland

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 18 October 13 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Jason  -  We are connected, but only very distantly by marriage.

My gg grandfather was Benjamin Henry Chapman, born 24 October 1820 in Ballyloughlin, Wicklow, son of Joseph Charles Chapman and Sarah Hudson.  He immigrated to Canada in about 1843/44 with his wife Mary Esther Pepper [born 29 June 1819 in Avoca, Wicklow].  They moved on to Wisconsin in about 1848.  They had nine children of which the fourth, Charlotte Elizabeth Chapman, was my g grandmother.  Their third child was Henry Charles [or Charles Henry] Chapman who was born on 13 April 1848 in Dodge County, Wisconsin.

Henry Charles Chapman [who was my gg uncle] married Charlotte Elizabeth Johnston.  She was born in Ireland in 1861 and was the daughter of John Johnston and Ann Chapman.  John Johnston was the son of Sarah Hudson and her second husband Charles? Johnston.  Thus, Henry Charles Chapman and Charlotte Elizabeth Johnston were half cousins.  Ann Chapman was born in Ireland in 1825 and was the daughter of Benjamin R. Chapman.

In 1873, after being widowed, Ann [Chapman] Johnston had immigrated to the United States with her nine children.  They settled in Minnesota where they already had other relatives who had immigrated earlier.  Among these was her brother, Henry Chapman, whose son, Benjamin Chapman, married Ann Louisa Tyndall.

There was a great deal of cousin marriage among these Chapmans, Johnstons and Tyndalls and, since they all used the same first names over and over again, it is often confusing to work out the relationships.  My main question is:  how was my gg grandfather, Benjamin Henry Chapman, related to Ann Chapman and her father.  They were all from Wicklow and they must have been somehow related.  So far, I have not been able to put that picture together.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis