Author Topic: Elizabeth Patterson, b. abt 1823 of Kilranelagh, Wicklow  (Read 4539 times)

Offline CarrollC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Patterson, b. abt 1823 of Kilranelagh, Wicklow
« on: Sunday 19 January 14 21:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for a baptism record of Eliza (Elizabeth) Patterson.  She is born about 1823.  Her marriage record in 1845 is age 23 (=1822),  my next confirmed record on her is the 1860 US Census age 36 (=1824).  Her marriage record to William Nesbitt in Kiltagan 10 Nov 1845 in Kiltegan lists her residence as Kilranelagh so this is a starting place.  Parents are simply "unknown" for both.  She is Eliza on her marriage record but her Civil War Pension File names her as Elizabeth but signed as Eliza.  Can anyone give me a clue where to look for her?

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Patterson, b. abt 1823 of Kilranelagh, Wicklow
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 16:52 GMT (UK) »
http://www.wicklow.ie/familyhistorycentre/records.html

I'm afraid that the church records for your search area don't appear to go back that far - even if they did you would need to know her parent's names.

Patterson is not a Wicklow surname - so it MAY be possible that Kilranelagh was just where she was living at the time as opposed to actually being born there.

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Nesbitt isn't a Wicklow surname either !

What did William work at when they went to America ?

What did they name their children - this can sometimes give a lead ?!

Tara

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 23:52 GMT (UK) »
This marriage is also on RootsIreland it's the Church of Ireland in Kiltegan, it's pay to view and may not have anymore information than FamilySearch. They are probably from the same source. They don't appear to have her baptism. There is two baptisms in the time period a John Robert in 1819 and a Cecilia in 1825 in both cases the surname is spelt Paterson. Neither in Kiltegan
Only see one Nesbitt baptism in Wicklow but that is in 1807.

Offline CarrollC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 February 14 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your clues and insight.  I suspected that since no parents were listed on the marriage record that either the priest was not being detailed or that neither of them actually knew parents and that their residence at this time is not their origin.
William was described on the Civil War Pension file as a Mason.
I can't find a confirmed immigration record and only a possible barely readable 1850 US Census listing in New York.  The Pension File indicates they immigrated about 3 years after the marriage.  They settle in Pennsylvania.  There is no record of any children before they settle in Pennsylvania.  First known child is born in 1851.  Did they really not have any children for 6 years.  Umm...  Children names are John, Elizabeth, Isabella, James Oliver and the last George McClellan named after the Civil War general under whom William served.  The children were christened in an Episcopalian Church.  There are numerous Nesbitts within the Pennsylvania area so I have to wonder if they have relations there or merely coincidence as nationalities tended to group together.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 February 14 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Just a side-thought that you might be able to close off quickly.

Have you seen the original source document for the Nesbitt / Patterson marriage or do you have any alternative source to corroborate the Patterson surname?

I know that sounds a strange question, but in my own family tree I've found some amazing examples of surname variants and some absolute howlers of mistranscription.

For example, the surname "Pearson" has a presence in the area (eg. per the tithe applotment records, link below):

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/home.jsp

Just checking.  :)

Offline sarabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 February 14 23:26 GMT (UK) »
A death record in Pennsylvania may list the parents…That may help you in your search.
Sara C.

Offline CarrollC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 February 14 04:39 GMT (UK) »
More ideas.  I have a copy of the original marriage record from film.  Clearly Patt..son  The middle letters have room for some interpretation but Patterson is the most logical choice.  The name appears twice on the record.  The Ts are written the same for Nesbitt.
My death info comes from records of those who died leaving an estate, filed by her son, James.  I'm still trying to find a copy of the Will.  Pennsylvania vital records are very limited in Pennsylvania due to fires and parents aren't commonly listed on US records at this time in 1882 if a certificate were located.