Author Topic: Cowie  (Read 23981 times)

Offline tuppenze

• RootsChat Extra
  • my mum, nan & aunt
    • View Profile
Re: Cowie
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 21:27 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this information is of interest as the post was a while ago, but I have an Alexander Cowie born 25/07/1809 in Rathven died 3/10/1869 aged 60 in Seatown, Buckie.  He married Margaret Jappy/Jappie on 10/10/1857 in Buckie.

I was wondering if it was the Alexander Cowie that you were looking for?

If this is not yours apologies :)

Regards

Penny
jackson, reaich, cowie, jappie, morgan, geddes,cox, murray, thomson, whiteley

Offline jc140354

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 06:12 BST (UK) »
i had no idea how common the surname COWIE was ... i am trying to trace relatives in Australia but can only get back as far as David Cowie and his wife Annie Cowie (nee Townsend). David was born in 1855 and died in 1925 .... i am related through his son Archiblad Meldrum.........
I believe Davids father was John Cowie and Mother jane (?) who were both born circa 1830 (i am guessing in Scotland)....
I cannot find any evidence of david birth in australia.
Oh well... maybe one day ....

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 15:16 BST (UK) »
Haha, good luck with this. I live in Buckie and there are loads of Cowie's here. In the past there were even more. Allegedly there were 35 George Cowie's in the same street in one census. You do know about tee-names though don't you? Some families still use them as well. That's why a lad who went to school with me was called "Carrots". He was a Cowie and "Carrots" was the family tee-name stretching way back!
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Morayshire - MAVER, RAMSAY, PHINN, SIMPSON
Aberdeenshire - MCINTOSH, GILLAN
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Ross-shire - MCANGUS, MCKENZIE, TARRELL,
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID
Louth - KIERAN, KANE, ENGLISHBY, FEGAN

Offline jc140354

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hi GDUB.. thanks for your reply..... sounds as though the COWIE clan were breeding like rabbits for a while over in Scotland.... not quite as bad over here in Kangaroo land.  Could you help out and explain for me what T-Names are ... it might help my investigations.

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 09:25 BST (UK) »
A tee-name is an alternative name used by a family (principally in fishing villages) to distinguish them from others with the same names. Given that in the old days, the only Male Forenames used in most instances would have been: John, William, James, George, Alexander etc. because many of the fishing villages were fairly insular, inevitably there was a concentration of particular Surnames as well, so there would be loads of George Cowie's in Buckie for instance. To distinguish themselves from each other, they would use their tee-name, so you would have for example:

• George Cowie "Carrots"
  • George Cowie "Bullins"
  • George Cowie "Coup"

Where did their tee-names come from? Any particular individual chasteristic or preference, sometimes from the name of a boat, anything really. The thing is though, if you can tie a tee-name to the family you are researching, it will make things a great deal easier!
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Morayshire - MAVER, RAMSAY, PHINN, SIMPSON
Aberdeenshire - MCINTOSH, GILLAN
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Ross-shire - MCANGUS, MCKENZIE, TARRELL,
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID
Louth - KIERAN, KANE, ENGLISHBY, FEGAN

Offline jc140354

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 10:23 BST (UK) »
thanks a lot for that .. unfortunately dont have any Tee-names - i am lucky enough to get their first names and as you mentioned sometimes that is not much help either.... i was told we are related from the CAMPBELL COWIES although not verified, so i might try and look at it from that angle but i would imagine there are even more CAMPBELL's than COWIE's in Scotland and thats assuming it was Scotland where the CAMPBELL / COWIE connection came from ....
I think i have basically run into a dead end ... but i dont give up easily .. someone there is a John Cowie who had a son called David Cowie (from Aberdeen) who came to Australia . I also know David had a brother called (u guessed it) JOHN !!!
It's exciting tracing the family but oh brother, how frustrating ....
Thanks again.

Offline buckie33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 03:26 BST (UK) »
I have a Margaret Cowie marrying a John Anderson. This would have been late 1800s/early 1900s, they had a son Samuel Anderson born in 1916.
Elgin - Ralphs,Lobbans
Buckie - Andersons,McLeods

Offline buntymac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 July 12 12:10 BST (UK) »
I have been searching for Cowies too.
 Alexander (Dougal) Cowie.
The Dougal part is in brackets on his birth certificate.

Some of the Tee Names I have come across attached to Cowie are

Cowie -Spiral, Dosie, Bill, Duncan, Pum, Rosie, Steiner, John, Jamie, Doddle, Dod, Diddle, Coup, Dougal, Guille, Upple,Bussie, Rich.

I would love to hear from anyone else with Dougal attached to Cowie
surname
Anne

Offline potato1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 21 February 13 15:20 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching for Cowies too.
 Alexander (Dougal) Cowie.
The Dougal part is in brackets on his birth certificate.

Some of the Tee Names I have come across attached to Cowie are

Cowie -Spiral, Dosie, Bill, Duncan, Pum, Rosie, Steiner, John, Jamie, Doddle, Dod, Diddle, Coup, Dougal, Guille, Upple,Bussie, Rich.

I would love to hear from anyone else with Dougal attached to Cowie
surname
Anne

I have Dougal Cowie's in my family, is your Alexander b. 1830 d. 1902, son of James Dougal-Cowie and Janet Diddle-Cowie?