Author Topic: Parish or Town in Galway  (Read 16178 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish or Town in Galway
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 07 December 13 13:33 GMT (UK) »
A v is as possible as n on the second image.
Just had a look at the Tithe Applotment books and there are Whytes in Kilkerrin which on the original image looks like it could be Kilkerriv to me, but I could well be way off.
Don't have time to study it in more detail just now.
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?surname=Whyte&firstname=&county=Galway&townland=&parish=&search=Search&sort=&pageSize=&pager.offset=10

Offline ammeneedia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 07 December 13 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi
You must remember that at that time there was little formal education in Ireland. The address on the form most likely written by the recruiting officer using his own interpretation of what he was told. The most likely location is "Kilcrow". There is a Whyte family recorded residing there in both the 1901 and 1911 census.
Naughton - Claregalway, Burke/Corlis/Corless/Kemple - Tuam, Fahy/King/Grealish/Jennings/Walsh - Castlegar
Burke/Cunningham/Monaghan - Annaghdown
General: Lackagh/Turloughmore/Castlegar/Claregalway/Annaghown

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 07 December 13 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ammeneedia. Yes, I realise the spelling was what the officer heard & wrote down his own way of spelling it.  If I could get figure out these spellings I might get close to what might have been said when he gave his place of birth then I'd know where to look.  Do you think either of them looks like Kilcrow or something that might sound like it?

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 07 December 13 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Found the first page of that townland in the Applotment book and it's clearly Kilkerrin Tuam Galway. That would fit with Kilcerrin, if that's what's on the image! Maybe not as it looks like Kilcurrin.

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 07 December 13 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Sinann, just been looking at the Tithe Applotment books and I'm now wondering if he gave the PARISH, Kilkerrin (Kilcerin) as his POB rather than the townland  :-\ Had a good look around the site using the spellings, Whyte & White & that looks the best possibility.  Also the time-frame is good as Patrick was born December 1822 so I would expect some family members to still be there.  Only one glitch & that's I can't see an 'i' in the last part of the place name.  I see the last two letters as 'r & n'  ::)

Jane

Offline ammeneedia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 07 December 13 16:02 GMT (UK) »
I would read it as "Kilcurru" so "Kilcrow" "Kylecrow" with an adjoining townland "Killiane" most likely location.
Naughton - Claregalway, Burke/Corlis/Corless/Kemple - Tuam, Fahy/King/Grealish/Jennings/Walsh - Castlegar
Burke/Cunningham/Monaghan - Annaghdown
General: Lackagh/Turloughmore/Castlegar/Claregalway/Annaghown

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 07 December 13 16:26 GMT (UK) »
This is the cover page
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14160-18360-43?cc=1804886&wc=M9WJ-KZD:1719977808

But this place has no c in it, there seems to be as many possibilities as there are replies to this thread.

I like the look of Kilcurriv Eighter but there is no evidence any Whytes ever lived there also found a Kilcrin on the map viewer but that's no more likely than the rest.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 07 December 13 16:51 GMT (UK) »
As I've said else where I hate suggesting this site but there is a birth for a Patrick Whyte 1822 on RootsIreland, doesn't mean it's you guy but if you are willing to pay it might be worth a look, although be warned it will only be a transcript and so may have errors also may have very little information.

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 07 December 13 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for sticking with me Sinann on this  :)  I still don't think it's a 'v' on the end.  There's an entry for a John higher up & the 'n' looks like the end of my entry for Patrick.  On another entry he's written, 'Stevenage' & the 'v' looks different. Tomorrow I'll try & upload a bigger sample of the page.
When I first saw the first entry I read it as Kilearn.  On second thoughts I thought that maybe the fourth letter was a 'c'...Kilcarn.  The second image I read as Killcurrn.  Both sound very similar but that's me with an English accent, how would they sound with an Irish one  :-\
I've seen that RootsIreland entry but when I search with his father's name which was also Patrick I only get an 1827 Galway entry,

Jane