Author Topic: Bernard Riley  (Read 3450 times)

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bernard Riley
« on: Saturday 23 November 13 03:27 GMT (UK) »
Looking for birth and marriage info for my grandfather x3.  born approx between 1791-1795.  This is a long shot and I have very little to go on !!
1841 census has him in Barnsley W.Yorkshire and he is listed as a flax weaver, and both he and his wife Mary ? as being born in Ireland.
1851 - Still in Barnsley and is now a Linen weaver again born in Ireland.
1861 - Barnsley but now states born in Galway.
He and Mary had the following children....Caroline 1825, Ellen 1826, James 1829, Mary Ann 1835, John 1837 and Michael 1839 all born Barnsley apart from Caroline who may have been born elsewhere.
Bernard died in Ardsley by Barnsley in 1868.  Mary his wife born approx 1795 died 1869

And this is all I have to go on so hoping someone can point me in the right direction, am assuming they would have been married prior to Caroline/Catherine birth in 1825 and from then on am stumped.
Hoping someone can help me out here, as I am in Australia info is a little limited and I have to rely on the computer.
Regards Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline paperwork

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bernard Riley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 September 22 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Patvp, Bernard Riley 1791 is also my 3rd great grandfather, I'm not sure if I have contacted you before, he and Mary are also brickwall to me.  It is confusing, Ancestry keep trying to tell me Mary is Mary Bowen from CourtMatrix, descended from Palatines.  I haven't been able to find a wedding, but assumed it would be in Ireland.  I found a newspaper account of Mary's death when she had fallen into a boat at the canal edge.  Ellen Riley is my 2x  great grandmother. 

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 September 22 08:28 BST (UK) »
The only family birth I can see after civil registration might be Michael Reilly b 1839 with mother’s name Watkin.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline paperwork

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 September 22 09:47 BST (UK) »
That is so interesting, I do have Michael's birth as being in 1939, I have his death cert, he died at 6 Raywood Row, Barnsley.  12th Dec 1865, aged 26 years.  He was certified as having a fever and bronchitis.  This seems to be proof that Mary was not Mary Bowan, but Mary Watkin.  Thank you for that, another little snippet of info.  Regards, Carole

Offline paperwork

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 October 22 23:41 BST (UK) »
I want to thank everyone in regards to this enquiry, I can't remember all the names, but I seem to think one was heywood, thank you so much, I purchased a PDF of Michael Rielly's 1839 birth cert, it confirmed that Mary Riley's maiden name was Watkin, the address was the same as where the family were living on 1841 census, Dawson Wall, Barnsley, I was a ittle concerned as the father was shown as Bryan Rielly, whereas I had him as Bernard Riley, but again from RootsChat I found that these names, Bryan and Bernard are equivalent, the mother was shown as Mary Rielly formerly Watkin.  I have now ruled out the name Mary Bowen, and am trying to contact my other researchers of this family to rule out Bowen also, as Bowen is being pushed to me by Ancestry.  I am just very grateful to you all.    :D :D :D

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 October 22 00:25 BST (UK) »

A suggestion that might be of use to you -

Bernard RILEY, born 1791-1795, died Ardsley by Barnsley, 1868...... first birth found is Caroline 1826, when Bernard would be aged mid to late 30s.

Three sons born......James, John and Michael.

Naming sequence describes the order in which given names of close ancestors are given to children in a family. You need several children to demonstrate a pattern.

Naming convention, seen until well into the 20th century,  has father give his own name to..... a.... son.

Bernard should have a son named Bernard. 

If you are not seeing a RILEY-O'BRIEN marriage it might be that there is no marriage.

Your Bernard RILEY might still be married, and already has a son named Bernard, and not free to marry Mary O'BRIEN.

Offline paperwork

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 October 22 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Wivenhoe, Thanks for your reply, Yes, I thought there ought to be another Bernard Riley, son of (my 3 x great grandfather Bernard b about 1791), I did find a right sort of aged Bernard Riley in Rotherham, but of course I don't know if he is my Bernard's son.  Bernard's wife, my 3 x great grandmother was born Mary Watkin 1798.  I haven't found her marriage to Bernard yet, nor baptisms for their children as mentioned in the censuses, Catherine/Caroline I have her b as 1824, Ellen b1826, James b1828, Mary Ann b1831, Margaret b1834, John b1837 or Michael b1839.  When the children married, it was in C of E churches.  I do have B & D certs for Michael b 1839.  You mention a Mary O'Brien?   Mary is Mary Riley nee Watkin.   It is possibly my fault, I may have confused you, because Bernard has had several names on his children's documents, (Bernard, Bryan, and O'Brien)  I did wonder if Bernard and Mary ever married, or if he had another family, but they may have married in Ireland and I don't really know how to search there, that seems daunting.