Author Topic: I did'nt know this!!  (Read 37769 times)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: I did'nt know this!!
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 September 11 19:12 BST (UK) »
If it has not already been asked I pose the question "How would the GOONs respond to a question whether a specific surname had in fact been registered with them at any time?"

The easiest way to find an answer to that is to contact the Guild. Through the contact address on their website. ( reading the website content does not, unfortunately, provide an answer )

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 September 11 19:17 BST (UK) »
Will try that Falkryn, and report the outcome (if any)
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline seank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 September 11 22:55 BST (UK) »
You will also note that on the Guild's website they announce:

'Currently, over 2,400 people have registered over 7,900 study surnames with us '

When someone joins the Guild they are allocated a unique member number (you will see mine is 5000, I joined in 2008) and these are not reallocated after someone leaves. The last person to register in 2010 was given number 5577.

That would suggest to me approximately 3,200 members have lapsed for one reason or another, over the last 32 years.

I don't think I've given away any great secrets by telling you this   ;D
KISBY, KISBEE, KISBEY - All areas
KISBY, BAINES - Isle of Ely, Lincolnshire, Northants.
FOVARGUE, BLUNT - Isle of Ely
TAYLOR - Lancashire (Rochdale)
Guild of One-name Studies Membership (KISBY/KISBEE) #5000

Offline seank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 September 11 23:07 BST (UK) »
So, ultimately, the real question that needs to be asked is

'What happened to these 3,200 one-name studies?'

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 September 11 18:12 BST (UK) »
True, will attempt to contact the guild tomorrow, and as promised advice the outcome to this thread
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 15:51 BST (UK) »
The Guild did a survey last year to look at membership retention. People who have been with the Guild for a long time tend to stay, though there is inevitably a churn rate through sickness and death. Almost 25% of the members who originally joined in 1979 are still with the Guild today.

One of the problems that the survey highlighted was that members were unaware of all the services we offer, and those who didn't use the many services were the ones most likely to leave. Measures are now in hand to remedy this, but one of the important services that so many members were seemingly unaware of is the facility to archive one-name study material with the Guild. The material has to be available in digital format though exceptions are sometimes made for long-standing members where no other home can be found.

There are some one-name studies that are archived with the Guild.  These are known as librarian studies. If you search for one of these surnames in the online register you will get a message to say that the Guild Librarian has some material on the surname. Try searching for the surname Heppenstall as an example. The Librarian studies are also listed on the back page of the current edition of the printed register which is sent out to all members. There only appear to be a couple of hundred Librarian studies and it is a great pity that the work of so many former members has been lost, though I imagine some studies have been deposited at the SOG instead, especially in the yearly years before the digital archiving option became available.

If a surname does not show up as a Librarian study, the Registrar will be able to tell you whether or not a surname has been registered previously and he would also be able to supply the contact details of the previous registrant. You can write to the registrar at: registrar {--at--} one-name.org.

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace {--at--} with @

Researching: Ayshford, Berryman, Bodger, Boundy, Cruse, Cruwys, Dillon, Faithfull, Kennett, Keynes, Ratty, Tidbury, Trask, Westcott, Wiggins, Woolfenden.

Offline seank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 19:02 BST (UK) »
My back-of-a-postcard calculation of the lapsed membership figure is wrong, it will be lower because there are a significant number of Guild members who have not registered a surname with the Guild. I understand this may be for a variety of practical reasons.

But thanks for responding to this thread, Debbie.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 20:31 BST (UK) »
Nothing to report I fear, my surname is not registered and does not appear to have been previously. I have however bookmarked the page as there are other interesting sites regarding surnames mentioned in the links.