Author Topic: Royal Scots WW1 Roll of Honour  (Read 18839 times)

Offline stuartroxy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me at work! But not any more :0(
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Scots WW1 Roll of Honour
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 20:06 BST (UK) »
Alistair,

Pte 19095 William Roxburgh, 16th Bn Royal Scots was killed in action on 1 Jul 1916 on the first day of the Battle on the Somme.

William was one of 12 children of James and Jane (MS Slora) Roxburgh.  He was born at 16 Charlotte Street, Port Dundas, Glasgow - the family had moved to Edinburgh by the time of the Great War.

Pte 19711 Ernest Thomas Becker, 16th Bn Royal Scots was also killed on 1 Jul 1916.  He was born in St Andrews, Edinburgh and was one of 8 children of Ernest Peter Becker, from Prussia, and Kate Aitchison.  His older brother. Charles Stewart Becker also served with the Royal Scots during the Great War.

After the war, Williams sister, Jessie Ina Roxburgh, married Ernest's brother, Frank Becker.

stuartroxy
Roxburgh/Rock/O'Rouk - Edinburgh/Glasgow/Australia
Slora/Slorach - Edinburgh/Aberdeen/Moray
Roberts/Robert - Edinburgh/Torphichen
Cochrane - Edinburgh
Johnston - Shetland/Australia
Davison - Sunderland
Curtis - Sunderland/Norfolk
Shirran - Aberdeenshire/Edinburgh
Rettie - Aberdeenshire
Leng - Sunderland
Lay - Sunderland
Rogers/Rodgers - Sunderland

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 23:21 BST (UK) »
Stuart

Thank you. That kind of information prevents the casualties from remaining just statistics.

Alistair

Offline teakwood

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 November 12 20:19 GMT (UK) »
14440 McIntosh, Robert Lindsay, Cpl 13th Bn Royal Scots. KiA 1 August 1917.

Son of James McIntosh and Annie Lindsay. Born on the 12 January 1892 at 7 Henrietta Place, Glasgow, Scotland.

Husband of Ellen McIntosh ms Sartin of 194 Gallowgate, Carlton, Glasgow, Scotland. Married 20 May 1916 at 194 Gallowgate, Calton, Glasgow

Awarded The Military Medal. Date of Gazette 9 July 1917.

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 November 12 23:20 GMT (UK) »
14440 McIntosh, Robert Lindsay, Cpl 13th Bn Royal Scots. KiA 1 August 1917.

Son of James McIntosh and Annie Lindsay. Born on the 12 January 1892 at 7 Henrietta Place, Glasgow, Scotland.

Husband of Ellen McIntosh ms Sartin of 194 Gallowgate, Carlton, Glasgow, Scotland. Married 20 May 1916 at 194 Gallowgate, Calton, Glasgow

Awarded The Military Medal. Date of Gazette 9 July 1917.

Thank you.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 November 12 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Re the Royal Scots just get in touch with the archivist at Edinburgh Castle  Royal Scots Museum (very helpful in the past) if you know the soldiers number it makes it easier, If they can't get the exact info you require they can give you regimental leads.

Also at the Edinburgh Castle the Rolls of Honour for WW1 (Scotland) are on view to the public - I can't remember but I think its by regiments.

The people at the museum were very helpful.  Not sure if the service is still free - so there may be a small charge or donation

I enquired about a g/uncle of mine in the Seaforth Highlander (who died but body wasn't found) and there sent me info on the battle he died in etc. also I go info/leads on ggg/uncle who died in the Crimea (just from the medal info there gave me a regiment lead which resulted in getting a copy of his papers.

so, it is worth trying them

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 November 12 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Re the Royal Scots just get in touch with the archivist at Edinburgh Castle  Royal Scots Museum (very helpful in the past) if you know the soldiers number it makes it easier, If they can't get the exact info you require they can give you regimental leads.

Also at the Edinburgh Castle the Rolls of Honour for WW1 (Scotland) are on view to the public - I can't remember but I think its by regiments.

The people at the museum were very helpful.  Not sure if the service is still free - so there may be a small charge or donation

I enquired about a g/uncle of mine in the Seaforth Highlander (who died but body wasn't found) and there sent me info on the battle he died in etc. also I go info/leads on ggg/uncle who died in the Crimea (just from the medal info there gave me a regiment lead which resulted in getting a copy of his papers.

so, it is worth trying them

Unfortunately all the common databases are deficient in one aspect or another (CWGC, SDGW and SNWM) and this is what I an trying to deal with in the Rolls I am researching. I have actually found a significant number of men whose deaths were not included in these databases despite being caused by their war service. And, of course, the databases do not have any real biographical information.

Alistair

Offline cavvytri

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 November 12 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Pte Samuel Cowan SKELDON, 9th Battalion, Royal Scots.
Died aged 29 on Sunday 24/3/1918., born at Kings Stables Road in Edinburgh.
Sam was the brother of Elizabeth Bell KEDDIE (nee Skeldon), and after he was killed his two sons were raised by her in Glasgow.
He has no grave but is remembered on a memorial wall in Pozieres, Somme, France, and in the National War Memorial in Edinburgh Castle
He was my Great Uncle.
Amos,Burnside,Cowan,Hamilton,Lawrie,Reid,Skeldon,(East Lothian, Berwickshire)
Matthew,Tough,Sheriff,Guild,Gourlay,Cundall,Brown(Angus,Midlothian&Australia)
Dunn,Coombs,Dalrymple,Newman,Elliott, Embleton,Day
(Northumberland,Hampshire,Kent,Middlesex)
McPherson , Perth, Scotland
Cameron, Perthshire

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 December 12 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Alistair

Good on you for your efforts on this - I think it means so much more if some personal information is available for the fallen.  Here is one of mine:-

Private 39312 Robert Alexander
"A" Coy. 16th Bn. Royal Scots
Taken prisoner on 12 April 1918
Died of wounds in Lagensalza POW Camp 13 May 1918
Buried in Niederzwhren Cemetery, grave reference X.B.6.
Born 31 Dec 1892 at Bo’ness, West Lothian
Son of Thomas and Mary Alexander.
Also remembered on Bo'ness War Memorial and on his parents’ grave in Bo'ness Cemetery.

Robert married Joan Adamson in Glasgow on 6 Nov 1917 when he was home on leave.  Robert married Joan in secret and his family never knew of the marriage until after the war.  He returned to his unit in France a few days later and never saw her again.  He wrote to his family in April/May 1918 to tell them that he was a POW – but no mention that he had been wounded.  It is unknown if the wounds he died of were sustained at the front or in the POW camp.  He was a stretcher bearer in his unit and the youngest son in his family, in civilian life he worked for his father as a haulage contractor.

Osprey
Allan / Gordon / Aitken / Milne / Grant / Burnett in Aberdeenshire.  Allan / Alexander / McGowan in West Lothian / Davidson in Fife / Dempster in Lanarkshire / Allan / Burnett USA & Canada

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 December 12 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Good on you for your efforts on this - I think it means so much more if some personal information is available for the fallen.  Here is one of mine:-

Osprey

Thank you for that one. I will ensure that his full details are inserted in the RoH.

Alistair