Author Topic: Jessie McGregor 1879-1951, born Alexandria  (Read 15544 times)

Offline mozzer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jessie McGregor 1879-1951, born Alexandria
« on: Friday 22 June 07 14:26 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have info on Jessie McGregor and her siblings? She remained unmarried as far as I can tell. She's in 1891 and 1901 census and know she was still in Bridge St, Alexandria 1915.

Cheers, Mozzer

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie McGregor 1879-1951, born Alexandria
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 June 07 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Mozzer

Do you who her parents were ? If so should be able to get info from the 1881 census. Hopefully she will be one of the younger children.

if you let me have her parents details I'll happily look it up for you.

If you don't have her parents names then I would suggest a search for her birth or death cert which will have parents names. Both of these are available at Scotland's People.

£6 for 30 credits. A search is free. Should you decide to open the search is 1 credit and 5 credits per record viewed.

Cheers

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline mozzer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 July 07 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann

Many thanks for this. Jessie was the first child of John McGregor and Margaret McGowan. Both parents and all 6 children were born in Alexandria, in 1891 census, and lived at Bridge Street. I would like to find out what happened to her and her siblings, all girls but one. On her birth cert her father is a Finisher m or in Printfield. Do you know what this might be in the local area?

Cheers

Mozzer

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 July 07 19:07 BST (UK) »
john mc gregor married margaret mcgowan, 20/11/1875 bonhill, dunbarton

could be that john was the son of jessie mcgregor 20/11/1855(magical year)

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline mozzer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe

Thanks for this. Great! This looks like Jessie's parents.

Are there any descendants out there of John and Margaret McGregor?

Cheers

Mozzer

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hi mozzer

The details for the 1901 which is as far as it can be taken forward census wise at the mo are :

Family living at 130 Bridge St, Bonhill Alexandria

Details Elizabeth McGown (Mother in Law ) aged 72
John aged 50
margaret aged 46
jessie aged 21
maggie aged 20
helen aged 18
bella aged 16
john afged 13
annie aged 10
robina aged 7

What you can do now is use these names and dates in conjunction with Scotland's People to find births up to 1906, marriages up to 1931 and deaths up to 1956 on line. Aftyer that would need a visit to GROS where all images up to present day can be eseen on line.

Cheers

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline myyran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mozzer,
My maternal grandmother was Elizabeth McGowan born in Main Street Alexandria in February 1868,her parents were John McGowan who was a Carter and Elizabeth Jenkins.
I have been told that she was related in someway to McGregor's from the same area.

Elizabeth then went on to marry an Irishman Alexander Wright..did they then leave for Ireland sometime later?  On my Dads birth certificate, he was born in County Antrim.
But he had an older sister Elizabeth1891 and Thomas1893 both born in Alexandria
I'm sure there could be an connection somewhere.

Is there any descendant's of The Wrights,McGowan's McGregor's or the Jenkins from Alexandria.
Stevenson,Wright,  Antrim, Armagh.
McGowan,McGregor, Wright, Alexandria.   Grattan, McCauley. Ireland

Offline myyran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mozzer,
My maternal grandmother was Elizabeth McGowan born in Main Street Alexandria in February 1868,her parents were John McGowan who was a Carter.and Elizabeth Jenkins.
I have been told that she was related in someway to McGregors from the same area.
Margaret then went on to marry an Irishman Alexander Wright..did they then leave for Ireland sometime later???...on my Dads birth certificate,he was born in Connor,County Antrim.
I'm sure there could be an connection somewhere,or am I on the wrong track again.
Stevenson,Wright,  Antrim, Armagh.
McGowan,McGregor, Wright, Alexandria.   Grattan, McCauley. Ireland

Offline Mary Lea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mozzer,

When I married in 1957 my Mother gave me something old to carry. This was a white handkerchief with a very fine lace border.  She told me the handkerchief was given to her at the time of her marriage in Alexandria in 1926 by Jessie McGregor.  I still have the handkerchief.

Jessie, was I believe at that time Housekeeper to Dr. Cullen, who had a practice in Cardross. (This needs to be checked, because I have also seen the name Dr.Cullen in Alexandria on a list of local surnames)  This is how my Mother would have known Jessie as she was also working for Dr. Cullen as a house table maid.  My Mother's parents had died by 1924 and I think she possibly went into service following their deaths. 

Several of my relatives worked in the Printfields, my Great Grandmother's occupation was that of a 'Grounder'. I didn't know what this meant so I wrote to the Dumbarton library and received the following information: 'The Vale of Leven was a textile area, with cloth bleached, dyed and printed. The printworks also retained their original name of printfield when the processes were done still in the open fields (bleaching) before natural dyeing. Chemical dyeing changed much of this. Grounders were those who applied the secondary colours in calico printing.'  There is a web-site for the Turkey Red Trust which has a lot more information.
          Mary