Author Topic: Jessie McGregor 1879-1951, born Alexandria  (Read 15573 times)

Offline pathfinder35

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie McGregor 1879-1951, born Alexandria
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 04:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mozzer

John C McGregor  was my great great grandfather.  I know for sure.   Jessie McGregor is my great Grandmother.  She married John Fleming and they had a son named Andrew Fleming (my grandfather).  who had my mother,  who married my father, and they had me.  Me and my parents live in Canada.  My grandfather (andrew flemming) passed away in 1999.

We always thought jessie was named bessie,  but the census showed us her true name was jessie.  I do know John C McGregor was my great great grandfather for sure, because we have a book at home showing the history of the town he lived in,  Alexandria,  and the famous football team he played on, and the book has his writing in it,  with the adress 130 bridge street  (one of my relatives went to scotland in the 30s  to research our history and brought back the book.)  If you have any questions please write back.  Im also looking for information too,  as I am reasearching my family history.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Mary and Pathfinder35, welcome to RootsChat  :)

Mozzer has not been back on line since 2008...Hope other people here on RC can help.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meadowbank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 31 March 12 21:04 BST (UK) »
John C McGregor was a famous football (soccer) player in the 1870s, winning the Scottish Cup three times with Vale of Leven, the Alexandria team he helped to found, and also playing four times for Scotland.

Here is a picture of the team with him (although the caption has a typo with his initials!)

I suspect the book you have is 'The Old Vale and its Memories'.

Do you have details of his life? As a football historian I would be particularly interested to know his date of birth, and what the C stood for in his middle name.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 March 12 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Meadowbank

Hopefully people have confirmed John's details from certificates etc.

From what I can see generally, his parents are showing as Alexander and Janet (Cunningham, maybe the origin of his middle initial?).

Possible birth given for him on 20 February 1851 in Bonhill, Dunbarton.

From 1851:

Alexander Mcgregor 35, Carter (printfield), b. Drymen Stirlingshire
Janet Mcgregor 32 b. Kilmarnock, dumbarton
Alexander Mcgregor 8
Janet Mcgregor 6
Anne Mcgregor 4
Helen Mcgregor 2
John Mcgregor 1 Month
Cranford Wilson    24 visitor

Address: Bridge Street, Alexandria Bonhill

Needs to be confirmed though from records...

Monica

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 05:36 BST (UK) »
Hello,

It is some time since the posts on Jessie McGregor so I am hoping someone picks this up.

I am not related to Jessie McGregor but came across her when I was researching my local soldiers who died in WW1. One of these soldiers was John Munnoch, the portrait painter who died 28 June 1915. In his will, he mentions his sweetheart, Jessie McGregor, 130 Bridge Street, Alexandria, he also painted Jessie. There is a death for Jessie McGregor at this address on 4 April 1951. GROS: 1951 deaths 493/00  0062  This shows Jessie as being single, a ladies outfitter and with parents John Cunningham McGregor and Margaret McGowan.

Some of John Munnoch's work hangs in the Stirling Smith Art Gallery and a staff member has produced a booklet of his life, "The Girl in the Chinese Coat"(available online), which gives information about Jessie McGregor.

Apologies for putting a spanner in the works, especially for pathfinder35.

Mags

Offline pathfinder35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 06:41 BST (UK) »
Im beginning to think that Bessie Mcgregor  In my family tree.  Might be a nickname for Elizabeth.  Is there anybody in the Mcgregor clan from bridge street, with that name?  "Bessie" in my family tree died in Sault Ste Marie, in Canada around 1942.  I have the book old vale and its memories that my ancestor brought back to Canada.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 10:30 BST (UK) »

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 10:41 BST (UK) »

John C McGregor  was my great great grandfather.  I know for sure.   Jessie McGregor is my great Grandmother.  She married John Fleming and they had a son named Andrew Fleming (my grandfather).  who had my mother,  who married my father, and they had me.  Me and my parents live in Canada.  My grandfather (andrew flemming) passed away in 1999.

These are the details you gave for your line. Did Bessie/Elizabeth McGregor marry John Fleming in Scotland? If so, have you tried to look for the marriage registration online on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk If they married in Scotland, the marriage entry would include full details on parents' names for both bride and groom.

In the same way, if your grandfather Andrew also married in Scotland, his marriage details would let you confirm details on mother's name too. His birth cert is another source to be able to confirm his mother's name.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 11:02 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage in Bonhill in 1896 for a Bessie McGregor and a John Fleming.

Also a son born John. His marriage in Ontario 1924: www.apperley.ca/fam1925.html

Also see http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/p/a/r/Laurie-J-ParadeeArmijo/GENE10-0004.html

Possible 1901 census entry - everyone showing as born in Alexandria:

John Fleming 27 grocer
Elizabeth Fleming 25
William Fleming 3
John Fleming 2
David Fleming 7 Months

Address: 2 North St, Alexandria Bonhill

Monica