Author Topic: Scottish Orphanage  (Read 31419 times)

Offline Lady Frances

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scottish Orphanage
« on: Sunday 18 July 10 13:01 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find an orphanage called SMILIE'S CONVENT which was in Scotland somewhere.  I understand there was a fire some years later which destroyed all documentation.

My grandmother, CHARLOTTE  FRANCES  DEVINE - aged just 2 years, together with her sisters was sent there after the deaths of both of her parents.

I understand that brothers and sisters were split up when entering the orphanage.

In later years my grandmother met and married my grandfather JOHN FRANCIS MC.LAREN who had also been sent to the same orphanage.

I should love to know if this is showing on a census return.
Can anyone help me please?
Thanks in advance.
McLaren
Craig
Devine
Chalmers
Callender
Evans
McKenna
O'Hara

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Orphanage
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 July 10 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Lady Frances

Welcome to Rootschat!  :)

What date was grandma born?

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Lady Frances

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 July 10 13:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your prompt response.

My grandmother was born in 1897 at 35 Charlotte Street, Glasgow, where the family lived.

Siblings:

Elizabeth   12
Mary         18
Edward      16
Kate           6
Charlotte     4  (incorrectly written as 2 in my Post)
Josephine     2

My great-grandmother was already a widow in 1901 at just 42 yrs of age.  He name,  Margaret Devine.

Thanks for any help you can offer; much appreciated.
McLaren
Craig
Devine
Chalmers
Callender
Evans
McKenna
O'Hara

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 July 10 13:59 BST (UK) »
I saw that family - hopefully it narrows down the search to the Glasgow area - unless you know anything different?

Where were your grandparents married for example?  Was it away from Glasgow?  There's a chap who matches Grandpa's names in Edinburgh in 1901?

I will move this thread to the Scotland board, where the experts live!

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 July 10 14:05 BST (UK) »
There's a reference here to a Smyllum Orphanage - doesn't sound a nice place at all!

http://news.scotsman.com/topstories/Forgotten-orphans-of-Smyllum-laid.2461432.jp

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 July 10 14:12 BST (UK) »
Smyllum operated at the right time - run by Catholic nuns - and only closed recently:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/24730762

No mention of a fire - but the records might have been kept by the RC Church elsewhere after it shut.

???

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 July 10 14:14 BST (UK) »
Quote from Maggiemc Monday 28 September 09 10:35 BST (UK)       

hi there, if your ancestor was in a poorhouse/workhouse in the Glasgow area then there is a good chance that you will find the information at the City Archives, Mitchell Library.

If you - or anyone you know - lives in that area you can go and search for free. If not the staff will do it for you and you can get a copy of any application for about £10. It gives a lot of background information about the family circumstances and family members so very worthwhile having. 0141 287 2910.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 July 10 14:17 BST (UK) »
I might be on completely the wrong track here, but interesting a memorial to the children who died there was dedicated by one Bishop Joseph DEVINE.

http://www.communitycare.co.uk/Articles/2006/05/18/54048/The-past-is-always-present.htm

Offline Lady Frances

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 July 10 17:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you so, so much.  I don't know how to thank you enough for the time and care you took in gaining this information.  I had it spelled incorrectly, but now, at long last have the details.

The report makes interesting reading, as my grandmother's arm was broken by nuns in the orphanage, and it was broken for so long without treatment she ended up losing the elbow joint in her it.  She could never write with that arm either.

I think  they were treated so badly they knew nothing else.  I shall follow the story through and see what is happening/ or has happened since the onset of the story about the sad little graves.

Edinburgh is not one of my searches (and I have been searching for a long time) Dundee is on my grandfather's side of the family, but Glasgow was my mother's.  My grandmother's family (Craig) were very wealthy and worked as goldsmiths living and working at 168 The Gallowgate in Glasgow.  It is currently closed phone shop.

I hope shortly to be making a 'pilgrimage' to Glasgow to investigate further and certainly will be calling at St.Mary's to see the tiny graves.

I did in fact write to Bishop Joseph Devine a few years back, but he certainly did not amend the spelling of Smilie's (sic) Orphange in his reply; it was from him that I was told about a fire burning all records.

One wonders...
McLaren
Craig
Devine
Chalmers
Callender
Evans
McKenna
O'Hara