Author Topic: Help....can't find James Currie's mother!  (Read 32590 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Help....can't find James Currie's mother!
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 16:39 GMT (UK) »
This has been such a great post with everyone's support and contributions  ;) Really enjoyed seeing it unfold.

The hard part, as I see it now, will be determining what happened to James Neil Currie from his entry into the US in the late 1940s  :-\ By the sounds of it, looks like contact was lost then.

Maybe our US (or Canadian in case he went back) Rootschatters could help further with ideas, if a separate post was made there.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello iggie23,
     Sorry, I posted wrong 1901 Scotland Census. The one I posted was James Neil Currie's mother Margaret & his younger siblings. This is the one I meant to post & is a transcription from Ancestry.co.uk

James N Currie  Head  22  Stone Cutter.  282 Great Eastern Road, Camlachie, Glasgow.
        Julia  Currie       Wife  23
        Maggie Currie    Dau     4
        Mary  Currie      Dau     3
        Julia  Currie       Dau     2
        Ellen  Currie       Dau     9 months.
     All born Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland. This Census is also on Scotlands People. Search is free but you will need Credits to view. (http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk)
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello kshaw, iggie23 etc.

Found this 1911 Canadian Census when looking for Walter Currie. Thought he would be young enough to be still living with his mother. Could this be Margaret?
          Oliver Township, Thunder Bay, Ontario Province. Page 8.
 Name.                  Relation.    Age.    Occupation.             Birth.              Immigrated.     Race. 
Thomas Sulivan.     Head,        56       Section Foreman,     USA,               1900.              Irish. 
                             Married.               Railway.                  March, 1861. 

Margaret Sulivan.    Wife,         52            -                       Scotland,         1903.              Scotch.
                             Married.                                             June, 1859.

Walter Currie.          Son.         12            -                       Scotland,         1903.              Scotch.
                                                                                      May? 1899.         

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1911/pdf/e002022238.pdf

Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline iggie23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Saturday 03 May 14 00:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for all the help.  I'm researching from Canada using ancestry.ca, family search, and the resources of my local library.  James Neil Currie, his wife Julia Hilley Currie, and their children lived in York (Toronto) Ontario.  The family home was on Balliol Street, and their youngest daughter Ruby (who never married) lived there until her death in 1997.  James was always deserting the family for extended periods of time.  He spent a lot of time across the border in the Buffalo/Niagara area of New York state.  The 1921 Canada census is now available and it was difficult to track the family down.  Apparently they were trying not to be found.  James lied about the family name and their last name is given as Neis.  They had left their family home on Balliol Street and they were living at 278 George Street.  James Neis is listed as head of the house, and his wife Julia was listed along with their children Mary, John, George, Frances, Walter, Robina (Ruby), and Pearl.  The way I found them was by searching for their married daughter Julia Saunders.  Julia Saunders was back living with her parents and she had her two children with her.  I haven't been able to find out what happened to Julia's husband Cecil Saunders.  At the time of the 1921 census, their son James was an inmate at the Toronto Industrial Farm for stealing cars, and his home address was given as 278 George Street.  On September 28, 1922, the family made headlines in all the Toronto newspapers.  The youngest child Pearl was murdered in the family home on Balliol Street.  Julia Hilley Currie was charged with murder.  A couple of days after her arrest, she was transferred to a mental health facility.  She was kept there until April, 1925.  She went on trial in May, 1925 and she was found not guilty by reason of temporary insanity.  The judge called this one of the most sordid, tragic cases in Toronto history.  Julia's husband James Neil Currie was charged with incest and was sentenced to two years in jail plus lashes.  The doctors at the mental health facility said that the shock of finding out about  about what James had done had pushed her over the edge, and she had no recollection of the murder.  The Toronto Star newspaper has extensive coverage of the case.  The story can be found on the front page of the newspaper on September 28, 1922 (evening edition).  I had heard about what had happened years ago, but it was still a shock to see the actual newspaper coverage.  I'm still trying to find out what happened to James.  He crossed the border into the United States in 1946, and then disappeared.  I'm also trying to find out why he used an assumed name on the 1921 Canada census.  As well as lying about his last name, he lied about the year he immigrated (he said it was in 1904 instead of 1903) and he said that his parents were both born in Ireland.  Obviously he was hiding from someone or something.  This also makes me wonder if he had been in any trouble in Scotland.  There is a lot of mystery surrounding James.  My grandmother told me that one of James' sons took the blame for something that the father did, but she didn't tell me what it was.  My grandmother had married into the family, and I think she wanted to tell me, but couldn't do it.  I know the original post was about finding James Currie's mother, but this tells some of what happened to her son James and his family in Canada.  It makes me wonder if there is a criminal history in Scotland of the Currie family.

Offline Dunc1971

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, just found your post. Mary Ann Kenny (who married Neil Kenny (b.1885)) was a cousin of my mum's grandmother. Just did a search on Family Search and found a marriage for Margaret Currie (Sharkey) to a Michael Sullivan in 1912 at Murillo, Thunder Bay, Ontario - she is shown as the daughter of John Sharkey and Margaret Taylor. Thought this might help, although you might already have this information.

Offline kshaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Wow! I haven't been on here for ages.....Thank you so much everyone!

I will be heading over to Canada in May for a family visit and handing over all found info to my sister's mother-in-law. I have past tid-bits during the last few years, but have yet to be able to show her everything. There are a few more things that I'd like to clear up and or would just like to try and get a bit more on. 

I just wanted to say THANK YOU.

Offline Carrole Wells

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 21:21 BST (UK) »
hello  iggie   james currie was my great grandfather.i remember visiting aunt ruby on balliol st.toronto also aunt margaret,uncle jack, uncle walter lived northern. ontario.i had known that james was a very cruel man,the family was terrified of him. i think aunt mary was the youngest,she was mentally ill she would sit and play with her dolls all day.hopefully you get this message and can reply.carrole 

Offline Charjane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Saturday 29 February 20 07:35 GMT (UK) »
This has been amazing to read! James (father of Neil) was my great great grandfather. Neil and Mary Ann had Walter and John in Scotland before immigrating to Port Arthur Ontario. They went on to have 7 more (not 5) children. Neil, Margaret, William, James, Thomas Ruby and Lindsay. Thomas was my grandfather, and I heard many stories of his parents. :)

Offline kshaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Sunday 01 March 20 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Carrole Wells & Charjane,

I was doing research for your cousins in Thunder Bay, one of which is my sister's mother-in-law. If you private message me we can exchange emails. I'll send you everything I have on this line.

Sorry Carrole Wells, I'm not sure why but I didn't get an email to notify me that you'd posted on here.