Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Coat Of Arms.  (Read 4551 times)

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
(*Completed with thanks*)Coat Of Arms.
« on: Sunday 09 March 14 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Can anyone tell me what this belongs to, I think the top and bottom banners have been over painted.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Coat Of Arms
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 March 14 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Bruce,

Can I ask where you saw this?  There is something not quite right with the colours - there seems to be a fess across the middle with three charges on it which I feel should be a different colour  :-\

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 March 14 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nell

I would ignore the coloring I think it has been recolored to suit the premises it is on.

the original banner top and bottom have been repainted and you cant see what is underneath.

cant get very close to it as it is three storeys high. I thought it may have had something to do with ferrymen or fishermen could be wrong often am.

Seen at the bottom of the high street in Perth.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 March 14 08:13 GMT (UK) »
In addition to a motto, which would be on the bottom (blue) ribbon, there seems to be some writing underneath?

Shame it's 3 stories up! ;D

Don't suppose you fancy climbing up for a closer look?!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 March 14 10:09 GMT (UK) »
My day's of daft stunts long gone (to old) will now break if I fall.

I missed that bit will have a look at original photo

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 March 14 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bruce,

It is on a house that was once known as the Castle of the Green and in the 19th century was occupied by Baroness Nairne.  The arms are of Mercer of Fordel and are correctly blazoned

Or, on a fess between three crosses pattee gules in chief and a star of six points azure in base as many bezants all within a bordure of the third.
Crest: the head and neck of a heron erased holding in its beak an eel seizing the neck of the former all proper.
The motto - above the arms - should be: The grit pool (I think someone took a flying guess at that!)

So the shield background should be gold, the fess(bar) across the middle is red with gold bezants on it, the star is blue.

Hope that answers the question for you.

Nell

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 March 14 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nell

I took camera for a walk on Saturday around Perth it's surprising what you see when you look up.

have you any idea what the writing is below the blue banner at the bottom.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 March 14 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Sadly my eyes are not up to it, but possibly it might say "Here stood the Castle of the Green" if what I found is anything to go by.

I think there should be something else in the blue banner at the bottom, possibly "Crux Christi Nostra Corona"

The top motto would probably have been in the vernacular - ye gret poul - which may have led to the confusion leading them to put the name of the house there.  The occupants are supposed to keep the coat of arms properly maintained.

Nell

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 March 14 13:36 GMT (UK) »
The arms of those of Colonel Mercer of Aldie.
From the Alternative Perth website (http://www.alternative-perth.co.uk/watergate.htm):

Number 3 (also Number 28/30 High Street) is the replacement building for the House of the Green (and that the Mercer House before it). It was erected around 1788 under the guidance of Colonel Mercer of Aldie. According to Fittis: “The tenement bears on the front a marble tablet displaying the Aldie heraldic bearings, with this inscription above - ‘The arms of Aldie’ - and this below - ‘Here stood the Castle of the Green’. The whole tenement originally belonged to the Aldie family; but the late Countess de Flahault, Baroness Keith and Nairne, died possessed of only the upper flat. The proprietors of the different portions of the house are bound, by their titles, to maintain the Aldie arms on the front, gilded.

http://heraldry.celticradio.net/search.php?id=6
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)