Author Topic: Millsopp, McConnell - Armagh before 1880's  (Read 15209 times)

Offline zeebra

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Millsopp, McConnell - Armagh before 1880's
« on: Sunday 07 December 08 16:05 GMT (UK) »
My Gr-Grandfather Moses Millsopp Married Sarah Wright (nee McConnell) 25/3/1876 in Seagoe, Co. Armagh.
Moses was a British Army Pensioner (59th Foot Regiment). His records at Public Records Office, Kew show that he joined up 29/11/1854 (age 20 years) - born Tartaraghan (about 1834). His parents were noted as William Millsopp and Mary Ann.
Family stories suggest that he was part of a family with equally biblical names. The story goes that they emigrated but he stayed in Ireland.
At discharge from the army (14/12/1869) he went to Hamilton, Scotland. Pension records show that he was in Belfast by March 1870 and Glasgow by September 1871. IGI shows a submitted entry with a date of birth for him in 1851. (in which case the British army were recruiting them very young in those  days!)
I am having trouble finding any further details about Moses or before.
I am looking for details for Moses birth about 1834 and anything on his parents William Millsopp and Mary Ann (maiden name unknown)
Any details would be much appreciated.
Crossan - Lanarkshire,
Millsopp - Armagh - Lanarkshire,
Carroll - Sligo - Glasgow,
Donnelly - Donegal - Fort William - Glasgow, O'Donnell - Donegal,
Graham - Donegal - Renfrewshire - Lanarkshire, Gilchrist - Portobello - Lanarkshire - Whitehaven, Scott - Portobello - Lanarkshire

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Millsopp, McConnell - Armagh before 1880's
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 December 08 16:14 GMT (UK) »
There are lots of Millsopps from Co. Armagh listed in IGI, many with Biblical names like Abraham, Jacob, Isaac, etc. and at least one Moses.
An Abraham Millsopp born 1836 Co, Armagh was son of William (1801-1879) m.(1830) Mary Matchett. They seem to have gone to Ontario but some of the records are submitted and would need to be checked carefully. Search IGI (www.familysearch.org) for Millsopp + Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 December 08 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
    If you go back to the IGI and enter William Millsop and Mary Ann only in the Parent Search it brings up quite a few children of William Millsop and Mary Ann Machett

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline zeebra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 December 08 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey and Kingskerswell,
In the past I have done more or less what both of you have suggested. I viewed the results and came to what I presume are the same conclusions. There is a gap in the birth dates for the Milsops (Milsaps) in Canada (1833 & 1835) - the biblical names are there - parent names are there. However there is a James Millsop born 1827 Tartaraghan - father William , mother Mary Ann, which seems to be outside that group and I am wondering if this is another family. I am considering a trip to PRONI, but I suppose I am just trying to save some time and money.
Thanks again.
Crossan - Lanarkshire,
Graham - Donegal - Renfrewshire - Lanarkshire, Gilchrist - Portobello - Lanarkshire - Whitehaven, Scott - Portobello - Lanarkshire

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 December 08 22:11 GMT (UK) »
hi zeebra,
there looks like there is another moses milsop in the parish of tartaraghan.
this moses is listed in a 1851 census abstract from breagh townland aged 21.the father was william,died 1843, and mother was elizabeth. the head of the household is joseph,28 and unmarried. there are 11 children in the family but none with particularly biblical sounding names.i thought this might be of interest as they are maybe cousins of your milsop.

tony

Offline zeebra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 December 08 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony,
Thanks for the reply. There appear to be three or four Moses' on the go. Nodoubt they are all related. If I can get enough details on them I may be able to unravel the knot!
The Moses born about 1849 - Balteagh died in Glasgow 1891
My Moses born about 1834 - died 1887 - Hamilton
There is another on IGI born 1826 Tartaraghan.
If you happen to come across anything and can pass it on it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again
Bill
Crossan - Lanarkshire,

Offline moira55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 00:58 GMT (UK) »
I dont know if this info is any help but I have a Joseph Milsop b1879 in Ireland and possibly Armagh as I have a brother of his named Isaac who is recorded as being born Armagh.  Joseph married one of my family connections in Glasgow and his father was Moses Milsop b 1846 from Ireland and he was married to Ann Jane Struthers.  He died in Glasgow in 1891.  His other children were named Liza James Maria Moses William and Catherine.

Offline zeebra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 January 09 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Moira,

Thanks for the reply. During my very early searches for my Moses I found this info on that branch of the family.
In the Army Pensions records at Kew there is an entry for an ISAAC MILSOP who enlisted with the Highland Light Infantry @ Hamilton on 22/3/1889 (discharged 10/5/1892). He was born (1870/71) in Portadown, Co. Armagh, and lists his father, Moses Milsop of 477 South Wellington Street, Glasgow as his next of kin. There is also a William Milsop (born 31/1/1882) of 470 South Wellington Street. His father's name was Moses and his mother's name was Jane Anne (married 19/5/1868 in Kilmore, Co. Armagh).
This Moses died on 4/4/1891 at 460 South Wellington Street, aged 41 years. Cause of death PHTHISIO PULMENALIA. His father was listed as ISAAC MILSOP; mother CATHERINE m/s MCGOVERN.
Given his age at date of death it would be reasonable to suggest that this may be the Moses born about 1849 in Balteagh Co. Armagh.
I haven't been able to establish any links between the two branches yet as I still have to confirm the surname of my Moses mother. His Death Cert. only states Mary.
Thanks again for the post, I hope some of this might be of use to you.

Bill
Crossan - Lanarkshire,

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 January 09 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   This may muddy the water a little but there is a parish of Balteagh in Co. Londonderry. It is just to the south east of the town of Limavady. I have just noticed a marriage of a Milsop to a Moody in 1833 in Ballykelly which is immediately to the west of the town. I have been researching names in this area for several years and this is the first time I have come across Milsop!

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim