Author Topic: Mary Ann Baillie  (Read 19395 times)

Offline applemac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Baillie
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 April 12 19:32 BST (UK) »
if you look at PRONI wills   there are other Hugh Bailies.   i notice one in Auglish  (scarva ,  ? your comment on the orange order)   which would be  near Newry.
another Hugh in Hilltown, again near newry.

Offline applemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 April 12 10:14 BST (UK) »
still trying to work this out. if you look at the 1901 census there is a hugh Bailie living in Aughlish  (Ballysheil, armagh)   a RIC pensioner  and farmer. he is aged 53 , making him born about 1848. however  in 1911 he is down as 65 making him born about 1838. could  he be a brother to your mary  born 1840.  according to PRONI wills this Hugh died in 1919.
this hugh  appears to have 8  children, including hugh alexander  born about 1884 and died 1937 , then living Lisnabrague  co Down.
Aughlish, Scarva, Ballysheil , Lisnabrague   are all in the same    area    on the road to newry,  and i think this area is close to the co armagh and co Down border so if this is your family  they could have lived  in co armagh or co Down.   The village of Scarva  is very much associated with the Orange order  (13th July  celebration ) which ties in with your comment.

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 April 12 10:30 BST (UK) »
Yes, I had looked at that Hugh and ruled him out, as he was born in Co. Louth, and his wife in Co Wicklow.
RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline applemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 April 12 12:18 BST (UK) »
you're right,  i missed that.  i'm becoming a bit addicted to the Bailie family ! 
i have found a connection between  co Louth and scarva though .  on PRONI  wills  there is a john Bailie Treagh co Louth died 1876    and the executor  is a hugh Bailie of scarva co Down  " Sub constable of Police"
this  might tie in with the hugh Bailie on the 1901 census being a RIC pensioner.

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 April 12 15:29 BST (UK) »
I bet it does.  I have Baillies from Co. Monaghan in my family tree, hence the interest.  I had originally thought that they were your ones, but a bit more digging found them in Castleblayney.
RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline drewgle

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 April 12 01:26 BST (UK) »
My 2nd great-grandparents were Samuel Bailie (b 1851 - Tullyvallen) and Sarah Clugston (b 1852 - Ballymoyer). They appear in the 1901 census in Tallyvallen, Newtonhamilton having returned to Ireland from Scotland, where they moved to in the mid-late 1870's. According to their marriage record of 1873, Samuel's father was also named Samuel - occupation given as 'Farmer'.
At the moment I am trying to piece together a connection with other members of the Bailie family who were living in the area at around that time. I have found one other Samuel Bailie (1806-1872), but no others. The earliest record of Bailie farmers are Hugh and William (Longfield, Castleblayney - Sep 1759): I've also come across a reference to retirement in Aug 1782.
From what I can make out, there are certain given names that appear regularly, eg. John (1779-1864); ((1792-1865); (1793-1875); (1817-1877); (1818-1899); (1827-1892). Other recurrences include William, Thomas, Hugh, Robert and Alexander. If you know of any connection to my branch, I would be most grateful to learn about it.
Drewgle
Conant (Sidmouth, Devon); Lines (Northamptonshire); Warwick (Northamptonshire); Pearson (Church Brampton); Law (Weston Favell); Adams (Gayton & Hardingstone); Church/Gilbert/Day/Perkins/MacKness/Pendred (Wymington)

Offline applemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 April 12 13:43 BST (UK) »
 i have left you some info on the creggan history site. if you don't get it let me know. my great grandfather was john bailie born 1851 tullyvallen  and i think samuel was either a cousin or brother , according to 1901 census , john and a samuel  were living next door to each other. i have photos of "my" bailie house in which my grand mother was born.

Offline drewgle

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 April 12 15:21 BST (UK) »
The following link is of a record of John and Agnes's marriage. It shows John's father as William Bailie, which counts out John and Samuel as being brothers (Samuel's father was also named Samuel):-

If the link doesn't work, let me know.
Drewgle

Moderator Note: link removed as it is against terms & conditions of the site "You must be registered, logged in and have purchased sufficient credit vouchers before you can view the detail records"
Conant (Sidmouth, Devon); Lines (Northamptonshire); Warwick (Northamptonshire); Pearson (Church Brampton); Law (Weston Favell); Adams (Gayton & Hardingstone); Church/Gilbert/Day/Perkins/MacKness/Pendred (Wymington)

Offline applemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 April 12 17:13 BST (UK) »
you're right, john's father ( My grt grt grandfather ) was william 1811-1889 and i think his father was also william ? died 1862.   i think hugh and caleb were uncles of john.  there were a lot of Bailies living in tullyvallen, and despite samuel and sarah living next door to john, agnes and jeanie ( my granny), i still have to confirm how each are related.
with regards the name clugstone,  i found a mary clugstone who married a joe downey in 1831 and had a daughter mary .and a richard warmington who married ? clugstone. warmingtons would also be in my family tree. i have some more details on hugh bailie 's family if you think he fits into your tree.
i still think we share ancestors , it's just trying to work out how!!!!