Author Topic: Robert Gault, farmer, Tamlaght, with ties to Erwin / Irvine, Alcorn, Kerr, Hazle  (Read 4548 times)

Offline Julie in Ohio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have become interested in Robert Gault, farmer, of Tamlaght. I find the name (surely not the same person) in online records from 1831 to 1931, and especially 1899 until the 1920's named as executor in wills of Irvines and Alcorns from Dromacarney / Drumakearney and Limavady. The Robert Gault who died in 1931 was survived by wife Margaret Eliza and son Thomas Vincent Gault. According to a newspaper article he left several charitable bequests, including to the Broadlane Reformed Presbyterian Church, Limavady.

The name Robert Gault interests me because of my attempts to track the origins of brothers William and John Kerr (b. 1800-1810) of the Limavady area, who emigrated to the Barry, Illinois area during 1848-1850's. They had a maternal cousin Peggy Miller (daughter of William Miller) who married a Robert Gault (or perhaps Gaunt).

Any suggestions for finding out more about this Gault family and possible relation to my families of interest would be much appreciated.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The Gaults have been at Tamlaght a long time which makes them easier and at the same time harder to trace.

If you wish to trace the Robert Gault who died in 1931 there are the usual online resources and other ways you can get information.

PRONI has the Will: “Gault Robert of Tamlaght county Londonderry farmer died 7 September 1931 Probate Londonderry 4 November to Margaret Eliza Gault the widow and Thomas Vincent Gault farmer. Effects £2796 1s. 10d.”

1901 and 1911 census records show the family as Reformed Presbyterian, etc.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Fruithill/Tamlaught/1525624
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Fruithill/Tamlaght/596695

The marriage of Robert Gault & Margaret Eliza Hopkins should list his father's name-
Oct./Dec.1892 Limavady registration district, vol. 1 page 869
details on ordering certificates-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,383526.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Gault, farmer, Tamlaght, with ties to Erwin / Irvine, Alcorn, Kerr, Hazle
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 April 13 05:45 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you have looked at the latest records to come from PRONI.
PRONI, the Northern Ireland Public Records Office has just finished copying and putting the Griffiths revaluation records from the 1860s to 1930.

There has always been a gap between the dates of the most common records being the Griffiths valuation records 1840s/60s and the 1901/1911 censuses. These revaluation books fill that gap.

http://applications.proni.gov.uk/dcal_proni_val12b/Search.aspx

You can track the pattern of land occupation and I have tracked this for the Tamlaght Gault family as I think/know they eventually came to own the land at Shanreagh that my people had - who also had Erwin/Irwin connections.  I have found earlier Gault/Irwin/Ramage connections near Coleraine as well. I will PM you as I don't want to put any possible living names here.

What have you found out about the Miller link? Were they Limavady people?

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Gault, farmer, Tamlaght, with ties to Erwin / Irvine, Alcorn, Kerr, Hazle
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 April 13 05:47 BST (UK) »
Sorry Julie system is not allowing me to PM you.  You could PM me. 

Offline Julie in Ohio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 April 13 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Shanreagh,

I have PM'd you, per request. I look forward to hearing from you.

In response to your questions:

1) GV Revision Books:

I have not looked at Tamlaght, but have for Drumacarney and now Ballyness, Dungiven (as a possible origin of Leslie Irwine / Irwin, who emigrated with two of William Kerr and Betty Irvine's sons and settled in Philadelphia). There is a separate thread about what I have been finding about him.

You are correct that it is a rich resource.

2) The Miller family:

I have not looked for them seriously yet. My previous attempts were defeated by the commonness of the surname in the area and my unfamilarity with or lack of access to records. I put this whole question of the origin of William Kerr and Betty Irvine aside for decades and only have returned to it since mid-February. Only recently have I realized I should be looking at spelling variants such as Carr and Irwin, so in a way I am starting over.

I believe that Billy Miller lived about 4 miles from N. Limavady towards Londonderry. His unnamed sister who married an unnamed Kerr from Scotland had two children, William (m. Betty Irvine about 1831) and John (m. Eliza Torrens about 1841). Betty died about 1844, and I infer that her children then lived with, or had very frequent contact with, their mother's relatives, since I have the most detailed information about them. That the names of Billy Miller and two of his four children (William and Peggy who married Robert Gant / Gault) suggests that they also were alive in the late 1830's and 1840's. I think these names came from the memory of William and Betty Kerr's daughter Eliza, who emigrated with her uncle John and his young family in 1848, when she was 14.

I also suspect that Billy Miller's father was William, based on his nickname Billy and son William. His sister died when her Kerr sons were very young, so perhaps 1815?

As far as who were "Limavady people," I have three brothers Kerr who came to Newtown Limavady, "bo't a township," and set up linen and corn mills there. I have not yet found any evidence of this. I also know that the fourth child of William and Betty Kerr, Alexander, was born "in Newtown Limavady" in 1840-1842. His older sister Eliza wrote in her bible that she was born "in County Limavady" and told her daughter that she was born near Londonderry.

Thanks for any insights you can offer. I'm finding a steep learning curve with finding and interpreting records, let alone interpreting the notes that I inherited!n

Offline ShanRea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi

I am trying to find a Robert Gault of Tamlaght :-\ but think it must be a generation before the above Robert Gault,  have approx date, Robert Gault born 1803 and married Margaret Millar however I don't have a date for their marriage.  Think they had the following children Thomas , Sarah Jane, William, Robert ( think this is the Robert Gault that married Margaret Hopkins) , Anne, Samuel, I think this Robert Gault does anyone have any information that could help me please! :)

Offline Julie in Ohio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi

I am trying to find a Robert Gault of Tamlaght :-\ but think it must be a generation before the above Robert Gault,  have approx date, Robert Gault born 1803 and married Margaret Millar however I don't have a date for their marriage.  Think they had the following children Thomas , Sarah Jane, William, Robert ( think this is the Robert Gault that married Margaret Hopkins) , Anne, Samuel, I think this Robert Gault does anyone have any information that could help me please! :)

I think we might possibly have the same Robert Gault m. Margaret (Peggy) Miller/Millar. A birthdate of 1803 for Robert puts him in the same generation as my William Kerr. William had a maternal uncle Billy Miller whose daughter Peggy married a Robert Gault / Gant.

Offline KateConnell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 April 22 22:25 BST (UK) »
Julie,

The Robert Gault you mention (c1803-1900) is my third great-grandfather. I have verbal stories about the Gaults of Tamlaght during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The Gaults are still at Tamlaght today.

Would love to know what further information you have on the Millers/Gaults. Do PM me.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
When my Ramage/Erwin/Irwin family emigrated to NZ in !884/86 the Gault family took over their property.  I was so happy to meet the Gault family when I visited Limavady/Shanreagh T/L in the early 2000s and to see from their farm plan that one of their paddocks, as we would call them here in NZ, fields as I guess you call them, was called Ross Ramage's garden.  The hospitality I was shown by the family was cherished and I valued being able to discuss Limavady things with locals and people who had a connection to my family.