Author Topic: Andrew Stewart/ Sarah McCaig  (Read 3200 times)

Offline Bluevegas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Stewart/ Sarah McCaig
« on: Sunday 08 December 13 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Evening All,

Am having no luck whatsoever finding out anything on my Great grandfathers side of the family.
Andrew Stewart born 13 Sept 1868 in Glasgow. His parents Andrew Stewart and Sarah McCaig were married in Coleraine, Londonderry, Ireland on the 27 Nov 1867. I can't find any birth, actually any records about either of them. If anyone can help I would be really appreciative. I want as much info about them as I can get my grubby little hands on.

Many thanks in advance

Sheridan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Stewart/ Sarah McCaig
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 December 13 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of births only started in 1864 so for earlier dates you need to see if church records exist- to do so you'll nee to know that family's religion and where they lived (parish if not actual townland). Also, bear in mind that as well as being a town, Coleraine was the name of the registration district which covers a wider area.

This looks like your Andrew- do you have the birth certificate? Is that where you've found the date and place of marriage? (not always accurate and I haven't yet found the marriage in the online civil registration index or other resources)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQR4-Y91
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 January 14 10:27 GMT (UK) »
The 1871 Census suggests they also had a daughter, Georgina, born c1865 Glasgow.......have you checked her birth certificate?  Could the 1867 on Andrew's birth possibly be 1861? I see from the census that Sarah too was born in Scotland as was her, it would seem, mother, who is living with them. Only Andrew senior was born Ireland.

Or, have you considered the Georgina McCaig birth in Glasgow in 1865 to mother Sarah McCaig, no father named?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQWZ-NPX

Why not check the 1871 to see if you can find another Georgina and Sarah in right area and with right birth year. If none, perhaps this is the Sarah who later met Andrew and had a child Andrew with him and they also gave his surname to her daughter.  Maybe the 'marriage date and place' on birth certificate of Andrew was to make it seem as if they had married, when they perhaps hadn't. Always worth considering all possibilities, especially when so far, no obvious record in Ireland.

Catherine McCaig's death certificate may also yield some further clues about Sarah.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Bluevegas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 February 16 21:58 GMT (UK) »
The 1871 Census suggests they also had a daughter, Georgina, born c1865 Glasgow.......have you checked her birth certificate?  Could the 1867 on Andrew's birth possibly be 1861? I see from the census that Sarah too was born in Scotland as was her, it would seem, mother, who is living with them. Only Andrew senior was born Ireland.

Or, have you considered the Georgina McCaig birth in Glasgow in 1865 to mother Sarah McCaig, no father named?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQWZ-NPX

Why not check the 1871 to see if you can find another Georgina and Sarah in right area and with right birth year. If none, perhaps this is the Sarah who later met Andrew and had a child Andrew with him and they also gave his surname to her daughter.  Maybe the 'marriage date and place' on birth certificate of Andrew was to make it seem as if they had married, when they perhaps hadn't. Always worth considering all possibilities, especially when so far, no obvious record in Ireland.

Catherine McCaig's death certificate may also yield some further clues about Sarah.

Please excuse the mammoth amount of time it has taken to reply to this post!! It seems you are indeed right about the apparent marriage. I think it is definitely right that Sarah and Andrew lied about their wedding and he took Georgina as his own.

I can't find any other info about any of them! Any ideas or help you could offer?