Author Topic: Huston/Houston  (Read 6313 times)

Offline quantum1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Huston/Houston
« on: Thursday 30 January 14 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Rachel Huston/Houston was born around 1835 in Castledawson, Londonderry, Ireland. She married Henry Rogers in Coleraine, Australia in 1875. Her father's name was J Huston. Can anyone help me find any information about her parents or siblings?
Rachel arrived in Australia in 1857 at Portland.
She was married to Henry in the Presbyterian church in Coleraine. Henry's other brother, James, followed him to Australia in 1866. They were both born to Charles Rogers and Esther Duncan in Larah, County Cavan.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Huston/Houston
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 January 14 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Griffiths Valuation c1859 lists one Huston in Magherafelt district:

James Huston of Mullaghboy townland, Magherafelt

it also lists some Houston and Hewston names, of these, one of the Hewston has James as forename (of Bridge Street, Castledawson).

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 January 14 16:46 GMT (UK) »
I've also posted on the original topic on Donegal board-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=675812.msg5206696#msg5206696
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 January 14 17:12 GMT (UK) »
He married on 11 October 1871 at Hamilton, Vic., Margaret daughter of John Huston, by his wife Margaret [nee McGurk] formerly of Castle Dawson, Ireland
....found at:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0xuc/

might be worth checking further given surname and location/s.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline summerliz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 April 15 10:11 BST (UK) »
I have a James HOUSTON b c 1841 at Castledawson, son of John HOUSTON or HUSTON (James's name at marriage is spelt HUSTON, but latterly HOUSTON was settled on).
This James's children included a Rachel and a Margaret, which tie in the names of with possible sisters mentioned on this page. Since his eldest daughter's name was Margaret, that might well be his mother's name (note the info on the Margaret who married Mr Edgar in New Zealand. Or of course it could all be coincidence !!

'My' James marred Isabella McCluskey or McCloskey on 31 Jan 1863. Around 1870, they moved to Tyneside (Jarrow) where they remained for the rest of their lives. Various of their descendants emigrated to Canada (BC) whilst others remained on Tyneside.

I do feel we probably have a link here and should be very interested to know if you have found out any more since the original post.

Offline Beth Wynn-Williams

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 October 15 03:10 BST (UK) »
I am searching for the family tree of Margaret Edgar (nee Huston) from Castledawson Londonderry, who married Adam Edgar in Victoria, Australia prior to moving to Tapanui, New Zealand. Any information would be much appreciated

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 October 15 10:32 BST (UK) »
I am searching for the family tree of Margaret Edgar (nee Huston) from Castledawson Londonderry, who married Adam Edgar in Victoria, Australia prior to moving to Tapanui, New Zealand. Any information would be much appreciated

Dates?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 06:07 BST (UK) »
Hi, in the parish registers I could find no birth for Rachel. However, James Huston/Houston had 2 of his children that were baptised where no first name or gender attributed to them. One was baptised on 14 Dec 1828 & the other baptised 15 March 1832. Both in Castledawson, co Derry. For father John Houston/Huston, I could find no birth for Rachel nor any baptisms with no name. If you think James is the correct father let me know and I can give you the baptisms of his other children. As to Charles Rogers & Esther Duncan, I could find no marriage between 1815-1835 nor the births of Henry or his brother James. The only baptism I found was to a sister Catherine on 8 June 1834 in the parish of Kildrumferton, county Cavan. Hope something helps, Kim

Offline Nathjames

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 September 19 12:53 BST (UK) »
The marriage certificate for Henry and Rachel looks to have her parents as John Huston (tradesman) and Margaret McCork.  I’ve found reference to a brother James Huston (b. 1843), and Margaret Huston (b. 1845)