Author Topic: Gas street Wellington somerset  (Read 2932 times)

Offline matilda1973

• RootsChat Senior
  • nipton and his daughters Cinderella and amelia
    • View Profile
Gas street Wellington somerset
« on: Thursday 07 November 13 11:51 GMT (UK) »
hi
   i wondered if anyone knew where Gas street in wellington. having lived here my whole life i dont know where it is  i remember my nan saying it when i was a child but have no clue where it was and im pretty sure it must of changed to something else
                            Many thanks Matilda 
travellers: Penfold, Holland, Orchard, Loveridge, saunders, James, Davis<br />Somerset/devon: Hawkins, Lane, Perryman, Saffin, Bowden, Warren<br />Yorkshire/Lincolnshire: Webster, Gleadell, Gott, Patrick, Milnes, Beverley

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gas street Wellington somerset
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 November 13 12:22 GMT (UK) »
I checked on various census and the nearest location I can come up with is that Gas Street was between Foxdown terrace (not many houses) and Mantle Street. It was quite a big street about 50+ house, but not as many as Mantle street. Looking at a modern map I see that Mantle street is still there, so maybe you can use that as a starting point.

Added : The next road after Foxdown Terrace is Swains.

Offline matilda1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 November 13 12:34 GMT (UK) »
thanks,
              im guessing that its now part of mantle street as that now goes way down past the entrance to foxdown terrace and swains  and all the way to fore street. thanks for looking for me
               Matilda
travellers: Penfold, Holland, Orchard, Loveridge, saunders, James, Davis<br />Somerset/devon: Hawkins, Lane, Perryman, Saffin, Bowden, Warren<br />Yorkshire/Lincolnshire: Webster, Gleadell, Gott, Patrick, Milnes, Beverley

Offline somersetlass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Gas street was at the bottom end of Champford Lane, so between Foxdown Terrace and the junction with Mantle Street.  So named due to the Wellington Gas & Coke Co formed in 1833 which had its works in Champford Lane, there were also large gasholders and opposite was the milk factory.  These were all demolished and new houses built (Champford Mews, Willcocks Close & Walkers Gate).  The current access into Champford Lane was created through the old milk factory entrance just over 20 years ago so the current Champford Mews was the original line of Champford Lane.  Although Gas Street might appear to be big on various census the cottages would have been small.
It simply takes      “One act of Random Kindness at a time”      to change the world

Research areas:
mainly Devon and Somerset
but also South Wales, Sussex, Sheffield, Northern Ireland, Fifeshire

Names:
Marshall & Goldsworthy; Bass & Nicol; Worden & Hobbs; Noble & Haste
Woodberry & Chorley; Moon & Hart; Brice & Richards; Denham & Honeybun

Offline matilda1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that i can remember the milk marketing board factor from when i was a kid and the way the road use to go.