Author Topic: Haselbury Plucknett Parish Baptism look up  (Read 1482 times)

Offline jkargale

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Haselbury Plucknett Parish Baptism look up
« on: Sunday 02 February 14 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello, is there anyone who would be willing to look up a Baptism for Haselbury Plucknett, Somerset.   . I am looking for a baptism record for Joseph GALE born December 8, 1781. I am hoping to confirm the birth at Haselbury Plucknett and to confirm his parents names.

I will very much appreciate any help.  Thanks so much.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Haselbury Plucknett Parish Baptism look up
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 February 14 19:15 GMT (UK) »
FreeREG has good coverage of Haselbury Plucknett. This looks like your man
(assuming he was born a little earlier than you suggest)

http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Baptisms&RecordID=5791795

David

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 February 14 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello jkargale and welcome to RootsChat!

I've had a look at the Haselbury Plucknett registers and there is no Joseph Gale baptised around the date you give for his birth. There is a Joseph Goall(spelling a bit iffy) on Nov 11 1781, son of Richard and Anne, but that's the nearest. It's unusual to have a birth date, rather than baptism date, for someone ordinary that far back, but then perhaps your Joseph wasn't ordinary. Could you tell us what grounds you have for believing it might be Haselbury Plucknett rather than other nearby villages (such as North Perrott)?

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 February 14 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Snap David! Sorry about that - my broadband decided to die just as I was posting, or I wouldn't have duplicated...
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline jkargale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 February 14 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela, thanks so very much for your quick reply. I had the name and birth date from a family bible, but unfortunately that source does not record the birth location. I thought it would be Haselbury-Plucknett because we think (but not positive) that his parents were Richard Gale and Ann and that they married in that Parish. However, sounds like Joseph was not baptised there. Thank you again so very much. 

Offline jkargale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 February 14 20:30 GMT (UK) »
oh wow David, thank you, just saw the record you found...this could be a possibility.  thanks so much

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 February 14 20:33 GMT (UK) »
I posted a number of other details but they seem to have been lost.... I'll have another go....

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 February 14 20:46 GMT (UK) »
deleted - posted in error