Author Topic: Woodlock Smith  (Read 26041 times)

Offline babygirlbill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Woodlock Smith
« Reply #27 on: Friday 06 June 08 15:59 BST (UK) »
Yes that was my post LOL.  Her name was Hannah but went by the name Annie, some certificates say Hannah, some Annie, they like to make things confusing dont they!!

Thanks for helping though, much appreciated. 
Buckley - Essex, London
Howsego/Housego - Essex, London
Lee - Essex, London
Williams

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 06 June 08 16:04 BST (UK) »
most welcome, if I come across anything Ill let you know :)

Offline social-butterflies

• RootsChat Senior
  • essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 06 June 08 16:11 BST (UK) »
hi tiggi,
could you tell me how to get the information on finding the link for samuel & sarah buckley? thank you for the personal replies, im going to have aread through after i get the kids sorted.
just to let yoou know that i do know for definate that alice and josiah were married, i have the dates somewhere if you are interested
amanda
buckley
webb
boswell (shadrack line)
pearse
lee
smith (inc epping forest)
heron
bibby

Offline Britgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 11 August 11 13:16 BST (UK) »
Woodlock was my ggg-grandfather Bartholomew Smith's brother.  Along with their other brother, Cornelius, they were known as The Converted Gipsy Brothers, having 'found God' and embarked on a life of travelling evangelistic preaching.  Cornelius was the father of the famed evangelist Gipsy Rodney Smith.  

In Rodney's 1901 autobiography  “Gipsy Smith: His Life and Work – by Himself” (in which there is a studio portrait of the three brothers), he wrote the following about his uncle:

"The brothers were not well up in etiquette, though in essentials they always behaved like the perfect gentlemen they were. They were drinking tea one afternoon at a well-to-do house. A lady asked Uncle Woodlock to pass her a tart. 'Certainly, madam.' said he, and lifting a tart with his fingers off the plate handed it to her. She accepted it with a gracious smile. When his mistake was afterwards pointed out to him, and he was told what he ought to have done, he took no offence, but he could not understand it at all. He kept on answering: 'Why, she did not ask me for the plateful; she asked for only one!' "

David Lazell's book "Gypsy from the Forest", a biography of Rodney Smith, quotes an article in the magazine "Loving and Sharing" in 1906 in which the magazine's proprietor, J.W.C. Fegan reminisced about the preaching Gypsy brothers:

"With his brothers, Bartholomew and Woodlock, Cornelius constituted the trio of gipsy brothers who had no pretensions to learning.  They were simple men; their books had been the hedgerows and the commons, and the streams and sky.  They lived in gipsy caravans, and wore the usual type of gipsy clothing.

In 1881, they came to the village of Downe in Kent, where my aged mother was living, in order to hold a Mission.  After breakfast and dinner, they used to get her to read the Bible aloud to them, while they gathered round and repeated after her, any special texts until they had committed them to memory.  Woodlock could read best of them all, and was gifted with the clearest, purest Saxon speech I have ever heard."

Another excerpt from the Rodney Smith autobiography:

"Uncle Woodlock was the first to go home. The three brothers were together conducting a Mission at Chingford in March, 1882. At the close, Woodlock was detained for a few minutes in earnest conversation with an anxious soul. My father and Bartholomew went on to take the train for Stratford, leaving Woodlock to make haste after them. Woodlock, in the darkness, ran with great force against a wooden post in the pathway. It was some time before he was discovered lying on the ground groaning in agony. To those who came to his help he said, 'I have got my death-blow; my work on earth is done, but all is bright above; and I am going home.'

His injuries were very severe, and though his suffering was great, he never once lost consciousness.

My father stayed by him all night, while Uncle Barthy returned to Stratford to tell the families about the accident. When morning dawned, Woodlock’s wife came to see him, and then he was removed to his own little home in Leytonstone, where he breathed his last ... He had been ill for twenty-eight hours.

He lies buried in Leytonstone church-yard ... He was followed to his grave by his sorrowing relatives and over fifty gipsies, while four hundred friends lined the approach to the church and burying-place. The parish church had a very unusual congregation that day, for the gipsy people pressed in with the others, and as the vicar read the burial service, hearts were deeply touched and tears freely flowed. At the grave, the two surviving brothers spoke of the loved one they had lost, and told the people of the grace of God which had redeemed them and their brother, and made them fit for the inheritance of the saints in light. Woodlock was a hale man, only forty-eight years of age."

I purchased the death certificate, which described the cause of death as "Puncture of intestines from fall".  The person who reg'd the death was an I (or a J?) Smith, son ... I don't have any details for this individual.  Does anyone else?

So far, I only have 4 'definite' children for Woodlock and wife Justinia/Justina/Testaner Buckley:
 - Celia (appears in the '71 census as "Seleh" and born in "Suffolk"), bap. 22 Feb 1857, Hockley, Essex(according to baptism details given in the back page notes in 'The Life Story of Gipsy Cornelius Smith' - Romany & Traveller Family History Society Classic Reprints).
 - Owen (appears in the '71 and '81 census with the family, shown as son), b. abt. 1866 in Norfolk (probably Wymondham, as the '81 census "Windon" / "Wendon" doesn't exist .. and Wymondham is pronounced "Wind 'um")
 - Hezekiah, b. abt. 1868.  The '81 describes him as "idiot".  Reputed to have died aged 19 from T.B. and cerebral apoplexy in a lunatic asylum in Essex in 1887 (other details as per Owen)
 - Matilda, b. abt. 1880, London City

So far, I have no offspring or marriages for any of the above children.

I'm not sure what to make of "Chlar Smith" a 25 year old married "daughter" b. Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, appearing in the '81 census in the family group.  A daughter-in-law?  To whom was she married?

(Too long ... to be continued!)

Offline Britgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 11 August 11 13:18 BST (UK) »
Woodlock’s wife Justinia was the daughter of Joiner / Janna / Jaina / John Buckley and Seni / Saney / Sarah Smith (and happens to be the elder sister of Naomi Buckley - ALSO my ggg-grandparent - who married James Taylor, whose son Alger married Bartholomew Smith's daughter Naomi!!!).  Rodney - again from his autobiography - had this to say about Justinia Buckley:

"Uncle Woodlock was not so fortunate in his wife as the other two brothers. She was not a Christian woman, and she had no respect and no sympathy for religious work. When Woodlock came home from his meetings his wife would give him her opinion, at great length and with great volubility, concerning him and his preaching. The poor man would listen with bowed head and in perfect silence, and, when she had finished her harangue, he would say, 'Now, my dear, we will have a verse,' and he would begin to sing, 'Must Jesus Bear the Cross Alone?' or, 'I'm Not Ashamed to Own My Lord!' or, 'My Jesus, I love Thee.' "

I hope all this – and the previous post - is of use to somebody!

Offline Britgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 11 August 11 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hopefully, this photo of L-R: Bartholomew, Cornelius and Woodlock Smith (bless Woodlock - his eyes are shut!) will load up okay.  This is the photo from Gipsy Rodney Smith's book which I mentioned earlier. Apologies in advance for the annoying moiré or 'cross-hatching', as often happens with a scan from a book.  I will attempt a close-up photo on my next try, as that seems less prone to this sort of visual interference.  I bought my copy of the autobiography on eBay for less than £10, so if you want a better quality version, I suggest buying the book  :)  Well worth a read for the early chapters containing lovely descriptions of Rom life in Victorian times.

Offline Britgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 11 August 11 13:55 BST (UK) »
That's good!  No visible cross-hatching in the photo ... looks better on here than the saved image on my computer  :o

Offline mar1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 25 February 12 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Britgal,
I have not been on this site for some time and glad I have.
I started the original subject and am pleased that I have another distant relative.
Woodlock Smith is my great,great grandfather and Owen Smith was my great grandfather.
Owen married Ruth Gaskin and was living in the next caravan in Wanstead on the 1881 census.
They had many children including John, Nathan,Lucy,Job,Arthur,Rodney[died as a child],Phoebe,Zegal,
Viner[my grandmother] and Betsy.

Offline Britgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 25 February 12 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi mar1,
Good to hear from you - sounds like we're 4th cousins once removed!  Have you been able to find Owen Smith on the census returns post 1881?  I'm afraid I've had no luck ... and also no luck in finding an Owen Smith / Ruth Gaskin marriage.
I'm hoping to travel to Leytonstone parish church to find Woodlock and Barthy's graves in early April.  Fingers crossed there are gravestones and that they are still legible.