Author Topic: My Romany connection.  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Steve Davidson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My Romany connection.
« on: Friday 22 August 14 22:36 BST (UK) »
I am a direct descendant of the Gibbings/Gibbons from North Devon, this family are believed to be a Romany Gypsy Family. A female member of this family married my gg grandfather who was not of gypsy. I have been trying to evidence the Romany connection. At this stage all I have to confirm that the Gibbings are Romany Gypsy is by thier occupation that of Marine Store Dealer, Hawkers and Chimney Sweep. The family appear to have fixed abodes and they moved around the North Devon area.
I would appreciate any support and advice to help me evidence the Romany connection.
I would like to know if it was common for Gypsies to marry non gypsies and should I assume that the Gibbings family tree upto the the marriage of my gg grandfather was of full gypsy origan.   

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Romany connection.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi. Steve.  Many romany folk marry georgio people. If it's a man coming in. He will most likely take the women's surname. If they live with travellers. Because it's easier. Still happens today. Marine merchant usually means rag and bone/scrap metal. Also many .travelling folks lived in a house in winter. But could always be found on the road at some point. Also not many were sweeps but there were some. The best way to check. As I have said before. In enquiries. Is look at the people around them in the census records. If they are romany? They may be mixing with romany folk. For those marrying in to the  romany family. It can be very difficult for some non travelling people. in romany life. The woman may have had contact with her family. But not the man? ? Still happens. And if they are living in houses. And not on the road. I doubt that they were living in a romany community.  Have a search see what you can find. Cushty boc. Good luck. .Rob .
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: My Romany connection.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Rob G's summed it up really as for Gibbons a very early Gypsy surname from 1579 no first names only ref-Gypsies passing through, good luck with your quest,
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.