Author Topic: John Cumming lookup Request  (Read 6801 times)

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Cumming lookup Request
« on: Wednesday 19 June 13 00:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, trying to find out any Information regarding John Cumming born 10/8/1798 Marnock Banff, died 10/3/1873 Glasgow Lanark. Married Jean(jane) Jamieson 1819 Banff. They have a son listed James born 1 or 8 Dec 1822 Gamrie Banff. I am trying to verify that these are the parents of George Cumming (GG Grandfather). I have a 1841 census, but he is not showing as he would have left then to join the army.I have info either side but nothing with him for actual verification.Any help much appreciated, thanks.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Cumming lookup Request
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 07:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

Is it possible to give George's date and place  of birth/death. etc. so that we might be able to locate the correct one?  Also, if he died in Scotland 1855 onwards, the death cert should give his parents' names.

At the moment, I can only find James's birth/bpt to these parents but it could be that records have been lost.  Only other son listed is William.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 07:58 BST (UK) »
Family search have these George Cumming(s) listed 1818 - 1835

1824  Marnoch  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XB3F-S4C

1829 Boyndie https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYD1-WFJ

1831 Boyndie https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYD1-WP8

Listing his children's names in birth order might also be a clue to his parents as traditional naming conventions were often used at that time.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 08:07 BST (UK) »
Previous discussion of this family in
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,647079.0.html

spacecookie, you'll probably find more information if you spell the parish Marnoch
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 08:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Forfarian  :)

I've just been looking through the census transcription 1841-1871 and none of them have Marnoch transcribed correctly so if spacecookie took the info from those, I'm not surprised.

The only George Cumming* in the OP records  born/bpt Banff circa 1825 is the one that I mentioned

4 July 1824 Marnoch to William Cumming and Helen Horn

Gadget

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi there,thanks for replying.From what i know it had his parents as John Cumming and Jean Jamieson,that came from a family member, no other info.  George was born 1825, that was on his Military papers.He was born in Banff.Got mixed up with the other GG Grandfather.    His children,born in NZ were George Smith Cumming (smith after his wifes maiden name), Alice, Eva Jean.Georges second name was Imlach. The names Jean,John,Alice,William and Imlach have been carried down generations. The reason for the enquiries is to try and be sure i have got the right parents and hoping to find him listed with them and siblings.     Sorry for the wrong spelling of Marnoch, thats how it was on one of my papers.thanks.  He left over there in 1843, for India enlisting at the age of 18. Forfarian has helped me a bit when i was looking for info on George,and gave me a few census things but the dates were a bit conflicting on the different years, but no George on them.He seems to have avoided appearing on any.If i cant verify any more info i will finish my Tree with George. Ive got alot further than i thought i would thanks to you all giving me a helping hand and i appreciate it very much, thanks.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

What documentary evidence do you have about where George was born and who his parents are?

You have said that his Military Papers say he was born in Denn or Dinn, Cavan, (which is Ireland not Scotland) but in an earlier topic you say someone said he was born in Banff, do you have a copy of his Military Record?

You need to be cautious in accepting information someone says unless they name a source that you can check or give you a copy of the source material.

Andy

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 11:04 BST (UK) »

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 11:20 BST (UK) »
Think I must be doing something wrong with the service records - I can only find a George Cumming* b.c. 1825 as born in Ayrshire  :-\  This one was in India at the correct time.

Where did you find the service records, spacecookie?