Author Topic: 2 records in Anc. 'Scotland, Select Marriages'  (Read 2643 times)

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
2 records in Anc. 'Scotland, Select Marriages'
« on: Saturday 22 February 14 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I think I know what this implies, but I've been away from this for a time and want to verify.

Record 1:
NAME:    Robert Shand
SPOUSE:    Jane England
MARRIAGE:    14 Dec 1799 - Episcopal,Portsoy,Banff,Scotland

Record 2:
NAME:    Robert Shand
SPOUSE:    Jean England
MARRIAGE:    14 Dec 1799 - Rothiemay,Banff,Scotland

I am thinking that one of the couple was Episcopal from Portsoy (red) and other was Church of Scotland from Rothiemay (blue).  Anyway of finding out which was which without seeing original?
EDIT:  might the fact that nearly all records I can find for their children are "submitted", rather than extracted, imply they were raised as Episcopalians?

Thanks,

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: 2 records in Anc. 'Scotland, Select Marriages'
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 February 14 16:34 GMT (UK) »
I am thinking that one of the couple was Episcopal from Portsoy (red) and other was Church of Scotland from Rothiemay (blue).

Yes.

Any way of finding out which was which without seeing original?

No.

might the fact that nearly all records I can find for their children are "submitted", rather than extracted, imply they were raised as Episcopalians?

Possibly. It certainly implies that they were baptised in the Episcopal Church, however they may subsequently have been brought up.

There is no substitute for looking at the original records. What you get in any index does not always include all the information in the original, and what is there may have been incorrectly transcribed. Especially on Ancestry. It is false economy to try not to look at original documents.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 February 14 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Do Ancestry take these records directly from Family Search?

I have noticed that  mis-transcription errors from FS records have also found their way onto Ancestry.
Ancestry records are also quoting the same FS film number!

Online Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 February 14 10:19 GMT (UK) »
I have got the impression that all those "Select" databases on Ancestry are simply lifted from familysearch, exactly as they are. 

"Submitted" information means that it has been supplied by a member of the LDS, and it may or may not have been taken directly from an original source, unlike "extracted" information which is definitely transcribed from an original source.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk