Author Topic: Neilan, Gerald and Anthony, Ballyglada, Roscommon  (Read 25883 times)

Offline johnny_doyle

• RootsChat Senior
  • Genealogy = navigating brick walls........
    • View Profile
Re: Neilan, Gerald and Anthony, Ballyglada, Roscommon
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 November 10 18:44 GMT (UK) »
John Charles Stuart Wortley Neilan appears to have been registered in Q1 1911, Easington, Durham. Date of birth 14th January 1911. Aero cert registered 1/9/1934; address Tempest House, Seaham Harbour, Durham.

Dr John Alexander Neilan died in Scarborough in 1947. He registered an aero certificate on the 24th November 1935 for the same plane as John C S W Neilan; same address as above.

The birth of Sybil Mary S Neilan was registered in Q3 1908 in Easington, Durham. Date of birth 23rd July 1908. She appears not to have married and died in Scarborough in 1995. The mother Sybil S Neilan appears to have died in Scarborough in 1954.

Gerald P Neilan's birth was registered in Q1 1918 in Easington, Durham. Mothers maiden name Corbett. Gerald Patrick Neilan died 5th June 1933. His gravestone can be seen at

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/detailfs?userid={07E767B9-6071-47FE-B9B9-DAC9E87A8215}&ndx=28&slideshow=0&AlbumId={3A315EDF-8E88-4861-8655-15F842968DC0}&GroupId={FE659845-C803-46E8-9CC6-DC7FFE07B593}&screenheight=800

Niland/Neiland/Neilan/Nyland - Dublin
Doyle - Enniscorthy
McCullen - Coastguards from Drogheda, Co Louth
Shepley - Macclesfield and Wheelock
Clarke - Macclesfield
McDermott - Macclesfield and Dublin
Pender - Dublin
O'Brien - Dublin and Galbally

Offline johnny_doyle

• RootsChat Senior
  • Genealogy = navigating brick walls........
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 November 10 19:53 GMT (UK) »

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=37603704

Dr Alan Joseph Neilan died Wakefield, Yorkshire 1959. Tempest House, Seaham is his on his WW1 medal index card.

Eva Neilan (nee Kelly) died in Dublin, 1930.

Eva Mary Neilan married William Harriss in Easington, Durham Q1 1919
Niland/Neiland/Neilan/Nyland - Dublin
Doyle - Enniscorthy
McCullen - Coastguards from Drogheda, Co Louth
Shepley - Macclesfield and Wheelock
Clarke - Macclesfield
McDermott - Macclesfield and Dublin
Pender - Dublin
O'Brien - Dublin and Galbally

Offline peterg13446

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 13 November 10 19:09 GMT (UK) »
The info on John Charles Neilan, aviator was much appreciated. I imagine Johnny that you have access to the Royal Aero Club pilot record cards and if so you were kind enough to give the date but I wonder if I might have the number of John's certificate and any detail of the aircraft and different levels of licence he achieved over time.

On a general point, I thought I saw somewhere that Hohn's father, John Alexander Neilan was one of seven children born to a John Neilan from Ballyglada, Roscommon, but can't put my hand on it. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Peter

Offline AaronGray

• reporter
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys.

I am working in the BBC in Belfast, putting together a programme proposal about the 1916 Rising for its 100th anniversary.

We're really interested in the Neilan brothers, and I was wondering if anyone knew any more. Especially about Arthur/Anthony - Corisande has done some fantastic work in putting together info on Gerald. Ideally, I'd send a PM or two, introducing myself, but I need to post a couple times more to be able to do that.

Would I get my knuckles rapped for posting a couple of times for the sake of it, so I could PM?

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 15:20 GMT (UK) »
It is often suggested! What do you need to know about the men? Family memories or family tree references?
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline AaronGray

• reporter
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 15:30 GMT (UK) »
 I've noticed them mentioned in passing in a number of different books or websites. I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any diaries or letters etc in any sources? Family memories would be fantastic. I have a broad-brushstrokes sense of the family - Catholic, middle-class, most joined British armed forces - and just would like to start digging down into their story.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Right - as Arthur went to Clongowes which is still in existence you may find you can source information there as they are a school that tends to keep in touch with past pupils
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline AaronGray

• reporter
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks. I've seen that Arthur/Anthony died in St Bircin's military hospital, and that he was still in the Irish Army. Is there a way to go digging there? I see on their website they say they will only respond to family requests for information.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 16:08 GMT (UK) »
St. Bricin's is still in operation and is sitiated close to Heuston Railway Station
It is operated/ran by the military LINK
As it has remained in continuous military operation records may be available

other links
1901 Census return for the NEILAN family
1911 Census for Eva and three children
1911 Census for Arthur There is also a John shown who is too young to be his brother, a cousin perhaps?
Marriage of John NEILAN and Eva KELLY
Further generations: